Cobains Guitar Sold

Atrax robustus

Superhero
Reaction score
Cobain's guitar fetches $117,500
A guitar belonging to the late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain was auctioned for $117,500 (£65,000) on Saturday.
The guitar was said to have been one of his favourites, and was the first of his instruments to go on sale since his death 10 years ago.

It was expected to be sold for $100,000 by Heritage Galleries in Dallas, Texas.

The piano on which Sir Elton John wrote Your Song and Tiny Dancer fetched $164,500 (£91,500) and one of Sir Elton's jumpsuits sold for $26,337 (£14,650).

Unique

The sale in Dallas Market Hall contained more than 1,700 lots made up of instruments, photos, autographs, posters, toys and general music memorabilia.

Cobain purchased the guitar in San Francisco in 1990 and sold it in 1992.

The right-handed guitar was modified to be played by a left-handed person and is the only known example of a Mark IV-style Mosrite Gospel.

Also sold were a signed 1963 poster of The Beatles for $17,625 (£9,800) and Sir Elton's Hollywood Walk of Fame star award for $15,312 (£8,500).

_39982527_cobain.jpg

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3635523.stm

wow...

I can't believe that it was sold

they could have made a shrine out of it and people would have given money to see it

Cobain's guitars were cheap. The only reason it sold for that much is because of his name. Well, it does say there that the Mosrite was the only known model of it's kind. Maybe that had a little to do with that, but not much. And my post here is not a slight on Cobain. I'm a big Nirvana fan.

how much do you guys think Jimmy pages guitar would be ? Or hendrix?

i don't feel like clikin the link cuz I'm lazy. Got a pic of the guitar? I wanna see it :D

Liquid Snake said:
how much do you guys think Jimmy pages guitar would be ? Or hendrix?

Jimmy Page's guitar would probably fetch a lot, though Hendrix's would probably fetch more because he's become even more of a legend since his death.

KingOfDreams said:
Jimmy Page's guitar would probably fetch a lot, though Hendrix's would probably fetch more because he's become even more of a legend since his death.

Also Hendrix owns Page along with every other guitarist basically.

As for Cobains stuff, I would much rather own some of the props from the "Heart Shaped Box" video then his guitar. Maybe the Jesus Santa hat or one of the hanging uteruses.

I personally don't like Cobain's guitars myself either.

Atrax robustus said:
Cobain's guitar fetches $117,500
A guitar belonging to the late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain was auctioned for $117,500 (£65,000) on Saturday.
The guitar was said to have been one of his favourites, and was the first of his instruments to go on sale since his death 10 years ago.

It was expected to be sold for $100,000 by Heritage Galleries in Dallas, Texas.

The piano on which Sir Elton John wrote Your Song and Tiny Dancer fetched $164,500 (£91,500) and one of Sir Elton's jumpsuits sold for $26,337 (£14,650).

Unique

The sale in Dallas Market Hall contained more than 1,700 lots made up of instruments, photos, autographs, posters, toys and general music memorabilia.

Cobain purchased the guitar in San Francisco in 1990 and sold it in 1992.

The right-handed guitar was modified to be played by a left-handed person and is the only known example of a Mark IV-style Mosrite Gospel.

Also sold were a signed 1963 poster of The Beatles for $17,625 (£9,800) and Sir Elton's Hollywood Walk of Fame star award for $15,312 (£8,500).

_39982527_cobain.jpg

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3635523.stm

DID IT HAVE BRAIN MATTER AND BLOOD STAINS ON IT? :o

KingOfDreams said:
Cobain's guitars were cheap. The only reason it sold for that much is because of his name. Well, it does say there that the Mosrite was the only known model of it's kind. Maybe that had a little to do with that, but not much. And my post here is not a slight on Cobain. I'm a big Nirvana fan.

True. Most of his guitars were on the low end of garden variety. I think he fell in love with the sound of them when he was scraping buy and could only afford to buy the cheaper ones.

jag

Jag's right, Kurt loved the sound of cheap guitars
that was is signature sound

PLAS said:
Jag's right, Kurt loved the sound of cheap guitars
that was is signature sound

Yep. I think the action on the fretboards of them had an influence on his playing, as well.

jag

I'd love to have a guitar that belonged to Thurston Moore

i know a guy who owns 3 of john entwistle's (sp?) bass guitars! he also owns 2 tommy pinball machines, and few of the who's gold/platinum albums signed by the band!

Motown Marvel said:
i know a guy who owns 3 of john entwistle's (sp?) bass guitars! he also owns 2 tommy pinball machines, and few of the who's gold/platinum albums signed by the band!
is he a fan of The Who?

PLAS said:
I'd love to have a guitar that belonged to Thurston Moore

For me, it's Stevie Ray Vaughn. :up:

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985