Construction crew unearths fabled Atari burial site

glowing-finger-punch.jpg

"YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME SLEEP."

The irony is, even if people went out there, got a bunch, and put them on eBay, after a few people bought them as novelties, they would go back to being worthless.

Even brand new, sealed, the game is only worth a 100 bucks on eBay. Compare that to the original Super Mario Brothers (which sold twenty times as much), that's going for thousands of dollars.

I'm stunned that anyone would pay that much for a literal piece of garbage. No matter how much novelty sense it gives, it's still a horrid thing.

I don't understand collectors who buy crap just because it's "rare." The kitschy irony of owning one will surely wear off after a week or two.

Or maybe they think in an era of hyper-realistic, immersive games, a videogame that was crappy three decades ago during the primitive 4-bit era will suddenly be …. fun to play now?

If it was as wretched as they say it was back then, I'd wager that it still is. I can't see that owning a copy of it would be particularly impressive to anyone.

If I had money to burn, I'd buy it. It's a piece of history. I would own both the worst game ever made, and the best game ever made.

Ocarina of Time for me. Though SMB3, would definitely be in the top ten. Though blasphemous as it sounds, I actually prefer Super Mario World, which was apparently Miyamoto's favorite as well.

I have about five copies of Ocarina of Time. Two N64 versions (one is unopened), the Gamecube release with Master Quest, the Gamecube collection edition, and then the 3DS enhanced port.

Last edited:
I too own multiple editions of some games. I have Mario 3 on NES and Gameboy Advance, Chrono Trigger on SNES, Playstation and DS, and the original Sonic games on Genesis and the Mega Collection on PS2.

It's amazing how many people used to dump on N64 compared to the original Playstation. But think how few people still play old PS1 games, while a LOT of N64 games still hold up.

I think Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Star Fox 64 are timeless.

Last edited:
I never had an N64, and have played very little of it even when a friend had one. So can't comment on the library for it.

It's small, but its classics are still very playable. You go to any college dorm in the states, and someone is still bound to have a N64 sitting around.

I know PS1 has classics too, like FF7 and RE2, but how many people still play those?

FF7 is a game that to this day, I still haven't played all the way through.

I still have my N-64 although I think it's graphics got fried back in the 90's. I never got around to finding out what was needed to fix it.

I still have my N-64 although I think it's graphics got fried back in the 90's. I never got around to finding out what was needed to fix it.

I have mine too and it works. Maybe i should dig it out of storage and play some Goldeneye 64...:007

They need to toss the ps vitas in there and cover it back up

I don't understand collectors who buy crap just because it's "rare." The kitschy irony of owning one will surely wear off after a week or two.

Or maybe they think in an era of hyper-realistic, immersive games, a videogame that was crappy three decades ago during the primitive 4-bit era will suddenly be …. fun to play now?

I watched an ET Atari playthrough video on Youtube and my eyelids started t droop after less than five minutes. That game is worth maybe a penny.

My mom told me she had an Atari and the only game she had for it was E.T. This explains everything.

I too own multiple editions of some games. I have Mario 3 on NES and Gameboy Advance, Chrono Trigger on SNES, Playstation and DS, and the original Sonic games on Genesis and the Mega Collection on PS2.

You played All Stars for the SNES though, right?

It's amazing how many people used to dump on N64 compared to the original Playstation. But think how few people still play old PS1 games, while a LOT of N64 games still hold up.

I think Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Star Fox 64 are timeless.

While that's true, I do think the N64 was a terrible mistake. If Nintendo had just gotten over their ridiculous fear of piracy, and gone with discs, we would probably still have those classic games (just with better graphics and sound), and some third party exclusives from the companies that jumped ship because of their refusal to use discs.

Instead, they lost two generation wars to Sony.

But who knows, maybe if they did have a much better disc-based system, Nintendo wouldn't have worked so hard on those games, and istead we'd end up with good looking but forgettable Mario and Zelda titles.

The game is crappy but not because it is old.

No, it was terrible back then too. I got it for Christmas. I was 8, my sister was 6...ET had just come out that year (which we'd seen 3 times and were completely in love with it like every other little kid that year) and I'm pretty sure we'd just gotten the Atari as well, so the ET game was just a no-brainer.

But omg...it was so awful. It was basically this blocky ET falling into wells finding pieces of this communicator, then you had to figure out which tree on the forest screen was the one the spaceship would pick him up at.

Occasionally an FBI agent would randomly chase him, sometimes an Elliot who looked like Ernie from Sesame Street would randomly show up. All of their footsteps sounded like someone rapping their knuckles on a table (our mom made us play it with the sound off, she couldn't stand it).

It was just boring. It would play the ET theme music when you finished it, and sometimes a note would get stuck and just play on like the game had flatlined.

I still have an ET doll that I got for that same Christmas. The game went with the Atari when that finally broke down and we tossed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"