Comics newbie looking for some input

Daniee

Civilian
Reaction score
For the longest time, I've been familiar with the Marvel universe and it's characters, but I've never actually read many of the comics.

Lately, I've been a lot more interested (you can thank Civil War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and all the recent Marvel films for that) and figured I'd finally start reading and collecting the comics, and after browsing Marvel's site, it seems like it would be a good time. Since Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and Iron Man (3 of my favorites) have recently gotten reboots.

Cable/Deadpool I'm getting for sure (I've actually read some of it and have enjoyed it), but the new GR and Iron Man I haven't and I've seen mixed reviews of them, especially Road to Damnation. Like I said, I haven't read much of their old comics, I'm just familiar with them. What's your opinion on them and will I enjoy them if I'm just now hopping on board? Comics are pretty expensive, and I need to know if my bucks will be well-spent.

I'm open for other suggestions. Moon Knight is another character that just got a relaunch and I'm pretty interested in. Is it any good?

For the longest time, I've been familiar with the Marvel universe and it's characters, but I've never actually read many of the comics.

Lately, I've been a lot more interested (you can thank Civil War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and all the recent Marvel films for that) and figured I'd finally start reading and collecting the comics, and after browsing Marvel's site, it seems like it would be a good time. Since Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and Iron Man (3 of my favorites) have recently gotten reboots.

Cable/Deadpool I'm getting for sure (I've actually read some of it and have enjoyed it), but the new GR and Iron Man I haven't and I've seen mixed reviews of them, especially Road to Damnation. Like I said, I haven't read much of their old comics, I'm just familiar with them. What's your opinion on them and will I enjoy them if I'm just now hopping on board? Comics are pretty expensive, and I need to know if my bucks will be well-spent.

I'm open for other suggestions. Moon Knight is another character that just got a relaunch and I'm pretty interested in. Is it any good?

I used to be the same way.

My little suggestion, I think you should read the new Immortal Iron Fist.

Bendis' run on Daredevil is a great read. Planet Hulk is always entertaining, plus ostensibly it is going to spill into the next major Marvel event World War Hulk. Ultimate Spider-Man is always great. The best stuff I've read in the past five years is probably Mark Waid's run on Fantastic Four and Mark Millar's Ultimates volumes 1&2. Oh yeah, and check out Runaways. Think Goonies crossed with the New Mutants.

For some other recommendations, read through the Official Recommendations forum at http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186190

Bendis' run on Daredevil is a great read. Planet Hulk is always entertaining, plus ostensibly it is going to spill into the next major Marvel event World War Hulk. Ultimate Spider-Man is always great. The best stuff I've read in the past five years is probably Mark Waid's run on Fantastic Four and Mark Millar's Ultimates volumes 1&2. Oh yeah, and check out Runaways. Think Goonies crossed with the New Mutants.

For some other recommendations, read through the Official Recommendations forum at http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186190

Seconded.

Read Runaways, you'll thank me later.

Iron Man's been pretty good lately. Great art by Zircher, good story. I'd recommend it. GR, well, recently they switched artists on the book. At first we had incredible art work from Mark Texiera. Good stuff. They got some new guy who, well, i'm not gonna say he's a bad artist, it's just that his stuff doesn't really fit with the story. And it's kinda hard when you go from beautiful artwork, to some Zap comics or some other underground lookin' stuff. My suggestion, when you go to buy this stuff, open it up and check it out. See how it reads, decide for yourself.

I'd also like to second that Iron Fist suggestion. And Moon Knight's pretty damn good as well.

the new GR is really good...I love the new artist, he's the same guy who did Punisher: The End and I dig his style

I thought I seen his stuff somewhere before. Yeah, i'm not digging it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"