Dwayne McDuffie's FF

Malus

Sidekick
Reaction score
I just got through reading FF #542, which arrived today, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. So far, he seems to have a knack for the characters. I like how he downplays Johnny's tomcattin' manner in the opening scene, with the coffee shop cashier. We're seeing a slightly more mature Johnny; I like that.
And I actually liked the title:
"We Used to Go to Hyperspace Just for Doughnuts."

If this issue's explanation of Reed's behavior recently is Dwayne McDuffie's idea, then I'm doubly impressed.
I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, so I'll hold off on specifics. I just thought I'd solicit some others' opinions...

I just got through reading FF #542, which arrived today, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. So far, he seems to have a knack for the characters. I like how he downplays Johnny's tomcattin' manner in the opening scene, with the coffee shop cashier. We're seeing a slightly more mature Johnny; I like that.
And I actually liked the title:
"We Used to Go to Hyperspace Just for Doughnuts."

If this issue's explanation of Reed's behavior recently is Dwayne McDuffie's idea, then I'm doubly impressed.
I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, so I'll hold off on specifics. I just thought I'd solicit some others' opinions...

I enjoyed it as well. Great seeing the Mad Thinker again.

tell me more
Based on a youthful reading of Asimov's "Foundation" Trilogy, Reed at some point developed a science involving social dynamics called "Psychohistory" - by which he can accurately predict what course society will take if the Super Human Registration Act is not implemented. And though he apparently disagrees with the Act itself, and what the Pro-S.H.R.A forces are doing, all other courses of action lead to the extinction of mankind. He's certain of it, and is obviously tortured by this.

Reed shows the Thinker his private work room, which has walls (and a ceiling) covered with equations. All working out one problem, the Thinker observes.

I love the Thinker's line (referring to Reed's fascination with Asimov's fictional science): "You liked it so much that you invented it."
Reed: "It was the first entirely new field I ever created."

And I liked Reed's response to Sue in the final panel, as she's storming off declaring that she and the resistance are going to beat the odds. She's already out of the room as he says, almost sorrowfully:
"No. Don't you see? You're not."

My favorite part is that the mad thinker could quite simply be lying...

and isnt that how almost all villanous regimes start, trying to help and seeing that "standard" methodology isn't working so the slowly fall into more and more "extreme" methods until they nearly embody what it is they were trying to save us from...

I liked this issue and I really loved his Johnny.:heart: The art helped too.

I liked this issue and I really loved his Johnny.:heart: The art helped too.

The new artist, Paul Pelletier, takes over in a couple of issues.
I haven't seen enough of his work to have an opinion.
I've been tiring of McKone's Thing, though. I think he has way too slim a build in some panels. The Hulk vs Thing issues he did come to mind. Ben's waist was way too narrow in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"