Doomed Planet: The Krypton Thread

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
For awhile I had been of the opinion that we should just sort of breeze past the Krypton backstory in the same way that The Batman didn’t dwell on the Wayne murders, but with the synopsis addressing Clark’s Kryptonian heritage, it might be safe to assume there is some role for Krypton/Jor-El/Lara/etc. And even if not here, then definitely in Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow.

So what kind of vibe are we hoping for?

Honestly, the thing I’ll give Snyder the most props for is not recycling that same cold, crystalline **** that we’ve seen in almost every live action Superman adaptation post-Donner. But nevertheless, I’d veer away from what ZS had going on too.

I’d go for a nice Silver Age/Byrne hybrid, which seems to have been what the recent World of Krypton mini had going on…

e79ca4d5c1b37f9533e354bdd86d6ea2f82c4bee.jpg

dbe19f7bf3c6518185d8edb33a64d297b0c33240.jpg

I would kill to see a whole new Krypton full of color and bizarre and wonderful costumes. It would be cool if they used all the styles of Krypton costumes we have seen for different people walking around, it should feel like a real used world full of strange characters somewhat like Star Wars

It would be cool if we could see the green lantern response to krypton exploding. Not sure how to do it without it feeling like forced shared universe stuff but I remember it was a cool moment in the comics when they thought the issue was under control when it wasn’t and they weren’t able to provide help

It should look like the Met Gala but a thousand times more bizarre

How would you feel if Krypton had other alien life forms walking around showing that its one of many advanced places in the universe?

Kind of like Xandar in Guardians. I wouldn't be opposed. I think if we get a version of Kandor we could really get a look at a "living" krypton but from supermans pov as a visitor.

Sidenote: I wouldn't mind if Brainiac took samples of everything in the universe and instead of bottling things he Digitized them and turned them into data that he kept in orbs. And he can plug himself or others into his system and "visit" these living digital samples virtually. Superman can beat brainiac and take Kandor vowing to never stop looking for a way to reverse and restore it.

I don't have a specific idea of how I'd like Kryptonians to dress or how their cities should look, but I know I want to finally see cool **** like the Scarlet Jungle, Jewel Mountains, and Gold Volcano.

It would be cool if it kind of had that vibe of when they introduced Ming the Merciless in the Flash Gordon movie

It would be cool if it kind of had that vibe of when they introduced Ming the Merciless in the Flash Gordon movie

This is very dope and I love the colors and costumes perhaps that's really all you were pointing out maybe, but I feel this still has the same feel as S:TM. It could just be it a product of its time I dunno, you could almost tell me this was the same set but with crystals instead and I would believe it. But as far as the outlandish style it has then for sure.

Also on a separate note, does Krypton HAVE to be the land of the grumps, it's always so miserable there. Maybe that is to contrast Earth but it's always so moooooody and bleak.

Maybe something like this...View attachment 64163

Or this.
View attachment 64162
You have to be careful tho, or there could be comparisons to MOS or coruscant
The blue sky beam returns!

I don't mind this look, I would like something akin to Pandora but with a future city in the mix.

The idea I have had for ages is that Kryptons have a symbiotic relationship with their planet and they are able to create housing, vehicles of whatever kind, weapons, and anything else with this relationship. Similar to how a crystal was able to build The Fortress of Solitude, plant life is able to build the required things they need.

We've had "dystopian Krypton" for a while. I'd like the pendulum to swing: give us a Krypton where its actually *tragic* that the planet blew up, not because it caused loss for specific individual people we care about, but because the civilization in general is a loss to the universe. Characters who've never even met Kal-El should be going "Damn it, its a shame Krypton exploded, they had such potential to do great and good things".

Back in the day, I wanted Krypton to be tied into the war between apokolips and new genesis,
( on new genesis side of course ) and that lead to Darkseid destroying Krypton out of revenge.

Last edited:
We've had "dystopian Krypton" for a while. I'd like the pendulum to swing: give us a Krypton where its actually *tragic* that the planet blew up, not because it caused loss for specific individual people we care about, but because the civilization in general is a loss to the universe...

Originally, I think Krypton was an amalgam of Eden, Utopia, (New) Atlantis, Shangri-La, etc. I.e., the ideal of a near-perfect society. Except, it had a poetic and tragic flaw: a finite lifespan, doomed to destruction.

Of course, over the decades Krypton's fictional history got more embellished. There were, for instance, a substantial number of criminals (Zod, et. al.); a justice system to deal with them; and a prison (the PZ) to banish them to. IOW, Krypton became less idealized and more like Earth — albeit with advance tech.

You could go back to the original utopia concept. But you'd have to give up a lot of the backstory stuff.

Originally, I think Krypton was an amalgam of Eden, Utopia, (New) Atlantis, Shangri-La, etc. I.e., the ideal of a near-perfect society. Except, it had a poetic and tragic flaw: a finite lifespan, doomed to destruction.

Of course, over the decades Krypton's fictional history got more embellished. There were, for instance, a substantial number of criminals (Zod, et. al.); a justice system to deal with them; and a prison (the PZ) to banish them to. IOW, Krypton became less idealized and more like Earth — albeit with advance tech.

You could go back to the original utopia concept. But you'd have to give up a lot of the backstory stuff.

You don't even *necessarily* have to do that, I'd say. Basically, if Krypton must by definition become "more like Earth", it can still be more like Earth in the sense of being a "Good End" version of us. Krypton is a planet full of people, not a utopia, but its a planet of people who can at least see utopia, and are putting serious effort into reaching there. Its what Earth could aspire to become one day, centuries down the road.

I really love that 1950s sci fi aesthetic

Gunn was influenced by those bright technicolour mid 20tb century science fiction depictions on the guardians films and I would love to see him continue that with his depiction of krypton.

For me, Krypton should be similar to coruscant.
Many miles tall buildings, with practically 90% of the surface developed.
Except I would add color to it.

Put me down for that retro mid-twentieth century sci-fi look, with a modern twist.

Enough with the austere look. Give us a Krypton that looks like a glorious utopia on top, but problems beneath the surface that lead to its destruction.

Let's have Clark learn the lessons of the mistakes Krypton made.

If we are to see Jor-El and Lara I hope they are inspired by the Silver/ bronze age look. I would love for Jor to have the green attire with the Rao sun crest and give me the headband!
latest

Statues_of_the_Silver_Age_Jor-El_and_Lara.jpg

Count me in for an updated version of the 1940s - 1960s era sci fi, retrofuture, atompunk aesthetic for Krypton!

7532cadcf7db879f13002862cad25ddb.png

syyyuxo1j4651.png

Honestly they should adapt STAS opening of Krypton and have Brainiac be something they created. Good easter egg to explore in a sequel

I see Krypton and its cities looking like this.futuristic-alien-city-computer-artwork-260nw-215431216.jpgfuturistic-alien-city-computer-artwork-260nw-147047726.jpg
And it's people dressing like this.
ac+13_pg3.jpg

They aren’t aliens if they aren’t in billowing robes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"