Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61518

Penhall Writing Mendes Film Butcher's Crossing

Source:The Hollywood Reporter
December 9, 2009

Joe Penhall (The Road) will write the screenplay for the Sam Mendes-directed Butcher's Crossing, an adaptation of John Williams' 1960 Western novel at Focus Features.

Set during the 1870s, the adventure story centers on a man who drops out of Harvard and heads west to the small Kansas town of the title. There, he joins the search for a great buffalo herd.

Mendes and his Neal Street Prods. partners Pippa Harris and Caro Newling are producing with Polsky Films' Gabe and Alan Polsky.

I love a good western, should be interesting to see how Mendes handles the genre.

Yeah, westerns rock. But Mendes wouldn't be the first bland director to flush good potential through the toilet (Mangold, 3:10 to Yuma). Every western has potential to be good, I'm wondering who will be in this.

Disagreed but I am interested to see who he casts.

Mendes seems like an odd choice, but we'll see how it turns out.

I thought 3:10 to Yuma was good, although I attribute that to the characters and performances much more than direction.

And I have to admit I clicked on this topic because it has a similar name to Miller's Crossing.

This looks pretty good! I'm nervous about them managing to pull off the adaptation - Butcher's Crossing is one of the greatest revisionist Westerns, but it's very dense - but Cage and Raci are perfectly cast and the visuals look gorgeous. Hope this turns out to be a good time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"