China Has Landed on The Moon

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.jpg

A spacecraft launched by China has landed on the moon, the first "soft landing" a man-made object has made on the moon since 1976.
Only the United States and Soviet Union have landed objects on the moon previously. The Chang'e 3 lander is carrying a rover which will explore the lunar surface for the next three months. While the United States has turned most of its attention away from the Moon and towards Mars, China has focused on our satellite, aiming to land a human on the lunar surface by 2030.
The landing, which was broadcast on Chinese television, happened at 9:14 p.m. local time. The rover will explore the Bay of Rainbows, where it will conduct studies on the geology of the unexplored part of the moon. The probe and its rover are expected to photograph each other later this weekend, to prove the success of the mission.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/14/chinese-spacecraft-lands-moon-china?CMP=twt_fd

Awesome, the more world powers in the space game the better it will be for all of us. Now how long until China builds a death ray on the moon?

It was probably just a plastic bag full of takeout menus.

Cool they're also stepping up their plans to build a space station by 2020.

Now if only we could drop all the other has-been/never-really-were celebrities there.

Oh boy! You mean we might get a man on the moon by 2030!?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Why aint they spendin' teh money fixin' the ecanamy?! They should be concerned about having moar gunz and Jesus burgers!!!!!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Why aint they spendin' teh money fixin' the ecanamy?! They should be concerned about having moar gunz and Jesus burgers!!!!!
[/FONT]

it's china you buffoon. :o

Ya you would think the computers would be a little more up to date than that, then again I'm not sure how current the photo is or if it was taken when they landed

If this was the 1960s, I might be impressed.

While not that "impressive" of an achievement, it does indicate that they are developing the pipeline of resources and production necessary to amp up their space programs.

I do think they'll get the world's attention when they put a man with a red flag on the moon in about ten years.

China-Moon-Mission.jpg

If that doesn't rekindle America's interest in space exploration, nothing will.

From the reaction on this thread I don't think it will. The public will probably be as condescending and mocking as we've seen. Even though I posted the pic of Chyna, I don't think their accomplishment is something to scoff at.

"The rover will explore the Bay of Rainbows, where it will conduct studies on the geology of the unexplored part of the moon." This is what piques my interest the most. It's possible they won't find anything of interest but it'd be a kick in the pants if they did. ;)

It turns out the rover on the moon is equipped with a radar system that can provide imagery 100 feet below the lunar surface. What they are looking for are naturally formed tunnels. The tunnels may have been developed by lava flow.The area the probe was sent to is one of the most recently volcanic on the moon. Due to the possibility of these tunnels the area the rover is in has been proposed as a possible future build site on the moon.

So there actually is significant work to be done in the area.

Maybe now everyone will start ponying up more cash for the space programs. It's not like 99% of everything we could possibly need forever is up there.

Maybe now everyone will start ponying up more cash for the space programs. It's not like 99% of everything we could possibly need forever is up there.
Yes that is exactly what it is like :dry: :o

It turns out the rover on the moon is equipped with a radar system that can provide imagery 100 feet below the lunar surface. What they are looking for are naturally formed tunnels. The tunnels may have been developed by lava flow.The area the probe was sent to is one of the most recently volcanic on the moon. Due to the possibility of these tunnels the area the rover is in has been proposed as a possible future build site on the moon.

So there actually is significant work to be done in the area.

That's pretty neat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"