Could a "Scream" prequel work?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Kar, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Kar Registered

A film detailing Mrs. Prescott being stalked by Stu and Billy after being contacted by Sidneys half brother. It could have flashbacks to her acting career and then show her affair with Cotton. Stu, Billy and Her brother (his name was Roman, right?) Could be sitting around trying to invent the Ghostface costume and his MO all while committing lowkey murders around town that aren't exactly linked together (as training perhaps) before they kill Sidney's mom.

I think it'd be cool, but then again I just love prequels.

2. Nightmare "Kill Them All"

Hmmm, possibly.

3. Drizzle You'll get your rent when Ditkovich is in the MCU!

Horror prequels have a bad track record as it is (Hannibal Rising, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning), but if nobody gave a **** about Scream 4, then they definitely wouldn't give a **** about this.

4. The Shape In the shadows

No, because the Scream films hinge on a "mystery" and with this, there would be no mystery. Plus, there would be very little room for comedy with such a creepy storyline, and there would have to be all new actors playing the leads despite the "prequel" taking place only a year before Scream. It'd be pretty lame, IMO.

5. The Shape In the shadows

I gave a **** about Scream 4! :o

6. Majik1387 Registered

No, a prequel wouldn't work.

7. scifiwolf Registered

Possibly, but the franchise needs to go away. The style and formula it satirized doesn't seem relevant anymore, and the current one is tired, IMO.

8. DACrowe Registered

Scream is so rooted in the 1990s, it'd have to be set in the '90s which seem ancient to teens (i.e. target demographic for horror movies) today. Also, Scream has always been a bit of a slasher version of "Ten Little Indians," but there's no mystery of who killed Sidney's mother. Also, Sidney's mother is the only victim at that point. And then there's the fact that they'd have to recast everyone who are in their late 30s now (or pushing 50 in in Cox's case).

I don't think it will work. Besides, they are now turning it into a TV series for MTV now. Not that this has to be celebrated news.

9. TX85 Registered

Scream will be a TV show?,Anyway..I like this prequel idea But for a book and not a movie

10. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

No. Scream is engaging because of the mystery. Knowing we are watching the killers and knowing what has already happened is just uneccessary. It pretty much betrays the idea of this series in the first place.

11. Piper Maru Guest

No more Scream please.

12. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

No. Just move on with Scream 5 :D. I enjoyed Scream 4!

13. Wolfwood Shasta McNasty

That sounds like a good idea for a fan film, but not a full blown production.

14. Octoberist point blank

Sounds a bit pointless.