The Force Awakens Galactic Civil War, followed by Reconstruction...themes for 7,8 & 9!

Jedi-Spirit

Civilian
Reaction score
One of the themes behind the OT, was Civil War, Systems had seceded from the Republic, eventually becoming "Separatists & Rebels" After the U.S Civil War, reconstruction dominated politics, military & government for decades...Could reconstruction be the major theme? If so, this would suggest multiple Adversaries...perhaps those who still blame the Jedi for the Dark Times...An Invasion Force, ready to conquer a war weary galaxy...Tyrants & Dictators ready to make a move against the establishment...All sorts of new factions with their own agendas...and known Enemies & Allies set on reaping leftovers the Empire has lying around throughout the Galaxy...Could make for interesting bedfellows & lots of back stabbing as these groups Jockey for position & power...

That's what I want, and the two biggest threats to be the Imperial Remnant, pretty much wiped out for good in VIII, and the Lost Tribe of Sith in IX.

Perhaps there will be a racists group emerge like the Klan did after the American Civil War, that hates Gungans...

It's definitely possible, and I think it allows for a better conflict storyline, better than just bringing back old enemies or the Sith.

I have a similar theory. In the natural progression of civilization it goes from barbarianism, democracy, republic, empire, and then back to the start. The Empire represented death but was still an organized civilization. There was still an order there...and it was dominating. Once that dictatorship government is toppled, the next step in the cycle wouldn't necessarily be a New Republic, it would be lack of civilization, lack of order. In other words; chaos. All of the unified agents that toppled that former state, that Empire, could end up fighting each other for control.

We could easily have something play out as follows; 30 years after the toppling of the Empire, remnant governors still maintain control over their local systems. They act like mini warlords. It could be a hornets nest of complex border disputes and, much like what happened after WW2, those remnant Imperial systems could end up like Berlin, Germany or even Cuba. They could be forced behind sectioned off "Iron Walls", where those systems now lay in complete ruin.

Perhaps when the story opens, the Rebel Alliance, or whomever is in control is dealing with trying to get some of them back into the larger order. Perhaps they're chasing down fugitives still. Perhaps those Governors are totally resistant and despite their ruining economic state, keep their control. I'd think it would really interesting to have some of the old Imperials come back to the good side. We could have one of the main characters be an Imperial, or a stormtrooper who switches sides. It would be a symbol of how the Empire, now defeated and the Darkside itself is now returning to the Light..which was made possible by Luke defeating the Emperor. That act, returns the lightside to dominate and EP 7 begins with that progression.

We could also introduce another element, one that occurred with Rome. Imperial Rome was toppled due to many factors, including economics, a scattered military, new religious orders coming into existence and foreign invasion. The outer flanks of the Roman territory were invaded by Barbarians. The Barbarians invaded and it broke up that Empire ( ** All of this is pretty abridged version of history, forgive me)

Without a strong governing structure in place (as wicked as the Empire was they held the Galaxy in place) and without a new governing body to immediately take over, the Galaxy would be tremendously vulnerable. Any outside army could invade and take over outlining systems easily.

This also fits in quite nicely with a more spiritual Jedi Luke mission. Luke wants to bring about a new civilization and much akin to how Christianity was built up after the fall of Rome, the New Jedi Order/Spiritual Force could fill in that role. Luke/Jedi/Lightside vs Utter Chaos/Barbarianism.

And with that, you could also introduce Luke gathering 12 new Jedi Knights to form a new jedi council. Imagine a scene where 12 individuals land on some planet all because they 'felt' the force calling them to this place. There they each climb the mountain to meet the Master. It could even be reminiscent of King Arthur. Luke could be a Merlin like figure, where he's looking for a "good and just King", a King Arthur type, someone truly deserving for rule. Someone to lead the people and usher in a new democratic state and defeat chaos, and the threat of lack of civilization itself.

There's a lot of potential. Much, much more than just bringing back the Sith, or the Emperor, or having Leia falling to the darkside.

It's definitely possible, and I think it allows for a better conflict storyline, better than just bringing back old enemies or the Sith.

I have a similar theory. In the natural progression of civilization it goes from barbarianism, democracy, republic, empire, and then back to the start. The Empire represented death but was still an organized civilization. There was still an order there...and it was dominating. Once that dictatorship government is toppled, the next step in the cycle wouldn't necessarily be a New Republic, it would be lack of civilization, lack of order. In other words; chaos. All of the unified agents that toppled that former state, that Empire, could end up fighting each other for control.

We could easily have something play out as follows; 30 years after the toppling of the Empire, remnant governors still maintain control over their local systems. They act like mini warlords. It could be a hornets nest of complex border disputes and, much like what happened after WW2, those remnant Imperial systems could end up like Berlin, Germany or even Cuba. They could be forced behind sectioned off "Iron Walls", where those systems now lay in complete ruin.

Perhaps when the story opens, the Rebel Alliance, or whomever is in control is dealing with trying to get some of them back into the larger order. Perhaps they're chasing down fugitives still. Perhaps those Governors are totally resistant and despite their ruining economic state, keep their control. I'd think it would really interesting to have some of the old Imperials come back to the good side. We could have one of the main characters be an Imperial, or a stormtrooper who switches sides. It would be a symbol of how the Empire, now defeated and the Darkside itself is now returning to the Light..which was made possible by Luke defeating the Emperor. That act, returns the lightside to dominate and EP 7 begins with that progression.

We could also introduce another element, one that occurred with Rome. Imperial Rome was toppled due to many factors, including economics, a scattered military, new religious orders coming into existence and foreign invasion. The outer flanks of the Roman territory were invaded by Barbarians. The Barbarians invaded and it broke up that Empire ( ** All of this is pretty abridged version of history, forgive me)

Without a strong governing structure in place (as wicked as the Empire was they held the Galaxy in place) and without a new governing body to immediately take over, the Galaxy would be tremendously vulnerable. Any outside army could invade and take over outlining systems easily.

This also fits in quite nicely with a more spiritual Jedi Luke mission. Luke wants to bring about a new civilization and much akin to how Christianity was built up after the fall of Rome, the New Jedi Order/Spiritual Force could fill in that role. Luke/Jedi/Lightside vs Utter Chaos/Barbarianism.

And with that, you could also introduce Luke gathering 12 new Jedi Knights to form a new jedi council. Imagine a scene where 12 individuals land on some planet all because they 'felt' the force calling them to this place. There they each climb the mountain to meet the Master. It could even be reminiscent of King Arthur. Luke could be a Merlin like figure, where he's looking for a "good and just King", a King Arthur type, someone truly deserving for rule. Someone to lead the people and usher in a new democratic state and defeat chaos, and the threat of lack of civilization itself.

There's a lot of potential. Much, much more than just bringing back the Sith, or the Emperor, or having Leia falling to the darkside.

I really hope you're Arndt.:up:

I don't want to see a bunch of Jedi or a bunch of Sith. One of the problems with the prequels was just how lame all the throw away Jedi were. Like think about it, how depressing was it seeing the crappy battle droids from Phantom Menace killing like 60 Jedi.

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/2013...-the-head-of-the-star-wars-expanded-universe/

In this article Kasdan says the writers are trying to get away from the "later films" (prequels) focus on ideas and concepts over character. Anyway since it's also stated the movies are based off Lucas' treatments it's likely they'll feature some of the things slated to happen in the outlines for the sequels.

A backstory of Leia being burdened with responsibility she isn't ready for a lone Luke walking into the sunset to wonder and search to rebuild the order (the original ending for VI)
Big high stakes space battles
Leia being Queen of Alderaans remaining citizens
Luke finding a Young female to train in the ways of the force
Luke as an Obi-Wan figure
The appearance of the ultimate great evil by Episode IX

Look around online, they have a bunch of basic layouts from interviews mentioning the planned VII-IX films.

I believe we will see the theme of the Dark Lord returning which has been a popular plot in fantasy films during the past decade. We will get some explanation for what Sidious told Anakin in the prequels about living forever and keeping others from dying.

The driving force in my opinion in the galaxy should be similar to post WWII America. The US came out of WWII as this shining beacon of hope and the boomers created an empire, ran up 16.5 trillion dollars in debt, and bankrupted the nation. If Palpatine's Empire is a parallel of the Nazis; then the Rebel Alliance should become the Empire of Reagan.

If the New Republic is post WWII America; it's embroiled in a Cold War, hysteria about infiltration (pod people/clones), and shadow
wars like Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. The message should be that the New Republic becomes the Empire it fought against.

I would expect Leia to be in the seat of power and act as an authoritarian-- as she is a monarch. Leia would be assassinated and this would open the door for the Sith to take over America, I mean the Republic, and turn it into an empire.

Last edited:
I strongly, strongly advise you to let go of your expectations of Disious returning. Seriously, you're borderline obsessed and in 3 years you'll end up here complaining that you didn't like Ep7 because Sidious didn't return.

Having said that, I'd be all for the Rebellion becoming so rotten and stale that it turns tyrannical. Although the Prequels kinda did it...:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"