Choosing the right superhero actor

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://media.www.michigandaily.com/...osing.The.Right.Superhero.Actor-2764266.shtml

By Elie Zwiebel, Daily Arts Writer
3/8/07

In the wake of botched comic-book adaptations like "Ghost Rider" and "X-Men: The Last Stand," it's time to examine what it takes to make a great movie superhero. Keep the following three rules in mind before you get your heart set on seeing Tobey Maguire in "Spiderman 3," the "Fantastic Four" sequel or any movie with your favorite childhood - or geek-hood - superhero vitalized via some Hollywood star.

Rule No. 1 - It might seem obvious, but the actor should fit the part. If the comic-book version was muscle-bound, the film one should correspond. Likewise, if the cartoon adaptation was young, the actor should probably not be pushing 40.

No one would deny that Christian Bale had the youth - and guns - to be the dark knight in "Batman Begins" (2005). But Billy Zane's pudgy pot-belly and flabby arms made him a poor candidate for "The Phantom" (1996). Even if the superhero isn't trim and cut, casting makes a big difference. Patrick Stewart's bald head and angular jaw suit Professor X perfectly in "X-men" (2000). In superhero talk, looks do matter.

Rule No. 2 - Either the actor playing a superhero must be dynamic or he must have no reputation that precedes him. If the actor is relatively unknown, the audience won't want to cheer for him. Think of superhero casting as a Hollywood-meets-comic-book draft for dorks. Everyone wants to see the big names. Conversely, if a big name is cast but he doesn't have the skills for the part - or if off-screen image interferes with the part - that actor or actress should be immediately disqualified.

Prior to "Batman" (1989), Michael Keaton had demonstrated the ability to fit flawlessly in comedies, dramas and action films. He had a range that allowed him to set the bar for the filmic Batman. Meanwhile, Ioann Gruffudd - who? - was too unknown to be Mr. Fantastic in the first "Fantastic Four," and Michael Jai White wasn't popular enough to be head hellraiser in "Spawn" (1997).

While obscurity is a no-no in superhero casting, an even bigger one is picking a famous actor based solely on popularity and without regard for the actor's ability or off-screen reputation. Halle Berry is a poor superheroine as Storm in "X-Men" and in "Catwoman" simply because she's no good in action flicks - for further evidence, note that poor excuse for a Bond flick "Die Another Day" (2002).

Rule No. 3: The actor must be able to be both the brawn and the socially awkward alias. Every superhero has an alias, and every alias has a moral conflict. That's what makes the character and story interesting. It's the doorway through which we can relate to this otherwise unbelievable character. So the actor better be able to be both of the character's personas.

Christopher Reeves defined the modern Superman ("Superman," 1978) as both an imperturbable man of steel and an uncomfortable Clark Kent. Brandon Routh in "Superman Returns" is believable as Superman, but struggles to exude the cheesy, awkward nature of Clark Kent.

Tobey Maguire is an interesting case. He was great as a high school, or even collegiate, Peter Parker in "Spider-Man" (2002). But his boyish looks make him unbelievable as the older, more mature and weathered Parker or Spiderman. Not only does he still look like he's pubescent, he sounds it, too; when his voice cracks in the "Spider-Man 3" preview while saying "the power," he doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

So there it is. Now it's all the more obvious why Jennifer Gardner, Jessica Alba, Chris O'Donnell, Hugh Jackman and too many more failed as superheroes. When you're having a debate with a friend over who was the best Batman, you'll have reason to discount Clooney and Kilmer. And we should all forget that Kelsey Grammar was ever mentioned in the same breath with the word "superhero."

This guy has a lot of typing errors in this article(names wrong..etc)....but I still think he makes a few good points

Sounds like someone who thinks he "gets" it. I heard Nick Cage did great as Blaze.

I personally think casting these things are just crap shoots. You can get a guy who seems ideal.....and it can still hit the fan and make a mess. There's no rule book on making these things.

Michael Keaton would never had been casted if they'd followed these 3 rules, b/c he doesn't look the part.

It's all like playing russian roulette.....you can only prepare the bullet and spin the chamber.....the rest is up to lady luck.

I think sometimes the actor is too popular or well known or something and their real life identity is all people see when they watch the movie.
Gret examples are Halle Berry as Storm in all three X-men movies, and Ben Afleck as Daredevil in the Daredevil movie and in the Elektra film.

But again sometimes it is just a random thing, they pick a well known actor and he or she brings the comic character to life. I can't really think of any film off the top of my head but I think it has happened.
Oh, maybe Batman Begins.

Sometimes an unknown is better but then they can become too associated with that character, but thats a different thing.

Mmmmmmm,

I think rule 1 is very important.

Patrick Stewart is a perfect example ..... the man was BORN to play Xavier, everything about him is spot on and as such the role was flawless.

But it is very difficult .... Keaton was cast as Batman because he had that subtle psychotic edge which Bats needs, but in general its very hit and miss.

He had me until he said Jackman was bad, and Kelsey Grammer was the best thing about X3. He was born for that role IMO.

Unknowns can really work for super hero movies. Jackman, Routh for example. Ioan didn't really work at the time because the film was crap, and he's not the right stature or age for the role (yet).

The list also misses one crucial factor, ENUTHIASM for the role.

Jackman, Stewart, McKellan, Bale, Snipes, the guy that did the Thing are the most important.

Cage's enthusiam carried Ghost Rider when the screen wasn't a CGI orgy.

I barely agree with any of it, especially the part about Billy Zane in the phantom. Zane was in amazing shape for the movie, even though the movie wasn't one of the best.

That article is ridiculous in my opinion. I ran ran into one person outside of the net who said they didn't enjoy Tobey in that role. Whocares about his voice, thats something that doesn't bother most people and he can't change it. I love em to death but what about Bale's awful Batman voice that he made up? He did not do pitch perfect job in that movie.

while I agree with parts of the article (X3's crappiness, Tobey's not all that), on the whole it's pure bulls#!t.

he keeps contradicting himself.

Rule 1) Keaton looked NOTHING like Bruce Wayne/Batman, yet he praises him in rule 2...

Rule 2) "While obscurity is a no-no in superhero casting"?! good thing Richard Donner didn't read this when he was casting Superman The Movie. moron...

I do agree with what he says about Tobey. not because he sounds pubescent, but he just sounds way too f***in dull. and Spidey should NEVER be dull.

This guy's a moron, casting isn't the reason why a comic book movie fails, it's the script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"