• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bug

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://comingsoon.net/films.php?id=12241

Director: William Friedkin
Screenwriter:
Tracy Letts
Starring: Ashley Judd, Harry Connick, Jr., Lynn Collins, Brían O'Byrne, Michael Shannon
Genre: Psychological Thriller

Plot Summary: A lonely waitress with a tragic past, Agnes rooms in a run-down motel, living in fear of her abusive, recently paroled ex-husband. But when Agnes begins a tentative romance with Peter, an eccentric, nervous drifter, she starts to feel hopeful again - until the first bugs arrive...

Probing the blurry lines between paranoia and nightmarish reality, Liongate's "Bug" is an intense, mind-bending psychological thriller in which nothing is quite as it seems. Directed by Academy Award® winner William Friedkin ("The French Connection," "The Exorcist") and adapted by Tracy Letts from his hit off-Broadway play, "Bug" stars Golden Globe nominee Ashley Judd, Harry Connick, Jr., Lynn Collins, Brían O'Byrne and Michael Shannon.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]trailer
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/bug.html

bugonesheetid3.jpg

bug1hj3.jpg

bug2mp4.jpg

bug3un8.jpg

bug7mv1.jpg

bug10lb3.jpg

bug11oz2.jpg

[/FONT]

looks like crap :(

I'm not a horror fan so I'm not particularly looking forward to this.

The poster looks like it's cashing in on Saw.

I think it looks like an interesting psychological thriller and i love Ashley Judd:O

hunter rider said:
I think it looks like an interesting psychological thriller and i love Ashley Judd:O
who doesnt?.. she's awesome

MrScissorhands said:
You gotta love Ashley Judd, for this if nothing else. :up:
(warning : mild nudity alert)
lol...salma should have done it too dammit!! :mad:

This movie looks great. Why are people saying it's a horror movie? :confused: Cause it's not.

The poster sucks, though.

Come on, people! It's William Freakin Friedkin here! We're not talking about Michael Bay or PWS Anderson or any of those hacks!

Man this couldn't have picked a worst date could it? May 25th? going head to head with pOTC 3 and Shrek 3 from the week before?

Man this couldn't have picked a worst date could it? May 25th? going head to head with pOTC 3 and Shrek 3 from the week before?

Bad timing but Lucky You did the same thing. It will probably be a sleeper hit to those who don't want to see shrek or pirates.

Bad timing but Lucky You did the same thing. It will probably be a sleeper hit to those who don't want to see shrek or pirates.
Yeah i was think the same think about that also.

And lucky you is just a clone of other various drew barrymore movies. Like the one with Hugh Grant. instead of poker its music.

The whole thought of this movie has me all tense....can't wait. :csad: :up:

Thats all Lionsgate has.

Well they're a small studio that's just blooming, they specialize in independent low budget types.

New Line was like that a few decades ago, when they all they had was A Nightmare on Elm Street, since then they've had a hell of alot more.

I can't wait for Bug, I love visceral, intense horror. I'll probably see it on the 25th since I'm going to Pirates the night before.

Review: `Bug' Bugs Out Toward the End

"Bug" is a different kind of woman-in-peril movie starring Ashley Judd, which has long been its own specific genre.

Judd is indeed in peril here once again, following "Kiss the Girls" and "Twisted" and the like, but she gets to prove she can actually act with some depth, and not just look pretty under strain. Whatever unexpected ability she shows in the early scenes of this paranoid thriller go utterly to waste, however, as the film spirals ridiculously out of control by the end.

The film comes from veteran William Friedkin ("The Exorcist" "The French Connection"), a director who has seen better days, decades ago. Friedkin still maintains a mastery of suspense for the first half or so though he does rely a bit too heavily on that "Apocalypse Now"-style, ceiling-fan-as-helicopter effect and "Bug" can be intriguing as a character study of two damaged people who find a whole new way to damage each other further. Until it just becomes silly, that is.

Judd stars as Agnes, a lonely waitress at a run-down bar who lives in an even rattier motel, subsisting on a diet of cigarettes, vodka and pot. It appears Judd borrowed her wardrobe of cut-off denim shorts and trashy tank tops from her recent small, Southern drama, "Come Early Morning"; both films allowed the usually beautiful actress to slum it aesthetically for her art.

Agnes' only friend is fellow waitress R.C. (Lynn Collins), who is pretty and gay and who flirts with her and makes her feel loved, or at least vaguely wanted. Sporadically, Agnes' brutish ex-husband (Harry Connick Jr. as a believable bad guy) breezes in and abuses her physically and mentally. Something horrific happened that tore them apart, which we learn about later.

But her pathetic life gets shaken up by a quiet drifter named Peter (Michael Shannon, whose presence and delivery are riveting), who hangs out at the bar one night and quickly moves in with her. He's decent to her, which most people aren't; she listens to him, which most people don't. Their shared neediness is palpable. Their big love scene, however, is laughable overly artsy and pretentious, with extreme close-ups of Judd's breasts, which may sound hot but, in truth, it's distracting.

Once Agnes and Peter fall for each other, it doesn't take long for him to suck her into his delusional conspiracy theories involving the military, scientific testing, chemical technology and ... bugs! Hence the title.

The former soldier says he's the victim of an experiment in which insects have been inserted into his body as transmitters, and now he's on the run from the government. Or something. Or as he puts it when he spots one of the insects crawling on the bed, "It's a bloodsucking aphid, and we're infested."

The movie is based on the play by Tracy Letts (who also wrote the script), and it feels like it. Much of the action takes place in Agnes' room, which slowly evolves or rather, devolves as the couple's fear and codependency grow. Maybe the conceit works better on stage; on screen, it results in a feeling of redundancy. (Shannon appeared in the play, as well.)

If the idea of the bugs had remained as a metaphor, one that's open for interpretation, we would have been fine. Agnes says to Peter at one point, "I'd rather talk with you about bugs than about nothing with nobody," and the moment seems real. You know what she means.

But then a doctor (Brian F. O'Byrne) shows up at the door, along with a mysterious pizza that no one ordered. Eventually the room is covered in aluminum foil and insect-zapping strips, and any subtlety of emotion or meaning that existed earlier has been zapped, too.

Make that obliterated: "Bug" ends shrilly, overzealously, explosively. Literally. It's sound and fury signifying nothing, though it was probably intended to be profound.

"Bug," a Lionsgate release, is rated R for some strong violence, sexuality, nudity, language and drug use. Running time: 102 minutes. Two stars out of four.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20070521/117979086000.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"