Comedy Central/MTV announces 1st Annual Comedy Awards....

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
Surprisingly the nominees are pretty strong:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/com...medy-awards-announce-nominations/#more-106588

That's how you make a list of 5 comedy films, Golden Globes. Cyrus, Kick-Ass, Get Him to the Greek and Easy A? If they had replaced The Other Guys with Scott Pilgrim (which is nominated for directing) the list would be perfect.

I also love the love they're showering for cult TV shows like It's Always Sunny and Eastbound and Down. This might actually be watchable.

Yeah the nominees are actually really good.
My favorite comedy Psych didnt get nominated, but alot of people who actually deserve it actually got nominated

That's pretty cool. I have high hopes for the actual award show. I'm kind of surprised Conan didn't make it into the late night host line-up.

I will be watching this and I am sure most 18-35 year olds will be too.

It's about time. Here's my votes:

COMEDY SERIES: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

COMEDY ACTOR — TV: Ty Burrell, “Modern Family”

COMEDY ACTRESS — TV: Tina Fey, “30 Rock”

COMEDY ACTOR — FILM: Will Ferrell, “The Other Guys"

COMEDY ACTRESS — FILM: Chloë Moretz, “Kick-Ass”

LATE NIGHT COMEDY SERIES: “The Colbert Report”

SKETCH COMEDY/ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES: “Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!”

STAND-UP SPECIAL: “Louis C.K.: Hilarious”

COMEDY FILM: “The Other Guys”

ANIMATED COMEDY FILM: “Toy Story 3”

ANIMATED COMEDY SERIES: “Archer”

COMEDY WRITING — TV: “Louie”

COMEDY SCREENPLAY: “Kick-Ass”

COMEDY DIRECTING — TV: “Community”

COMEDY DIRECTOR — FILM: Adam McKay, “The Other Guys”

It's good to see Always Sunny get nominated for SOMETHING, finally.

Here is the full list (bold is who I think will win and underlined is who I want to win):

COMEDY SERIES
“30 Rock”
“Eastbound & Down”
“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”
“Modern Family”
“The Office”

COMEDY ACTOR — TV
Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”
Ty Burrell, “Modern Family”
Steve Carell, “The Office”
Tracy Morgan, “30 Rock”
Danny McBride, “Eastbound & Down”

COMEDY ACTRESS — TV
Tina Fey, “30 Rock”
Jane Krakowski, “30 Rock”
Jane Lynch, “Glee”
Betty White, “Hot in Cleveland”
Kristen Wiig, “Saturday Night Live”

COMEDY ACTOR — FILM
Russell Brand, “Get Him to the Greek”
Will Ferrell, “The Other Guys”
Zach Galifianakis, “Dinner for Schmucks”
Paul Giamatti, “Barney’s Version”
Jonah Hill, “Cyrus"

COMEDY ACTRESS — FILM
Tina Fey, “Date Night”
Anne Hathaway, “Love & Other Drugs”
Helen Mirren, “Red”
Chloë Moretz, “Kick-Ass”
Emma Stone, “Easy A”

LATE NIGHT COMEDY SERIES
“The Colbert Report”
“The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”
“Jimmy Kimmel Live!”
“Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”
“Late Show with David Letterman”

SKETCH COMEDY/ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES
“Childrens Hospital”
“Funny or Die Presents”
“Saturday Night Live”
“Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!”
“Tosh.0”

STAND-UP SPECIAL
“Aziz Ansari: Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening”
“Bill Maher…But I’m Not Wrong”
“Louis C.K.: Hilarious”
“Ricky Gervais: Out of England 2”
“Whitney Cummings: Money Shot”

COMEDY FILM
“Cyrus”
“Easy A”
“Get Him to the Greek”
“Kick-Ass”
“The Other Guys”

ANIMATED COMEDY FILM
“Despicable Me”
“Megamind”
“Shrek Forever After”
“Toy Story 3”

ANIMATED COMEDY SERIES
“American Dad!”
“Archer”
“Family Guy”
“The Simpsons”
“South Park”

COMEDY WRITING — TV
“30 Rock”
“Louie”
“Modern Family”
“The Office”
“The Simpsons”

COMEDY SCREENPLAY
“Cyrus”
“Easy A”
“Hot Tub Time Machine”
“Kick-Ass”
“Tiny Furniture”

COMEDY DIRECTING — TV
“30 Rock”
“Community”
“Modern Family”
“The Office”
“Saturday Night Live”

COMEDY DIRECTOR — FILM
Jay Duplass and Mark Duplass, “Cyrus”
Will Gluck, “Easy A”
Adam McKay, “The Other Guys”
Matthew Vaughn, “Kick-Ass”
Edgar Wright, “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”

....Yeah, I guess I have no idea who will win most of them due to this being the first time they've done this awards show. I just expect Easy A due to the crossover appeal to comedy fans and MTV's targeted teen hipness will lead it to sweep in the film categories.

I thought they did this last year...or was that something else?

Comedy Central already tried a comedy awards show several years ago, so this is just a rehash.

Lots and lots of love for Kick-Ass :awesome:

Spoilers for some of the winners:

NEW YORK (AP) — David Letterman, Tina Fey and Louis C.K. were among the laugh-getters honored Saturday night at the first annual Comedy Awards.

At the presentation held by Comedy Central, Alec Baldwin ("30 Rock") and Kristen Wiig ("Saturday Night Live") won as Best Comedy Actor and Actress in Television.

Tina Fey ("Date Night") and Zach Galifianakis ("Dinner for Schmucks") were awarded Best Comedy Actress and Actor in Film.

"Modern Family" received the award for Best Comedy Series, while "The Other Guys" was named Best Comedy Film.

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" won for Best Late-Night Comedy Series, "South Park" for Animated Comedy Series and "Toy Story 3" for Animated Comedy Film.

"Louis C.K.: Hilarious" won for Best Standup Special and "Childrens Hospital" received the award for Sketch Comedy-Alternative Comedy Series.

Daniel Tosh was chosen by fans to receive the Breakthrough Performer award. "Auto-Tune the News: Bed Intruder Song" was elected by fans as Best Viral Original.

Eddie Murphy was honored with the previously announced Comedy Icon Award, while David Letterman received the night's highest honor as the first recipient of the Johnny Carson Award for Comedic Excellence.

The Comedy Awards will air on April 10 on Comedy Central and other Viacom-owned networks including Nick at Nite, VH1 and TV Land.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/loui...how-big-winners-at-first-annual-comedy-awards

Spoilers for some of the winners:

NEW YORK (AP) — David Letterman, Tina Fey and Louis C.K. were among the laugh-getters honored Saturday night at the first annual Comedy Awards.

At the presentation held by Comedy Central, Alec Baldwin ("30 Rock") and Kristen Wiig ("Saturday Night Live") won as Best Comedy Actor and Actress in Television.

Tina Fey ("Date Night") and Zach Galifianakis ("Dinner for Schmucks") were awarded Best Comedy Actress and Actor in Film.

"Modern Family" received the award for Best Comedy Series, while "The Other Guys" was named Best Comedy Film.

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" won for Best Late-Night Comedy Series, "South Park" for Animated Comedy Series and "Toy Story 3" for Animated Comedy Film.

"Louis C.K.: Hilarious" won for Best Standup Special and "Childrens Hospital" received the award for Sketch Comedy-Alternative Comedy Series.

Daniel Tosh was chosen by fans to receive the Breakthrough Performer award. "Auto-Tune the News: Bed Intruder Song" was elected by fans as Best Viral Original.

Eddie Murphy was honored with the previously announced Comedy Icon Award, while David Letterman received the night's highest honor as the first recipient of the Johnny Carson Award for Comedic Excellence.

The Comedy Awards will air on April 10 on Comedy Central and other Viacom-owned networks including Nick at Nite, VH1 and TV Land.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/loui...how-big-winners-at-first-annual-comedy-awards
Yeah, I saw this last night, and was thinking of posting. I really didn't think about putting it in spoiler tags, though. Hehe....

Yeah, I saw this last night, and was thinking of posting. I really didn't think about putting it in spoiler tags, though. Hehe....

Some may not want to find out the winners until the actual day of taping.

Some may not want to find out the winners until the actual day of taping.
Yeah, that's the reason why I didn't post it. I'm actually kinda mad at myself for finding out without watching it.

My votes:

COMEDY SERIES

“Modern Family”

COMEDY ACTOR — TV

Danny McBride, “Eastbound & Down”

COMEDY ACTRESS — TV

Kristen Wiig, “Saturday Night Live”

COMEDY ACTOR — FILM

Russell Brand, “Get Him to the Greek”

COMEDY ACTRESS — FILM

Chloë Moretz, “Kick-Ass”

LATE NIGHT COMEDY SERIES

“The Colbert Report”

SKETCH COMEDY/ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES

“Tosh.0”

STAND-UP SPECIAL

“Louis C.K.: Hilarious”

COMEDY FILM

“Get Him to the Greek”

ANIMATED COMEDY FILM

“Megamind”

ANIMATED COMEDY SERIES

“Archer”

COMEDY WRITING — TV

“Modern Family”

COMEDY SCREENPLAY

“Hot Tub Time Machine”

COMEDY DIRECTING — TV

“Community”

COMEDY DIRECTOR — FILM

Adam McKay, “The Other Guys”

So these were on last night. I tried to watch some of it, but it was pretty awkward and stilted. The problem with a comedy awards show is that it is a room full of comedians who are all jaded and refuse to do anything but mock the award and each other. So I fastforwarded it on my DVR. Three quick thoughts:

1) The winners were mostly bad choices that seemed to be about the biggest name. Like The Other Guys beat Get Him to the Greek, Kick-Ass Cyrus and Easy A for Best Comedy Film? Please. Same goes for Tina Fey winning for the unfunny Date Night over Emma Stone and Chloe Moretz. It seemed mostly based on who was the biggest name and would show up. That's why Alec Baldwin won Best TV Actor before he coincidentally presents the next presenter, Tracy Morgan...ugh.

2) One deserving winner was Jon Stewart for Best Late Night. It made the night and made me stop to watch the speech, because Stephen Colbert hijacked the microphone and cursed The Daily Show team off the air before accepting the award on behalf of everyone who had had their soul crushed by Jon Stewart from Bill Maher to Jack Parr.

3) They had two nice tributes to Eddie Murphy and Letterman. The latter of whom was introduced by Bill Murray.

Otherwise, it was a pretty odd show from what I could tell.

2) One deserving winner was Jon Stewart for Best Late Night. It made the night and made me stop to watch the speech, because Stephen Colbert hijacked the microphone and cursed The Daily Show team off the air before accepting the award on behalf of everyone who had had their soul crushed by Jon Stewart from Bill Maher to Jack Parr.
I'm not a huge fan of Colbert, but that was hilarious.

3) They had two nice tributes to Eddie Murphy and Letterman. The latter of whom was introduced by Bill Murray.

Otherwise, it was a pretty odd show from what I could tell.
I also thought the Carson tribute was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"