Iron Man Favreau & Downey talk Iron Man on the Set!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20656

Favreau and Downey Jr Talk Iron Man
Exclusive: On set of the '08 blockbuster
18958.jpg
point.gif
point.gif
"To me what's appealing about Iron Man is that it's not a superhero movie set against a backdrop of teen angst. It's about an adult who has demons and is a very flawed hero, much like all the Marvel heroes". If John Favreau's words are anything to go by then we can expect an altogether more grown up comic book movie when his Iron Man touches down next May.

The film follows Tony Stark, a genius weapons manufacturer who is captured by enemy forces in the Gulf War and forced to build a super weapon, in the shape of a technologically advanced suit of armour that can fly, fire laser blasts and toast bread just right. Being a wiley sort, he steals said super weapon and uses it as both a life support system to help his dicky heart and a machine to transform him into crime fighter Iron Man.

"It deals with issue I have more to say about than how hard it is to fit in at high school or meet a girl," continues Favreau on the set of the summer blockbuster. “This is a guy who’s living a glamorous life in Hollywood…This may be a couple of notches above reality, but I know a little of that life”. For a film with grown up themes – as well as being a war hostage and Hollywood playboy, Stark also suffers from alcohol and drug addictions – Favreau had to choose a very grown up proper actor who’s faced a few of his own demons to play Stark. Step forward Robert Downey Jr.

"I see Tony Stark as the best and occasionally worst in Americans and citizens around the world," says Downey Jr. "He’s a brilliant guy, an inventor who can’t totally separate himself from the repercussions of the weapons he builds. There’s a real sense of honour and I know a thing or two about honour”.

So is there a political element to this particular comic book movie? “Y’know, even if there isn’t a political dimension to it, people are gonna project one on to it,” says Downey Jr. “I don’t see this as a bunch of limousine liberals trying to slip one past the bad guys. But the good news is, if it gets too heavy I can simply say, ‘Dudes, it’s a comic book. Will you relax?’”

For more of this exclusive Iron Man set visit pick up the new copy of Empire, on sale now

Mods, is this one gonna get merged into the USA Today thread too?

"limousine liberals trying to slip one past the bad guys"

Tell Downey to stick to the script and leave the thinking to people who haven't killed most of their active brain cells.

lets hope the use of "hollywood" just refers to the glitter shininess of super wealth and fame and that he lives in NY

lets hope the use of "hollywood" just refers to the glitter shininess of super wealth and fame and that he lives in NY

Jon Favreau said Tony Stark will live in LA, not NY, he made a valid point that so many of Marvel's current movie franchise hero's, Spider man, X-Men and Fantastic Four all reside in New York, he wanted a hero on the west coast and Tony has spent much of his life in California.

Tell Downey to stick to the script and leave the thinking to people who haven't killed most of their active brain cells.

You mean people like George Bush? :whatever:

Why does it sayTony will be a prisoner during the Gulf War? I thought he was going to be held in Afghanistan.

LOL Dontcha just love movies like this? I thought it was supposed to be the Gulf War too, I could be wrong.

wtf!

not ny!

omg! hulk is west coast!

this sucks

lets boycott this movie

it is offensive to new yorkers! blah blah blah

whatever.

still, the whole all the heroes being in nyc is what makes me love marvel

Say what you want about how people will preceive the "politics" of the movie but this to me says TONY STARK more to me than anything I heard from anyone...

"I see Tony Stark as the best and occasionally worst in Americans and citizens around the world," says Downey Jr. "He’s a brilliant guy, an inventor who can’t totally separate himself from the repercussions of the weapons he builds. ”

Excellent analysis of Tony Stark's personalityLooks like we may get a movie in the same veign of "BAtman Begins" than Spiderman.

Are you a limosine liberal or something?:huh:

Hey, I like the term limousine liberals... pretty catchy... and sums up a lot of people in hollywood who like to talk big, but lead hyprocritical lives.

As for Downery Jr.? Sounds pretty smart to me... if he's killed off most of brain cells, then he's the master of efficiency.

Every time RDJ is interviewed it just gets better:up:

"Stark also suffers from alcohol and drug addictions"

Uh-oh. Hope that's a misprint.

Why does it sayTony will be a prisoner during the Gulf War? I thought he was going to be held in Afghanistan.

Who cares? The main idea is that Tony will be held, so i have no problems with either Gulf War or Afghanistan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"