Don't Ever Adapt Comic Stories To Big Screen

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by the last son, Feb 16, 2013.

1. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Basically what the title says. Themes and origins are fine but never the actual stories. I saw people suggesting death in the family movie. No thank you. Why would I want to see something where I know what happens on film? Books should take very little bits and pieces from source material just to get a running start and be entirely original from there. So far comic movies have done a good job of doing just that except for marvel who in their origin movies take little to zero fresh ideas. Keep it up.

2. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

so you are against graphic novel adaptions?

3. James

James Built from Lego

I don't know. If it's going to make for a good movie, I don't see the harm. Reasoning that a few comic book readers already know what's going to happen is silly, far more people know what's going happen in almost any film based off a novel. The vast majority of movie goers are going to have no idea, and that's ultimately who the films are trying to appeal to.

4. Squaremaster316

Squaremaster316 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I hope it does get made, frame by frame like Sin City, just so anyone who makes the stupid "it must be precisely like the comics or it sucks" statements can eat crow.

5. Figs

Figs Well-Known Member

Picture not showing up.

As for the OP's question.

When it comes to a comic character's origin, I want them to follow the comics incredibly close. Especially if it's the characters first ever live action film. After that, I don't mind if they grab ideas from an arrange of stories for the sequels.

6. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Taking inspiration from certain stories is the best way, like BB with Year One, TDK with The Long Halloween, TDKR with The Dark Knight Returns.