Do not scan and post complete articles from magazines

C. Lee

Superherohype Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A notice to everyone.....

Scanning of entire articles will not be allowed. Mirko (the owner of SHH) has received legal notices that this is copyright infringement. You can post parts of articles or links to them.....but if you scan an entire article and post it, we will have to delete it.

If someone types fast and has 10 minutes to kill, may we transcribe the entire content of the article and just post it here as a typical post with no imagery?

If someone types fast and has 10 minutes to kill, may we transcribe the entire content of the article and just post it here as a typical post with no imagery?

For now, I will say that is OK to do. If I find out different later, the post will be removed, but no other actions taken against the poster.

If you are commenting on or critiquing an article, novel, short story, etc., “fair use” guidelines allow you to quote sections of the work. But in these situations, the amount of original content (e.g., your critique) should be greater than the quoted material. If it’s not (especially if you’re using a few token comments as an excuse to quote the entire work) then you’re probably on thin ice, copyright-wise.

On blogs and such, it seems permissible to quote the first few paragraphs of an article - provided that you then post a link to the remainder (the majority). This acknowledges the author and the copyright. If you can’t provide a link (because the article/work isn’t online) and scan or retype the entire article, I’d guess this would be a copyright violation.

I’m not a lawyer, so take the above with a grain of salt. But I believe it’s generally accurate.

If you are commenting on or critiquing an article, novel, short story, etc., “fair use” guidelines allow you to quote sections of the work. But in these situations, the amount of original content (e.g., your critique) should be greater than the quoted material. If it’s not (especially if you’re using a few token comments as an excuse to quote the entire work) then you’re probably on thin ice, copyright-wise.

On blogs and such, it seems permissible to quote the first few paragraphs of an article - provided that you then post a link to the remainder (the majority). This acknowledges the author and the copyright. If you can’t provide a link (because the article/work isn’t online) and scan or retype the entire article, I’d guess this would be a copyright violation.

I’m not a lawyer, so take the above with a grain of salt. But I believe it’s generally accurate.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"