Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=42157

Release Date: May, 2008
Studio: Roadside Attractions
Director: Tarsem Singh
Screenwriter: Tarsem Singh, Dan Gilroy
Starring: Lee Pace, Catinca Untaru, Justine Waddell, Julian Bleach
Genre: Drama, Fantasy
MPAA Rating: R (for some violent images)

Plot Summary: In a hospital a little girl with a broken collar bone meets a bedridden man who starts telling her a fantastical story which reflects his state of mind. As time goes by fiction and reality start to intertwine in this uplifting epic fantasy.

TRAILER

http://uk.media.movies.ign.com/media/730/730512/vids_1.html

God, that is beautiful. I've always found The Cell to be grossly underrated, and I'm definitely looking forward to this.

people only hate the cell because of jlo.....

i think thats actually her best role.... and her best movie...

like a sci-fi Silence of the lambs

http://www.canmag.com/nw/10691-the-fall-theatrical-release

thefall6.jpg

thefall4.jpg

thefall3.jpg

thefall2.jpg

Man, those are great stills. This is gonna be visually amazing. :yay:

Just got to seeing this today. Not like anything I've ever seen before, I could almost compare it to the Wizard of Oz. That was the feel I got more towards the end. Great story and the I knew it was going to be visually amazing, so many fantastic shooting locations.

I hope more people get a chance to see this now that it's out on dvd.
One of my favorite films of the year by far, its visually amazing and the little girl has to be one of the most adorable child actors ever.

Just got to seeing this today. Not like anything I've ever seen before, I could almost compare it to the Wizard of Oz. That was the feel I got more towards the end. Great story and the I knew it was going to be visually amazing, so many fantastic shooting locations.
I rented this movie two days ago but finally got to watch it yesterday. And watched it I did... 3 times in a day! I couldn't get enough of it! It's visually stunning and I think it's story-telling at its best.

The relationship between Roy and Alexandria is very moving and touching and their chemistry... unbelievable! The scene at the hospital after Alexandria's second fall due her desire to save Roy moved me the most. As Roy continued to weave his story, a tale weaved by a man with a tortured soul and a broken heart, killing each character one at a time ("Why are you making everybody die?" "Because... everything dies..."), Alexandria's plea to let the Bandit live broke my heart... and Roy's, too.

Another one of my favorite scenes is when Alexandria stole a Eucharist and shared it with Roy, he asked; "Are you trying to save my soul?" And she repeatedly said, "What? What? What?" Apparently she doesn't know what 'soul' means just as she doesn't know what 'suicide' means.

The Fall is now listed among my Favorite Movie of All-time.

Cantica Untaru should be getting awards and accolades for her performance. She's a revelation! She's so natural that I can't tell if she's acting or just being herself. I love that girl!

Last edited:
i found her annoying lol i preferred movie stayed in the story and not kept jumping back and forth

i found her annoying lol i preferred movie stayed in the story and not kept jumping back and forth
There's a reason for the 'jumping back and forth'. He lures an innocent child with fantastic tales so that she can help him 'attain' his 'goal', which is to end his life but ironically, instead of helping him do that, her innocence and her love helped save him.

Why would you prefer the movie to stay in the story and how would it end?

i loved everything about this movie. :up: i'll admit... i may have blinked back a couple tears a few times there. <_<

I saw this tonight and found it to be one of those lost gem movies, clearly creatively off the beaten track and all the more interesting for it.

Visually it is a beautiful and grand movie, but it is the very simple human connection between Roy and Alexandra that keeps you hooked while the bigger picture unfolds.The acting of both Pace and young Catinca Untaru is superb and very natural.

It's central theme is very relatable but the imaginative way the drama is told is what makes the movie great, for some I imagine the fantasy shifts will be distracting but I found them entertaining and by the end they merge with reality in a very powerful way, In a brilliant scene between Alexandra and Roy that I found moving and hard to watch.

8/10

Is it out over here, Hunter? Just done a search and couldn't find it. :(

Thanks mate. I'll keep a look out for it - no sign of it in HMV as of yet.

No problem. :up: I don't bother much with HMV these days, they are more expensive than Play or Amazon and often don't carry stuff that is more obscure like this movie.

I didn't know there was a thread for this, but I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

No problem. :up: I don't bother much with HMV these days, they are more expensive than Play or Amazon and often don't carry stuff that is more obscure like this movie.

I just prefer shopping in person. I'm quite net savvy, but I like to hold it in my hands and then hand my money to a greasy student. But that's just me :D

So I know I'm bumping up an old thread nearly, what, 7 years after the fact, but I finally got around to watching this after falling in love with Lee Pace as Thranduil in Hobbit: Battle of the Five armies (see my avatar :oldrazz:) and reading that it was his performance in The Fall that made Peter Jackson want Lee Pace in that part. Watched it online first (I'm a tad cautious when it comes to R rated films) and then, with it being (IMO) a pretty tame R (I'm actually pretty surprised it's R, but I imagine it's mainly 1 or 2 of the deaths at the end that pushed it just barely over the edge) I went ahead and bought the DVD.

I absolutely can't get enough of this movie. Both Lee and Catinca are absolutely wonderful and it's been interesting to listen to the commentaries and learn about how Tarsem kind of let things flow with Catinca's limited English, using mistakes she made and writing them into the story (her mistaking the way Lee wrote the letter "E" for the number "3", the old man's teeth being a bit more important after realizing Catinca was missing her two front teeth) and filming the hospital scenes in sequence (and poor Lee having to lie to everyone/have them think he was an actor that really couldn't walk). That Roy's blow up as it is in the film at his [BLACKOUT]failed suicide[/BLACKOUT] was the product of Lee getting frustrated at 17 previous takes of being stopped right before the blow up and that after the last take where Tarsem finally let him do it Catinca wouldn't go near Lee for a while after that because that really scared/freaked her out (and Tarsem didn't know that her freak out OR Lee's freak out would be that big). The subtle things that Lee would do with Catinca (i.e. shift his head ever so slightly to make sure that she had the light because she wasn't really aware of those things). The stunning locations in the story sequences are breathtaking as are the elaborate costumes.

It's a beautiful and moving film and, as Hunter indicated, I think it's definitely a lost gem. It's a shame it didn't get better critical reception.

I'm happy to have added this to my library :yay:

I'm also bumping this just to say... this movie is one of my all time favorites. It should have a cult following by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"