Fuse

Hmmm I don't know. Could be it differs because it's 4 players, or maybe even splitscreen? It could also just be because it was a snow level and their engine doesn't have very good snow effects. Either way, I would describe the graphics overall as 'smooth'. I was impressed with how fluid all the animations looked and felt. You didn't have to think to much about getting from point A to point B.

• Well there's alot on the line as this video interview has explained about the deal EA has with insomniac well from one of the questions the interviewer asked there's a program that was cancelled that fuse is a part of.
  • The Break Room Interviews: Ted Price

The head of Insomniac games talks about the risks of running an independent studio and the influence of mobile and indie development.

Hope they do well.

Last edited:
Tried the Demo again. At least I'm trying to like this, and didn't shut it off immediately like DmC. Again, the game plays solid, but I'm not really a fan of pumping tons of ammo, into bulletsponge enemies, to activate secondary effects. Instead of lifting enemies out of cover with Izzy's Shattergun, why can't I just waste them with a couple head shots, the moment they reek their heads out of over? There are weapons that can do that, but I think they are limited to Sniper rifles, handguns and Jacob's crossbow. Everything else is too weak to kill them immediately. And the aiming is also way too slow, and I have it set on max. So combined with the fact that enemies soak up damage, regular guns are too weak and the aim is too slow, the enemies sometimes have an easy time to just run past you.

As for the teamwork aspect, from what the demo has shown, there's not much, apart from the basic. There's the coordination and flanking that is in every co-op game, if you know what you are doing, but apart from the addition of two people have to get here and hold the action button, there really wasn't much else. Army of Two may have been a mediocre game, but I really enjoyed the co-op gameplay and wish FUSE would have taken some of its elements.

[YT]wMtHMmrpPrs[/YT]

Even Peace Walker's co-op looks a bit more fun. FUSE is just really as basic as they come.

[YT]mlpH_I4DTLk[/YT]

I wish them the best and hope their game is successful, but from checking a couple places, the FUSE demo isn't exactly being showered with praise.

Does anyone know what is the name of the chick in the skin tight green suit?

i wish Insomniac all the best but I really hope they go back to Sony and make another Resistance game and for the PS4 of course. It would be interesting to see that series in modern times

I wonder what the game would have been like, if they didn't put the focus on these Fuse weapons and focused more on some spy action. I really hope there's more to the game than just blasting the bad place out of the opposition. I liked that you could easily stealth kill the first 3-4 enemies in the Demo. It would be great if it's possible to stealth whole sections, if you can coordinate it well with your teammates.

while I know I myself would have loved it if they went more spy themed and felt it made more sense with what they were talking about. the weapons weren't a bad idea. but it become the over all every thing. well I'll back track here a bit cause who's to say it was bad or not . I'm not really saying that here.

But some how I feel they shot them selves in the foot with part of that some how not going all the way through with the spy theme. but in a way sony made the same mistake with the MMO the agency and cause of their weird direction change of heading in a more military direction then spy theme, that project fell apart as well.

With EA there seem's to be this thing with any time some one approach's them with any thing spy themed they seem to ether refuse it or turn it into a more military thing.
as a bioware Executive told joystiq once.

Which is quiet puzzling with what's the deal with the management at EA and having this dislike for spy themed games? how ever ted said this was their chose for what fuse became and he even explained that focus group thing and it had nothing to do with 12 year olds in the end in that last video interview up top shows .

Some how they really dropped the ball with saying this was still secret agent themed and it's missing a alot in that respect.

As I said before in a prior post some time ago the only things left are the reviews and how it does sales wise at launch.

oh this was just put up
. Insomniac CEO On Next-Gen Goals And How Game Development ChangedBy . May 11, 2013 . 5:00pm

“It’s definitely become more complicated. Let me back that up; I think expectations from gamers have continued to rise. There is now a need to provide both a great single player experience and a fantastic multiplayer experience also.

source:Siliconera

Last edited:
Kind of a bummer to hear you guys aren't enjoying Fuse. I know this will sound dumb but, maybe check out the retail game when it releases? Just go out and rent the game. I'm finding it to be a lot more enjoyable than any of the demos shown/released.

Maybe I'll get it eventually down the line, just to have another co-op game, but it's definitely not a must have title for me right now. It's not a terrible game, but it doesn't do anything so well that I'd say "I must have that!". I know, crazy weapons are a staple of Insomniac games, but in this case, I wish they would have tried something different.

Not bad. But I hope there's someone out there who made a Trailer that is fun, in the same vein as the first Overstrike Trailer. I don't like how every Trailer focuses on how hardcore and serious Fuse has now become.

Not bad. But I hope there's someone out there who made a Trailer that is fun, in the same vein as the first Overstrike Trailer. I don't like how every Trailer focuses on how hardcore and serious Fuse has now become.

Thanks Nathan!

And, continuing the plug, here a link where you can vote for my video if you enjoy it.

http://bit.ly/13xEO6A

Thanks so much guys!

• This was put up on Game Informer today while i was finish up reaching max levels with marvel heroes. before it's own launch this week.

source: GI

More people seem to have problems with the games marketing than the actual game.

it's kinda like what happened with dead Island with their trailer which messed up it's progress on the console's. Well that and it wasn't fun on consoles.

7/10 is still good. But nowadays simply not good enough if you want to sell several million copies of your game, and expect people to buy it at launch.

A couple more reviews.

Gameranx

Fuse Review: Insomniac Abandons its Personality

Coming from a studio like Insomniac which has always shown imagination in their game mechanics, that Fuse is so painfully generic is quite disappointing. Fuse, ultimately, is an effort best forgotten, because it demonstrates little of what made us like Insomniac in the first place.

5/10

Source

the escapist

Fuse Review - High-Tech Mayhem

Bottom Line: Some of Fuse's flaws, like the grindy boss fights and a storyline that takes itself a little too seriously at times, can harm the experience, but it's a well built third-person shooter that's fun to play solo or on a team.

Recommendation:
Fuse is a fun action game that old and new fans of third-person shooters will enjoy, but it's not free of a few speed bumps that hurt the overall experience.

4/5

Source

GamerHub.TV

Fuse Is A Co-Op Party Waiting To Happen

So, with its first dual console release, Insomniac Games hasn't exactly gone gangbusters. However, it's a start that could lead to bigger and better things. Fuse has its problems in terms of storytelling and making the single player experience fathomable – especially with three idiots in your employ – but the co-op comes together nicely, and the gameplay generates enough gun-toting excitement to get you through a few well-invested hours of play. It's worth a few nights' rental, at the very least.

Also…why didn't it keep the name Overstrike? I always thought that fit better…

7.5/10

Source

GAMINGBOLT

Fuse Review - A decent outing for those who seek a cooperative adventure

Overall, I commend Insomniac Games for trying something new and different from most 3rd-person shooters. I think the leveling system, team perks, and Echelon Mode are terrific additions and make this game stand out from others. However, at it’s core it’s a typical generic third-person shooter that doesn’t feel that much different from anything we have played in the past.

7/10

Source

SLANT

To the credit of Insomniac Games, movement is as smooth as in their Ratchet & Clank games, and the shooting mechanics seem refined from their work on the Resistance trilogy. The hacky story is at least accompanied by a few good quips and the missions have a few neat diversions in which the party splits into smaller groups or gets timed. But none of this really excuses the banality of Fuse itself, which is missing the larger-than-life set pieces that might make the campaign pop, nor the redundancy of the gameplay, which gives you all these cool weapons only to have you do the same thing with them over and over again, regardless of whether you're on a space station or an underwater research facility. Like the Die Hard franchise, then, each new level plays to diminishing returns, a mindless exercise in action over substance.

2.5/5

Source

Destructoid

Review: FUSE - I'm at the end of mine

Whether it's true or not, Fuse does feel every bit like another victim of the heavily focus-tested, leader following, perpetually terrified mainstream game industry. It's every cloying and desperate element of the retail console market, brought together -- fused, if you will -- to create a factory standard example of a game that tries to be everything the hypothetical mainstream consumer drools over, and ends up as nothing remarkable.

That's Fuse in a nutshell.

It's nothing.

4/10

Source

Last edited:
Not surprising. I think they got lucky with Ratchet and Clank because all their other games have been mediocre at best

IDA. I thought Resistance was pretty solid

I thought all of the Resistances were ridiculously average

I wonder if they are regretting ditching the original Overstrike concept about now.

People were saying this looking completely and totally generic since they unveiled the new look and surprise surprise.

It's sad when people feel so enthusiastic about something, but I can't do anything but feel disappointed in all their gradual changes.

A Message from Ted About Fuse

For all of us at Insomniac, every time we build a new property it’s a wild and crazy rollercoaster ride. From the initial concept to the day that first game hits the shelves, anything can happen. Fuse is our latest escapade.

From the outside it probably appears that the development process for a new franchise is fairly mechanical where there is a recipe of sorts one uses to build the game. Put tab “A” into slot “B”…make sure each box is checked…file all the right TPS reports.

But the reality is far different. Game development is an insanely fluid process even when you’re not making new IP. After almost 20 years we’re still figuring it out. Still evolving. Still trying, failing, trying again, succeeding, and still learning. And that’s what makes building games so much fun!

While we’ve continued to experiment with Ratchet & Clank and while we’ve jumped into browser games (and soon mobile) with Outernauts, Fuse is the first new console IP we’ve built since Resistance. It’s also our first multiplatform game ever. It’s running on a brand new engine. It’s got a new world, new characters, new weapons…and it’s doing stuff that no other 3rd person co-op shooter does.

We’re damn proud of it.

Of course I’m well aware that we’ve taken some heat over our switch from Overstrike to Fuse. We read the YouTube comments. We watch the forums. And we listen.

After our re-reveal of the game in summer 2012 we continued to make adjustments to the game, adding more color; making sure the humor came through in emergent dialogue. No, we didn’t make aesthetic changes because of a 12 year-old’s focus test comments. We did what we thought was right for the Fuse universe. In particular we focused on creating co-op weapons and gameplay that we think work better than any other co-op shooter out there and allowed that to drive the game.

In particular I remember when we had a collective “eureka” moment with the Shattergun. It was last year in mid-spring – in other words way late in production. But we were up against the wall with none of our Xenotech weapons achieving the fun factor we knew we needed.

We decided to go back to the drawing board with all four weapons. Better, our weapons team decided to take off the T-rated shackles and go big with the weapons’ visceral nature. The Magshield started liquefying enemies with a satisfying blast of kinetic energy. The Arcshot began to shoot streams of molten mercury for its traps, melting soldiers. The Warp Rifle, a complete redo, generated black holes where the blast rings would chain together and disintegrate nearby enemies.

It was also then that the Shattergun, my favorite weapon in the game, was born. The weapons crew prototyped this vicious-looking effect where enemies were trapped in razor-edged black melanite. Shooting the melanite resulted in an explosion of bloody black melanite shards – it looked like something out of a heavy, dark sci-movie. And it worked big time. With the Shattergun, everything clicked into place and we knew we had finally figured out the weapons puzzle we had been trying to solve for so long.

That’s just one story out of many. Yet we’ve been unusually (and sometimes unintentionally) open – giving everyone a window into the changes we’ve made along the way. This has been both good and bad for us. While I know there are some who will never be convinced that moving to Fuse was the right decision, I know there are many who appreciate what we’ve done. I know there are many who will try Fuse and will love it.

For you, our fans…for those of you who dig what we do with crazy worlds, characters and weapons…for those of you who check out Fuse and enjoy a co-op romp through a very “Insomniac” game, this is what I have to say: we’re just getting started.

We’ve already begun expanding what we’ve begun with Fuse. Right now as I write this we’re taking the core concepts behind Fuse and prototyping new stuff…stuff that leverages this bizarre alien substance which is at the heart of the game. No, I’m not talking about DLC. I’m talking about new Fuse experiences altogether.

What’s wonderful about creating and owning one’s IP is that you can take it any direction you want. And that’s what we’re going to do. Stay tuned!

Ted

Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"