COSMOS

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
I have been commissioned to write a review for this film, Cosmos and placing on here for further coverage, the film-maker’s aims are to gain traction and exposure to further streaming options and access for the completed project.

Written, filmed and produced by a set of two brothers, the Weaver Brothers, with a very small crew and cast on a zero-budget, it’s a triumph of a film and I will post my review on here once it has been greenlit by the film makers but meanwhile here are the ‘making of’ documentary and imdb details….

Cosmos (2019) - IMDb

Making of -

Trailer -

My review.....

COSMOS

Writers / Directors: Elliot & Zander Weaver

Producers: Elliot & Zander Weaver

Actors: Tom England, Joshua Ford, Arjun Singh Panam, Ben Vardy

Review by Jim Rogers. February 2020.

First Contact. A mystery bound within a puzzle, entrenched within a sense of wonder. The Weaver brothers bring us a zero-budget, but highly accomplished feature film debut. Their background stems from documentary film-making and this ‘grounded’ format of creative thinking helps provide the stability of this tale, the very human experience of exploring the universe and three amateur Astronomers, with hope in their vision, one night fall upon a mystery discovery from their star gazing, and utilising their own kit, will unravel a find, that dates back through time itself and changes how we see the universe, here from earth, to enable mankind, to finally be able answer that age old question, are we alone in the universe?

The film, two hours in length, allows itself and thus the audience, time to ‘bed in’ and get to know these men, we are given the opportunity to live with the characters, Harry, (project lead) Roy (ex-colleague, is holding a grudge) & Mike (drafted in by Harry, the outsider) establish how they tick, not only within themselves but together, this team, each with their own ways of working, each with a past that threatens the project’s overall stakes.

The first hour, places a microscope over the WHY of the story and builds the tension constructively and with passion & knowledge for its subject and the second half begins to connect the HOW for us, as the audience, but never shows us or tells us an expectation, the film allows the viewer to ‘live’ the moment in ‘real time’, an able skill, which the brothers maintain throughout.

There are genre nods throughout, it has a Spielbergian quality to its narrative & delivery, setting and lighting rigs, in particular, Close Encounters of the Third Kind & E.T. and very much Jaws in the dynamic and build of the three men’s relationship. The writing of the subject is deep and well researched, there is a template of other films, which to its credit, is able to draw from, but remains original in its own context and right. The camera movement is incredibly executed, the cinematography flows and follows to tell the story with clarity and the actors portray their characters with all the emotion and composure that the story demands of them. Essentially, we have a ‘ticking clock’ drama to a race to discovery of what the team find of their monitoring equipment (the WHY) and the ensuing race to meet their destiny (the HOW) leads through an emotional journey of personal discovery and alien contact.

Like all great sci-fi, the film places a microscope upon the human condition, the theme is first contact, but it’s led by a story of how three men (with some help) put aside their personal angst and combine their common goals and their wish to pursue their first love…space, the universe and answering the questions that emerge in the film.

The characterisation is told beautifully through the shots selected, yes, but through the dialogue that contains sharp, punctuated on-the-button humour throughout, a knowledge of the genre and like with all brilliant film-making, knowing your character’s motivations and deep-rooted personalities, which shine through every frame.

The slow build, to the discovery, found in the last third of the story, allows for the human spirit & condition to be examined, and because of this, the film’s narrative throughout, benefits our understanding of these men as individuals’ and their purpose, which they will go to the ends to see out and succeed in, to discover what this Cosmos is and how it fits into the universe at large.

Given the zero-budget and small cast & crew, this film is a masterpiece in making the most of what you have, being ambitious in your end aims, whilst being creative to cover the shortfall in what you ‘don’t have’. Brilliantly assembled, produced and directed, the performances of the key cast provide us with a story that holds our interest, emotionally and contextually, we believe in these men’s quest and are with them at the end of the film, because of that first hour, in which, we were given time to find out about them and who they were and where we would be taken at the conclusion, as the audience.

Chris Davey’s score too, must be given a mention & credit, it underpins the emotion and drives the action forward, without ever, taking hold or taking over and suffocating the film, like all scores, they are a character unto themselves.

The pacing of the film is woven like a dream through under-current narrative, the visual story telling is superbly crafted, and the cutting of the edit is exemplary, letting scenes breathe where they need to and faster cuts in moments where the action requires.

All involved should be exceptionally proud of their efforts in all disciplines, this is a film of the highest magnitude, given its resources and deserves to be seen by as larger an audience as possible. The production values on this film, for its zero-budget production are outstanding, if this is what they can achieve with no budget, then with financial backing, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Highly recommended and a film made with love, passion, knowledge for one’s subject – by a cast & crew who clearly care, that is infectious and as a result, it makes whoever sees this film, care too, a rare ability, these boys have a great future ahead of themselves.

Last edited:
Looks like a really interesting project

It’s a wonderful film to be involved with yes, a brilliant achievement from all concerned, with huge value and story arc attached and now helping cast & crew step up the promotion and traction for the film. Very proud to be involved.

A fantastically written review mate. Balanced, insightful, informative, supportive and considerate. You share just enough about the film to make us want to go see it yet not to spoil anything so we can watch the film and discover its richness, storytelling and wonder for ourselves.

In an age when division, bitterness and hatred have ran amok and become normalised. A story about people working together to discover the wonderful and beautiful truth that there is something so much bigger than us in this universe. In which all the pettiness and tribalism in our world today is make to look foolish given that such a revelation that we're not alone (and it will come one day) would suddenly make us see what's been standing there in front of us from the beginning. That we're truly are one big human family.

Your writing captured that aspect for me perfectly and whilst I've always known you to be a great writer. Whenever I read your words, I'm always struck by how you see the best in others, the love you have for film and the unwavering.humanity that's exudes from your writing.

A fantastically written review mate. Balanced, insightful, informative, supportive and considerate. You share just enough about the film to make us want to go see it yet not to spoil anything so we can watch the film and discover its richness, storytelling and wonder for ourselves.

In an age when division, bitterness and hatred have ran amok and become normalised. A story about people working together to discover the wonderful and beautiful truth that there is something so much bigger than us in this universe. In which all the pettiness and tribalism in our world today is make to look foolish given that such a revelation that we're not alone (and it will come one day) would suddenly make us see what's been standing there in front of us from the beginning. That we're truly are one big human family.

Your writing captured that aspect for me perfectly and whilst I've always known you to be a great writer. Whenever I read your words, I'm always struck by how you see the best in others, the love you have for film and the unwavering.humanity that's exudes from your writing.

Thanks so much for the feedback and kind words sir, have shared on Facebook too as agreed.

Deal signed with Hulu for distribution and access rights for film to be screened in the US. :-):woo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"