Derek Cianfrance Adapting The Light Between Oceans

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Derek Cianfrance(Blue Valentine,The Place Behind The Pines) to Direct The Light Between Oceans
13158800.jpg

DreamWorks Studios has tapped Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond the Pines) to helm its post-WWI set lit adaptation The Light Between Oceans. Author M.L. Stedman’s debut novel and international bestseller is about a lighthouse keeper and his wife who find a boat washed ashore on their remote Australian island with a dead man and a baby girl inside. They choose to bury the body and raise the child as their own, with devastating consequences. Harry Potter vet David Heyman will produce for Heyday Films with Jeffrey Clifford. Rosie Allen shepherded the project to Heyday and will exec produce. Said DreamWorks head Stacey Snider: “We certainly believe [Cianfrance] can make a modern epic from M.L.’s poignant novel and will be able to capture the great epic sweep and emotional honestly of this story.” Cianfrance is repped by CAA and Electric City Entertainment.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/derek-cianfrance-direct-dreamworks-the-light-between-oceans/

Synopsis

Tom Sherbourne is a lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, a tiny island a half day’s boat journey from the coast of Western Australia. When a baby washes up in a rowboat, he and his young wife Isabel decide to raise the child as their own. The baby seems like a gift from God, and the couple’s reasoning for keeping her seduces the reader into entering the waters of treacherous morality even as Tom--whose moral code withstood the horrors of World War I--begins to waver. M. L. Stedman’s vivid characters and gorgeous descriptions of the solitude of Janus Rock and of the unpredictable Australian frontier create a perfect backdrop for the tale of longing, loss, and the overwhelming love for a child that is The Light Between Oceans.

I'm a MASSIVE fan of Cianfrance. I'm going to go buy the book right now, literally...

Sounds good! :up:

This is pretty crazy news. Cianfrance is pretty fantastic. Along with his films being great, he is very articulate about what he was trying to do and more often than not his intents shine through.

Well, the title certainly made me think this was somehow related to A Place Beyond the Pines.

Yes yes yes. F*** yes. Yessssss. Yes.

Fassbender + Cianfrance is going to be amazing. Curious who they get to play Isabel. There's going to be some very powerful dramatic scenes in this movie, and I think David will be able to pull them off brilliantly.

Since this thread was last posted in, they've finished filming & are in post-production, Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina) was cast as Isabel, Rachel Weisz & Caren Pistorious (Slow West) are also in it.

Should be released late this year/early next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2547584/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7

Last edited:
Well, I love the cast and the story definitely sounds intriguing.

OFFICIAL TRAILER

[YT]watch?v=lk7yw00a4fs[/YT]

Last edited:
It looks remarkable and heartbreaking. :up:

Cianfrance is back with some feels :) Everyone looks amazing in this.

Looks great. Loved the music especially.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"