Ethan Hawke in First Reformed (dir. Paul Schrader)

StarLord

<<<<<<<<<<
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread for this. It's been getting some rave reviews and I believe it's out in the U.S. right now.

[YT]hCF5Y8dQpR4[/YT]

Reverend Ernst Toller (Ethan Hawke) is a solitary, middle-aged parish pastor at a small Dutch Reform church in upstate New York on the cusp of celebrating its 250th anniversary. Once a stop on the Underground Railroad, the church is now a tourist attraction catering to a dwindling congregation, eclipsed by its nearby parent church, Abundant Life, with its state-of-the-art facilities and 5,000-strong flock. When a pregnant parishioner (Amanda Seyfried) asks Reverend Toller to counsel her husband, a radical environmentalist, the clergyman finds himself plunged into his own tormented past, and equally despairing future, until he finds redemption in an act of grandiose violence. From writer-director Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver; American Gigolo; Affliction) comes a gripping thriller about a crisis of faith that is at once personal, political, and planetary.

FaCI8pG.jpg

I'd always been pretty so-so about Hawke until I watched him in the brilliant Predestination so I think I'll look out for this.

I've always liked Hawke. Even if the movie isn't that great, he manages to put in a decent performance.

Definitely doesn't make standard choices either.

I totally forgot about this, but yeah, this looks great. I love Schrader's penchant for writing loner weirdos and even if he's had mixed results, when he hits, he hits.

This looks amazing, love it. Hits all the classic themes from Scorsese/Schrader collabs.

This is an astounding work from Schrader, the screenplay is just unbelievable in both impact and nuance and there is a real depth to the characters and the ways they interact. But the film also delivers on a visual level within the constraints of its minimal "transcendental style" approach and Hawke, quite simply, has never been better. Really hope he gets a Best Actor nom, and I think Schrader deserves direction and screenplay noms, too.

Wrote a little something about it here:

https://glassdark.tumblr.com/post/174755011047/first-reformed-2018

In a close heat with Annihilation for my favorite film of 2018 so far.

Man this movie blew me away. It's very much in the vein of Taxi Driver.

This was stellar. This might be Hawke's best performance.

The best movie of the year for me so far. Gonna be reading about it for few days, especially the ending

This movie is a stunner. Wow. On my top five for the year for sure.

Annihilation
First Reformed
Hereditary
The Death of Stalin
You Were Never Really Here

Why didn't A24 move it to Oscar season...Gosling is gonna get nominated for doing nothing for 2h and Hawke poured his soul into this one

This is now available on digital video. Comes out on Blu-Ray at the end of the month.

If you're in the mood for a brilliant, provocative, heartbreaking movie... please check it out. Also for what I believe is Ethan Hawke's best performance.

I wrote an in-depth piece for Paste on how it plays into Schrader's thoughts on the transcendental style and his past work. And how it is not just one of the best films of the year, but one of the best films I have ever seen.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-transcendence-of-first-reformed.html

Watching again tonight. :up:

I changed my mind on the ending.

I wanted the ending we got, but after a rewatch, he definitely goes through with it.

This was brilliant. It appropriately felt like Taxi Driver set in the present day.

I think he
did drink it and as he was dying his mind was creating that vision. He had only few moments left, the pain was probably driving him insane and he desperately wanted to 'see' something good. So because of the urgency of this he didn't imagine her holding his hand or a hug but a passionate kiss

I think it must be a vision because there was no sexual vibe between the two, not really, only the connection and empathy, also she calls him by his name instead of 'Father'. And of course abrupt cut - the moment he dies. And if they were really kissing no way she would let this go on this long - she would feel the barb wire and become concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"