CBMs That Aged Well?

The Crow (1994) would be at the top of my list. Perhaps it's the associate with Brandon Lee's tragic death but the movie still gives me the chills every time I see it...

Daredevil '03 Director's Cut. Definitely an underrated gem. Much darker than I was expecting...

Hulk '03. I appreciate how Lee tried to incorporate horror themes into the narrative, which I feel elevated it above typical CBM fare...
I have never watched Daredevil. :hehe:

b1ee166a8495f5d04b77ed0175d1067bd8d34f5a.gifv

The Director's Cut is an epic watch, much more in keeping with the character. Personally love it.
But the beauty of the Netflix show may taint it for me. :o

Also that and I have to spend money to watch it.

The effects, yes.

Shame about the aesthetics though.

Nightcrawler is still one of the best make-up designs in the history of the genre, so I don't really have any problem with the aesthetics of X2 (though it would've been nice if they had actually embraced some more color in the secon trilogy).

But the beauty of the Netflix show may taint it for me. :o

Also that and I have to spend money to watch it.
I watched it when it was on Prime Video some months back and I wasn't impressed. Is it a better movie than the theatrical cut? Of course. But it's still nothing special, especially when compared to Netflix's DD.

I watched it when it was on Prime Video some months back and I wasn't impressed. Is it a better movie than the theatrical cut? Of course. But it's still nothing special, especially when compared to Netflix's DD.
It's $15 on Prime Video to watch now.

The Crow (1994) would be at the top of my list. Perhaps it's the association with Brandon Lee's tragic death but the movie still gives me the chills every time I see it...

How did I not think of this. Absolutely 100%

I would also add V for Vendetta as well. If anything, its relevance has grown.

Most of the good hold up, I rarely think less of a movie after a while, but Spider-Man 2 and Batman Returns particularly feel like they could come out right now and still be mind-blowing for now.

X-Men - the Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen confrontations in that movie still give me goosebumps

Batman 89 - my first theater experience never will forget it

X-Men, yes, but especially X2: X-Men United. The movies a masterpiece. It’s such a tight script and elevates every aspect of the first film.

GDT’s Hellboy is another standout. The opening sequence on the Nazi island is still one of the best in the genre.

Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. I think the original script could be shot today with a new cast and director and still break the box office. A timeless story.

And maybe my most controversial, but I don’t think Superman Returns gets enough respect. I liked it then and I like it now. A villain to punch would have helped, yes, but I thought it was such a poignant story and was absolutely looking forward to a sequel. Plus, we all love Superman as a dad now.

I do think the first Spider-Man and, more obviously, Daredevil felt overly-influenced by the Batman movies.

Any quality film will 'stand up' in any era. Quality speaks throughout time.

Obviously a great film remains great, but everything ages. Nothing is truely timeless; the sights, sounds and even the language used will date a thing eventually.

The SFX in Superman (1978) for it's time, still resonate well and 'stand up' for me. Its sheer charm, spectacle and wonder still dazzle today.

IMO… a lot of the Lex Luthor stuff in STM is dated. Now, obviously, many folks (especially of a certain age) still have a nostalgic affection for the goofy antics of Lex, Otis and Miss T. (and the comedic performances by Hackman, Beatty and Perrine). But I think this high camp approach (hardly distinguishable from Batman 66) is discordant with the rest of the movie — which more-or-less follows Donner’s famous “verisimilitude” mission statement. This was true even back in 1978. But it’s become more obvious with the passage of time.

By contrast, the Krypton and Smallville sequences in STM are near perfection. They easily hold up today. And even the Metropolis/DP scenes (clearly modelled on 1940s “screwball comedies”) still have a charm and kinda still work. But the Luthor material, not so much…

Agreed on STM. It's still wonderful and charming, but there's a few moments that are pretty creaky. I had no childhood attachment to that film when I watched it, so it felt pretty dated to me.

I feel the similarly about Batman '89. It's most prominently sounds in that one that date it. Great films though. It's impossible to predict what will age your film the worst. I think Macy Gray performing in Spider-Man makes it feel more 2000s than anything else ha.

IMO… a lot of the Lex Luthor stuff in STM is dated. Now, obviously, many folks (especially of a certain age) still have a nostalgic affection for the goofy antics of Lex, Otis and Miss T. (and the comedic performances by Hackman, Beatty and Perrine). But I think this high camp approach (hardly distinguishable from Batman 66) is discordant with the rest of the movie — which more-or-less follows Donner’s famous “verisimilitude” mission statement. This was true even back in 1978. But it’s become more obvious with the passage of time.

By contrast, the Krypton and Smallville sequences in STM are near perfection. They easily hold up today. And even the Metropolis/DP scenes (clearly modelled on 1940s “screwball comedies”) still have a charm and kinda still work. But the Luthor material, not so much…

I'm old and I will always love it. Take what you are saying about the Lex stuff though.

I would love for Hulk (2003) to be given a second chance. I watched it again recently a few weeks ago after having not seen it in years.

I feel this is a really under-appreciated film. Excellent acting. A great score. And compelling action.

I know everyone loves to joke about the Hulk dogs but that’s a frightening action sequence — the likes of which you don’t see in many/any modern-day CBMs. And the comic book panel camera effects are not really as predominant as I remembered. And actually provided for some pretty cool visuals as it turns out lol.

I would love for Hulk (2003) to be given a second chance. I watched it again recently a few weeks ago after having not seen it in years.

I feel this is a really under-appreciated film. Excellent acting. A great score. And compelling action.

I know everyone loves to joke about the Hulk dogs but that’s a frightening action sequence — the likes of which you don’t see in many/any modern-day CBMs. And the comic book panel camera effects are not really as predominant as I remembered. And actually provided for some pretty cool visuals as it turns out lol.

I was just going to post this. I think Hulk while has its problems (mostly pacing in that first act) for what it is, is a movie that will be better admired at least. If Marvel ever makes a Hulk movie, it'll be a typical Marvel product.

The 00s though they had their ups and downs, were a time when they didn't have everything figured out yet, so you can get the guy who did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to do a Hulk film, and he goes ahead and makes this weird psycho drama. It doesn't completely work, but there's a real vision behind it with many interesting ideas. This movie wouldn't get made now, sometimes for good reasons, but in the cultural context of now, in an era of homogenized corporate products, it's refreshing.

I still believe a psycho drama for Hulk is a good core story, just you know, make the pacing better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"