Greatest portrayal of Superman?

Christopher Reeve. I loved Cavill as Superman, but to me Reeve was so iconic.

Christopher Reeves captured the Clark Kent/Superman of that era perfectly.

Dean Cain's Clark Kent went for a more modern approach, no nerdiness, more confident which was neat. His Superman was pretty good.

Tom Welling's take on young Clark (Seasons 1-4) was awesome. I still love this show. Season 7 onwards was a little rough at times. Too many teases, some mythology changes I did not enjoy. Welling's Clark would regress a bit at times, but that's not Welling's fault, more so because the show went on for so long. I actually enjoyed the pre-suit costumes. The teases we got of Superman/Older Clark looked cool. Wish we got a bit more of him as Superman.

Henry Cavill's Clark/Superman is more like the modern Superman of the comics, which isn't for everyone. The ending of Man of Steel scene where Superman is floating talking to the Military was very Reeve like Superman. It seemed like a tease for the future, but not so much. I think he would be one of the best if his Superman had a better direction for the character. It's just been a little too dark.

I saved the best for last...

Nicolas Cage and Clark Kent/Superman
What could have been. Am I right? :o

Last weekend I re-watched Superman II, both the cinematic and Donner cuts ( for comparison). The Donner cut doesn't feel like a finished film really - the Lester/cinematic version is more polished, better edited, makes more sense.

However, one thing that doesn't change is the incredible portrayal of Superman by Christopher Reeve. It just doesn't get any better.

Superman Returns was on TV as well...and It really drove home how important Reeve's charm, sense of humour, and immense presence were, because Brandon South had none of that. I would argue that Chris Reeve was a terrific Superman even in awful movies ( Superman III and IV) which is easier to watch than a boring, lackluster Superman in a mediocre movie.

Quest for Peace is pretty terrible - but Reeve is still great, that speech at the U.N. gets me every time.

You know I'm not sure I've ever watched Superman III-IV and I have only seen the Donner Cut of II. Maybe I can track them down on Blu Ray.

Also I totally forgot to talk about Brandon Routh's portrayal of Superman..but I pretty much agree with what you said. I haven't watched SR in years. I saw it in theaters once and didn't enjoy it. I actually don't own it. Maybe i should give it one more chance.

I still think the reasons Routh had none of the charm was down to the script and Bryan Singer. We’ve seen Routh in other roles and he certainly has charm.

You know I'm not sure I've ever watched Superman III-IV and I have only seen the Donner Cut of II. Maybe I can track them down on Blu Ray.

Don't bother with the Donner cut - the Lester version is better because it's a more complete film. The Donner cut was reconstructed from footage they unearthed, and while it tells the same story it feels a bit disjointed ( and substitutes a great line " Care to step outside General?" with a dumb one " Haven't you ever heard about the freedom of the press General ?" among other things).

Also I totally forgot to talk about Brandon Routh's portrayal of Superman..but I pretty much agree with what you said. I haven't watched SR in years. I saw it in theaters once and didn't enjoy it. I actually don't own it. Maybe i should give it one more chance.

I wouldn't. I nearly walked out of the cinema on that one - the bit where Superman lands on an island largely made of kryptonite and looks surprised when he gets his ass kicked made me want to:barf:.

I still think the reasons Routh had none of the charm was down to the script and Bryan Singer. We’ve seen Routh in other roles and he certainly has charm.

This is true. Routh has quite a sense of humour. The director and writers have to take a lot of the blame for such a lame characterisation of Superman.
TBH Kevin Spacey was pretty average as Luthor too.

Last edited:
Reeve is Superman. Hands down, the definitive version. Cavill looks the part, but just hasn't resonated with audiences as much as he should have. Give him new material to work with - who knows?
Routh I felt was unfortunate as he was the wrong guy at the wrong time. Give Routh the gig now & I think he'd be a terrific Superman.

It's kinda depressing to think that just when Cavill was FINALLY feeling like Superman, they give him the boot. He had the potential to surpass Reeve for me if he had the right material to work with.

I agree, and this has probably already been brought up, but I almost feel like he played a better Supes in that brief role in Scott Pilgrim than when he actually played Supes lol. It's indeed disappointing that he turned out so plain, knowing what could have been.

I have a soft spot for Dean Cain's Superman as he was the first Superman that I ever remembered watching and I thought Cain's performance as Clark Kent was solid but his Superrman was underwhelming.

Last edited:
I prefer Cavill's take on Kal. He's equal parts rock-solid hero and friendly guy, and I like the removal of the bumbling aspects of Clark's personality. I liked Welling's portrayal for the first five seasons of Smallville, as well.

I agree that I didn’t like “bumbling Clark” but the scenes where Reeve goes from Clark to Superman are superb. The scene I think of in particular is where Lois finds out in Superman II after Clark falls in the fire. Reeve physically looks different when he drops the Clark routine. It is flat out incredible acting.

I agree that I didn’t like “bumbling Clark” but the scenes where Reeve goes from Clark to Superman are superb. The scene I think of in particular is where Lois finds out in Superman II after Clark falls in the fire. Reeve physically looks different when he drops the Clark routine. It is flat out incredible acting.

It's the same in Superman the movie. After the flying sequence with Lois he turns up as Clark. He thinks about telling Lois that he's Superman and you literally see his entire posture and bearing change - even the timbre of his voice. It's a transformation that's quite incredible really.

I think Reeve is not only the best Superman but the best actor to ever play the character.

Cavill, and easily. Reeves was good but didn't really stand out to me like Henry did.

Yes, Reeve all the way, but Cain at least deserves a spot on the poll.
If you're gonna include one live-action TV Superman, you ought to include them all, imo.

Personally, Hoechlin's the only one whose portrayal has resembled the versions I've loved in the comics and animation. But I did love Dean Cain's Clark.

If you're gonna include one live-action TV Superman, you ought to include them all, imo.

Personally, Hoechlin's the only one whose portrayal has resembled the versions I've loved in the comics and animation. But I did love Dean Cain's Clark.

Not sure why Cain and Hoechlin and Welling can't be added into the poll - IMO Reeve is still tops but Hoechlin is pretty good too.

I did like Cavill's hairy-chested-blue-collar-job-drinking-beer-watching football- helping mom with the dishes version of Clark.

I did like Cavill's hairy-chested-blue-collar-job-drinking-beer-watching football- helping mom with the dishes version of Clark.
It's funny, I championed him for the role hard, but one of the reasons that version ultimately fell flat with me is that I didn't buy those scenes AT ALL. I realized Cavill didn't sell the midwestern farmboy vibes remotely well enough for me - he had too much of a British boys' school vibe for me to believe it. Something about his rigid posture and delicate/boyish features makes me feel like he's never been on a farm in his life. It was like he'd never even worn a baseball cap before playing Clark Kent, lol. That's one of the (many) reasons I gravitate more toward Hoechlin's. He's got more of that blue collar, natural Americana vibe I want in Supes, so I wasn't even surprised to learn he was a pretty serious baseball player at one point and considered going pro.

No need to add him to the poll, I just want to say that the guy that made his voice in the DCAU was wicked good too.

I think one of reasons why I like Hoechlin, Welling and Cain versions of Clark Kent so much is they were all influenced by the post Crisis Superman. I personally prefer the modern intepretation of Clark being the real personality while Superman is the mask and that for me makes Superman down to earth as the Superman from the silver age is way too powerful/God like for me taste.

No need to add him to the poll, I just want to say that the guy that made his voice in the DCAU was wicked good too.
Oh yeah, I loved Tim Daly. Once upon a time, he could've fit the role in live-action, too:

c32e99b5977f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"