Butter isn't bad for you

DA_Champion

Avenger
Reaction score
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0158118

Is Butter Back? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Butter Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, and Total Mortality

Abstract

Background

Dietary guidelines recommend avoiding foods high in saturated fat. Yet, emerging evidence suggests cardiometabolic benefits of dairy products and dairy fat. Evidence on the role of butter, with high saturated dairy fat content, for total mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes remains unclear. We aimed to systematically review and meta-analyze the association of butter consumption with all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes in general populations.

Methods and Findings

We searched 9 databases from inception to May 2015 without restriction on setting, or language, using keywords related to butter consumption and cardiometabolic outcomes. Prospective cohorts or randomized clinical trials providing estimates of effects of butter intake on mortality, cardiovascular disease including coronary heart disease and stroke, or diabetes in adult populations were included. One investigator screened titles and abstracts; and two reviewed full-text articles independently in duplicate, and extracted study and participant characteristics, exposure and outcome definitions and assessment methods, analysis methods, and adjusted effects and associated uncertainty, all independently in duplicate. Study quality was evaluated by a modified Newcastle-Ottawa score. Random and fixed effects meta-analysis pooled findings, with heterogeneity assessed using the I2 statistic and publication bias by Egger’s test and visual inspection of funnel plots. We identified 9 publications including 15 country-specific cohorts, together reporting on 636,151 unique participants with 6.5 million person-years of follow-up and including 28,271 total deaths, 9,783 cases of incident cardiovascular disease, and 23,954 cases of incident diabetes. No RCTs were identified. Butter consumption was weakly associated with all-cause mortality (N = 9 country-specific cohorts; per 14g(1 tablespoon)/day: RR = 1.01, 95%CI = 1.00, 1.03, P = 0.045); was not significantly associated with any cardiovascular disease (N = 4; RR = 1.00, 95%CI = 0.98, 1.02; P = 0.704), coronary heart disease (N = 3; RR = 0.99, 95%CI = 0.96, 1.03; P = 0.537), or stroke (N = 3; RR = 1.01, 95%CI = 0.98, 1.03; P = 0.737), and was inversely associated with incidence of diabetes (N = 11; RR = 0.96, 95%CI = 0.93, 0.99; P = 0.021). We did not identify evidence for heterogeneity nor publication bias.

Conclusions

This systematic review and meta-analysis suggests relatively small or neutral overall associations of butter with mortality, CVD, and diabetes. These findings do not support a need for major emphasis in dietary guidelines on either increasing or decreasing butter consumption, in comparison to other better established dietary priorities; while also highlighting the need for additional investigation of health and metabolic effects of butter and dairy fat.

SHH Community has turned into a twisted form of WebMD.

I don't like butter anyway, except on my popcorn.

Eat what you want but in moderation and exercise.

tumblr_m963fjfsLq1r4gei2o6_400.gif

I only use butter on my naked body.

I actually read the paper, and I don't understand why they speak abotu a christopher nolan's movie (even though it's a great movie).

Every time a new study comes in with different results.
Just eat what you need to stay up and running, don't over do it.

A butter face, on the other hand, can be detrimental if you mess around and impregnate her.

He definitely stopped eating it for GoTG though. But I've read somewhere he now bathes in it.

Too much of anything isnt good for you. Even drinking too much water can kill you.

Go easy on the "healthy foods" and you can have "unhealthy" ones occasionally too.
Exercise is always recommended, but find the one you enjoy the most - so you'll do it at least 3 times a week for 20 to 30 minutes. (I know which exercise I would pick ;) )

Oh and I would also add, don't put too much importance on any of these "studies". Sometimes they are biased by the group that funded them or the place where they were done.

Every time a new study comes in with different results.
Just eat what you need to stay up and running, don't over do it.

This. I stopped listening to studies yeas ago.

I'm not a major butter user to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"