Clive Barker's Jericho: PS3 Demo Impressions

Electro UK

Can't all be for nothing
Reaction score
Okay so the demo took a long ass time to download, but was ultimately worth it.

I think there's 6 different people, all with 4 different attacks/uses (2 weapon attacks and 2 spell attacks/uses), giving you around 24 different things to pull off in the game, a fair number (considering they can also use melee attacks). The demo gives you control of 3 of those characters, 2 women, and a black guy.

The first of these two women carries a sniper rifle with a mounted grenade launcher (a nice combination if I do say so myself). She can guide her sniper bullets, but also do a sort of "force push" if you will, used for clearing out objects. She's a pretty fun character, considering the rifle isn't too sloggish, meaning she isn't useless in close quaters situations.

The other of the two bears a niffty machine pistol, and a kickass sword, which will endlessly swipe (realistically shaking your head etc) if you hold the button down. Her spells drain HP as she cuts her hand to enable them. They are a kind of stun attack, and an area attack that burns enemies. Again, a fun character.

The black dude, is basically Rico from the Killzone series. Big and hefty, with a massive mini gun to riddle the enemy with. He's also equppied with a little pistol, should you run out of ammo. His powers invovle shooting fireballs and instantly setting people alight. He's pretty handy, though his powers don't add much.

Let me also say the game's a graphical stunner. On par with Bioshock, best looking game on PS3 to date. This comes in handy giving how gory the game is. Blood is everywhere. Spattered on walls, lying in massive puddles, spraying from enemies, its disgustingly brilliant.

With the use of weapons, you also find a genuine desire to use the powers, and they don't feel tacked on, which is a big +.

What does feel tacked on is the Friendly Command system. Its easy to forget about, and there's no way to tell if your team mates are in trouble, or if they could be taking advantages of something. What doesn't help is the fact your friends tend to think "Nah, you go on and fight these billons of enemies, we'll stay here." Its not fatal, but its a shame.

There was also more useage of God of War/Resi 4 style quick button press events. It worked well here. You fail, and in around 5 seconds, you're trying again anyway. The only problem is its a little hard to see what button is meant to be pressed at times, it took me a few tries before I saw the Circle button flash up on the right side of my screen.

The demo's also a little short. Just when its about to get good, it ends, which is a shame, but with 3 playable characters, there's plently of replayability.

Overall, a very promising demo, and I'll be buying this game in a flash. Hope the reviews reflect my thoughts.

OK, how's the horror factor? Because I absolutely LOVED Clive Barker's previous game - Undying. Scary as f**k. It was a REAL gem, so horribly underrated and unappreciated it makes me want to skin alive the mainstream gamer. :cmad:

But yeah, I have high hopes for this one. :up:

OK, how's the horror factor? Because I absolutely LOVED Clive Barker's previous game - Undying. Scary as f**k. It was a REAL gem, so horribly underrated and unappreciated it makes me want to skin alive the mainstream gamer. :cmad:

But yeah, I have high hopes for this one. :up:

The quick button press scene was quite jumpy (I'll leave you to see what happens in it), and there were some creepy dark areas where you flicked the flashlight on and an enemy was standing right in front of you.

Its mostly about the gore and how disgusting everything looks. They provide a good level of scare, especially once you're on your own, but overall, there's nothing that'll make you think twice about taking the next step, its a fast paced action game with creepy moments. :up:

I'm gonna give it a shot later... I downloaded it this morning but I'm charging the controller at the moment

It reminded me of a mix of The Darkness, Bioshock and Shadowrun with the supernatural abilities. Is that the new thing for FPSs?

The quick button press scene was quite jumpy (I'll leave you to see what happens in it), and there were some creepy dark areas where you flicked the flashlight on and an enemy was standing right in front of you.

Its mostly about the gore and how disgusting everything looks. They provide a good level of scare, especially once you're on your own, but overall, there's nothing that'll make you think twice about taking the next step, its a fast paced action game with creepy moments. :up:

Yes, it definitely had that fast paced action feel of the latter half of Resident Evil 4. Think of a action movie where the heroes are battling demons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"