• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Google may pull out of China over censorship

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1221045120100113?type=marketsNews
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Google Inc (GOOG.O) said it may pull out of China because it is no longer willing to accept censorship of its search results, in a surprise retreat from the world's largest Internet market by users.

The announcement on Tuesday comes amid growing tensions between China and the United States over Internet freedoms, with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton set to announce a technology policy next week to help citizens in other countries gain access to an uncensored Web. [ID:nN12126354]

Google said it had uncovered a sophisticated attack on the email accounts of Chinese human rights activists using its Gmail service, and that more than 20 other companies were similarly attacked.

"These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered -- combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the Web -- have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China," Google Chief Legal Officer David Drummond said in a statement posted on the company's blog.

"We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China."

It's about time. I hope China doesn't see this as some crazy act of patriotism and start a war or something.:o

This seems counterproductive. If the goal is to stop censorship in China, pulling your business and therefore your leverage out of China... why?

Was the goal to stop censorship in China, or offer a product in China?

I guess I just misread the part of the article that talked about the Secretary of State's involvement.

CENSORED

/china

Last edited:
Google's concern seemed to be with the fact that China's government was trying to use their service to abuse people. I do not thing Google should be doing business with a government that does not respect the rights of its own people, let alone try to get Google to help them suppress the people.

Google's concern seemed to be with the fact that China's government was trying to use their service to abuse people. I do not thing Google should be doing business with a government that does not respect the rights of its own people, let alone try to get Google to help them suppress the people.

Well, Google initially thought "hey, country with a billion people in it, we can make some good money", then things turned to **** and eventually you just got to say "to hell with the money, i'm out" and walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"