Favorite artists (picture-wise)

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
I attempt to go to Chicago's Art Institute when I get a free moment, which is not often these days, but it's cool to check out some of the older and more recent stuff that's been done. I like a lot of the stuff by Salvador Dali, not to sound cliche, and have been into Basquiat's stuff for a while as well. Any artists you personally have a liking or aversion to, or is this too artsy fartsy for your tastes?

Whack Arnolds said:
Hey..you live in Chicago? That's my spot.
That's cool. There's a few more on here, but I don't know where exactly. I live in Indiana but commute.

bluff.jpg

terry78 said:
That's cool. There's a few more on here, but I don't know where exactly. I live in Indiana but commute.
You work or go to school out here...

As chlichéd as it is, and despite it's reputation for not being all it's cracked up to be, the Mona Lisa utterly blew my mind. I was on E at the time but even so, it still felt utterly unreal when I saw it, and I couldn't look away.

I personally am a fan of the dude who draws Dennis the Menace...but that's just me.

^The eyes follow you around the room. I forgot what that technique is called. I'm sure the E just made it look like her ass was blinking at you also. :o

terry78 said:
^The eyes follow you around the room. I forgot what that technique is called. I'm sure the E just made it look like her ass was blinking at you also. :o
Both.

Calvin said:
As chlichéd as it is, and despite it's reputation for not being all it's cracked up to be, the Mona Lisa utterly blew my mind. I was on E at the time but even so, it still felt utterly unreal when I saw it, and I couldn't look away.
That's how it often is. There's a reason that things become a cliche (I don't know how to do the little thing).

You always hear about Citizen Kane. "Blah blah, House of the Dead was so bad it made Hell Comes to Frogtown look like Citizen KANE. Harhar".
But I realized that after reading tons about it for years, I'd never actually watched it. Watched it, then again with Ebert commentary and it was actually more amazing than I'd thought it'd be.

I thought the Mona Lisa was underwhelming

Carter said:
I thought the Mona Lisa was underwhelming
She looks so composed...but I bet you she's a freak and she gives some good sloppy head. :confused:

Whack Arnolds said:
I personally am a fan of the dude who draws Dennis the Menace...but that's just me.
No, he does cool line variation. Been a fan of the people who adhere to the style.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
No, he does cool line variation. Been a fan of the people who adhere to the style.
Bill Watterson blows him out of the water. No question.

Caravaggio . . . . an extremely underrated renaissance painter . . .

Watterson rocks! Seriously . . . he captures gesture like few others . . .

Duende Verde said:
velvet-elvis.jpg

Tijuana Black Velvet Elvis paintings eat Dogs Playing Poker paintings for breakfast
Don't come into my house and insult my decore. :mad:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
That's how it often is. There's a reason that things become a cliche (I don't know how to do the little thing).

You always hear about Citizen Kane. "Blah blah, House of the Dead was so bad it made Hell Comes to Frogtown look like Citizen KANE. Harhar".
But I realized that after reading tons about it for years, I'd never actually watched it. Watched it, then again with Ebert commentary and it was actually more amazing than I'd thought it'd be.

What? You needed to be convinced Citizen Kane is the film noir/newspaper film to end all films up to the point of it's release?

Don't just watch the commentary. Read some books, it's awe inspiring how much of that film is perfect, and it's mind boggling how much of a 7 layer cake each and every shot is.

I think, without delving too far into it at first, just the basics are amazing. Look at the narrative structure. You've got a film framed in an investigation and book ended by a newspaper documentary. This newspaper documentary you see at the beginning rips off the newspaper documentaries you saw before every film at that point, so when people watched the film when it was first released, they got a real newspaper documentary, and then the start of the film was an identical albeit fake one about the movie! It goes so much farther than just a parady of Hearst and what's her name actress, it's mind blowing.

There's way too much to talk about, but keep in mind the end and the mystery of Rosebud is NOT as simple as most people make it out to be, and it's mostly NOT about Kane longing for childhood AT ALL.

Maybe you're having trouble understanding. I HAD been doing nothing but reading about it for most of my life, then realized I hadn't actually seen it, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all just hype or Emporer's Clothes, when I'd actually watched the movie.:)

DV8 said:
Caravaggio . . . . an extremely underrated renaissance painter . . .

Actually, he's a baroque artist, and he's anything BUT under-rated as far as Baroque artists go. His work is considered the epitome of the Baroque. People like Rubens and Rembrant used techniques they learned from his work.

It's just that there has been this faulty believe in the Western art world for so long that the Renaissance was the 'pinacle' of Western art. :down Most baroque art is under-appreciated... simply because it's not Renaissance, which is why artists like Carravaggio, Velasquez and even Rubens and Rembrant aren't considerd 'Masters' in the same way that Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and company are.

The Citizen Kane (Wilhelm) and Mona Lisa (Calvin) opinions surprise me. I own Citizen Kane (good movie, but not as impressive to me as I maybe expected) and I'm going to the Louvre in a few weeks (where I wasn't even planning on seeking out the Mona Lisa). The Mona Lisa has just... never appealed at all to me. Maybe I'll have to see it in person.

Anyway... Dali, Degas, Cézanne, Pissarro. (Not necessarily in that order.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"