Legends Disney Moving Ahead with Star Wars Land in Florida

Erzengel

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Reaction score
Nice.

Robert Niles of Theme Insider is reporting that the long-rumored Star Wars park at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida is now past the "serious consideration" stage and into the planning phase:
Multiple sources have told me the long-awaited dream of theme park geeks everywhere is actually happening. Disney's moving ahead with both Cars Land and Star Wars Land at the Disney's Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World
Rumors of such an addition to the Disney World site in Florida have been swirling for years, and they intensified to a fever pitch when The Walt Disney Companyhttp://www.theforce.net/# bought Lucasfilm last October. But now it seems like I's are being dotted and T's are being crossed.

I spoke to a Disney Cast Member who not only confirmed Niles' report, but added some new information. This Cast Member heard directly from Disney supervisors that Disney is discussing building a Cantina-themed restaurant in the new Hollywood Studios Star Wars area. Last April, the blog Disney and More reported that a restaurant modeled after Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley was being considered for Disneyland Paris. It makes sense to bring a major renovation like a Cantina restaurant to multiple locations, in the same way that Star Tours: The Adventures Continue opened at several Disney Parks around the world in 2011.

Speaking of Star Tours, it seems like that attraction will be receiving upgrades as part of the Star Wars land. "Expect to see new levels added to Star Tours and some more interactive attractions, possibly an additional ride," my Disney source said. However, my source added that "most of the expansion will be environments and character meet-and-greet areas."

Given the amount of work involved in this project, it's no surprise that Disney plans to bolster their higher-profile additions (the Cantina restaurant) and modifications (the new Star Tours content) with simple, easy-to-add features like new meet-and-greet opportunities and additional "environments" (e.g. the life-size speeder bike with Endor backdrop).
I love Hollywood Studios. Star Tours, Toy Story, Tower of Terror and Aerosmith Ride.

Last edited:
Awesome.

Really, Star Wars could warrant it's own entire theme park.

Any confirmation for what's getting replaced? Or just speculation? I suppose they could get rid of the second entrance for vehicles and use that for the park, too.

'Star Wars' Expansion Coming To Disney Theme Parks

Huffington Post said:
"Star Wars" fans have more than just a new movie to look forward to next year. Disney says it will announce major plans for more "Star Wars" in the company's theme parks.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said during an earnings call on Tuesday that the company is "developing designs for a far greater 'Star Wars' presence in the parks," according to multiple reports.

“When we grow ‘Star Wars'' presence, which we will do significantly, you will see better bets being made that will pay off for us than were made in the past,” Iger said, according to Variety.

Details of the expansion will not be revealed until next year.

Jay Rasulo, Disney's finance chief and senior executive vice president, said attractions based on major franchises draw guests.

"They pull people from, 'Gee, I'm gonna go someday' to 'I'm gonna go this year,'" Rasulo said, according to the Los Angeles Times.

"Star Wars" already has a significant presence in Disney parks around the world. The "Star Tours" simulator ride is in Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida, Disneyland in California, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. The Florida and California parks also have an interactive show called "Jedi Training Academy."

In addition, Disney's Hollywood Studios plays host to "Star Wars Weekends," an annual event featuring shows, parades and a massive store called "Darth's Mall."

Rumors of a major "Star Wars" expansion or even the creation of a "Star Wars Land" in one or more Disney parks have been a mainstay of the fan community for years, intensifying in 2012 when the company acquired Lucasfilm and announced new movies in the franchise.

Last year, Disney teased a "Star Wars" presence in its parks at the company's D23 expo with crates marked "Orange Harvest" and partially visible blueprints.

In other "Star Wars" news, Iger said Tuesday that "Episode VII" is on schedule for release on Dec. 18, 2015, but didn't discuss the injury to Harrison Ford that reportedly delayed filming.

"The footage we’ve seen so far is spectacular and certainly worthy of the fan frenzy and excitement this movie is generating around the world," Iger said, according to Entertainment Weekly.

SWL414029small.jpg

Today at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced to an audience of more than 7,500 fans that Star Wars-themed lands will be coming to Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla., allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away.

SWL203101.jpg

Ambitious plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres each, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.

SWL180055.jpg

“I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”

SWL300118.jpg

These authentic lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.

The Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" set, Earffel Tower and Studio Catering Co. restaurant will be replaced by the "Star Wars" and "Toy Story" lands, Disney said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"