Hell Houses and Other Faith Through Fear Tactics

Bubonic

Superhero
Reaction score
Here are some links to videos of commonly used fear tactics. The whole point being to scare the living crap out of children so that they can play their part in converting others.

It's an ethical issue more then it is an attack on Christianity, might not bear the same severity as using the mentally handicap as bombs, but for North America it is still pretty despicable.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?do...171&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_UI-EBGnqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjrc85pV3ME

The first link is a long "testimonial" of how hell was.
The second is an excerpt from a documentary that exposed a hell house.
The third is a letter from hell.

Kids are exposed to this garbage. It is an assault on the mind.

For clarity, I am not saying all Christians do this, but those who do and propagate it need to be stopped.

It is also a poor representation of hell

I felt sick after watching those second two. They are such gross, blatant misrepresentations of God's word, even as it is found in the Bible. I seriously feel like I'm about to throw up.

I picked the last video to watch...and if any Christian truly feels that way, then I would not want to meet them in person for I would be repulsed by their beliefs to the point of wanting to inflict physical harm upon them. :down

I worked a show once at a theatre I ran the lights for, and it was some religious mumbo jumbo (part of the "Day of Miracles", which was a multi-religious conference thing where the christians met the buddists met the jewish met the mormons, etc.) and this was a play where the rapture came and the false prophets, the fornicators and the homosexuals all went to hell.

I always thought it was amusing that in the play someone MURDERED a gay guy and only the gay went to hell, which was a red lit area of the orchestra pit with cardboard cutouts of flames and small children wearing demon masks bouncing on trampolines.

That is just awful. Christianity has become a cult.

This, and stuff like you see in Jesus Camp, are part of a movement trying to fight fundamentalism with fundamentalism.

Its a deliberate step towards the preaching of hate, and in its own right isn't far removed from what we so adementally criticize coming from some segments of Islam.

This will probably lead to our own brand of terrorist that will escalate hate crimes against gays, abortion clinics, and muslims.
I can only seeing this perpetuating more tragedy.

It also shows us how important it is not to condemn a whole religion for the actions and practises of individual denominations. There is a large segment of America that feel that all Islamist are terrorist, but wouldn't want something like this to be representative of their own faith.

As for Christianity as a cult, well it can be... For me the line between cult and religion is pretty ambiguous.

As for Christianity as a cult, well it can be... For me the line between cult and religion is pretty ambiguous.

The only difference is how many followers your cult has.

Since the government made that assumption of Muslims based on the actions of Muslim fringe groups maybe it's about time Christians got a taste.

Enjoy years and years of wire tapping, imprisonment, and possibly torture without trails. :up:

and Bush compared the war on terror to the crusades, so don't give me the whole christians are more compassionate jibber jabber.

It's just weird how the cults latch on to the scary stuff. I mean, most religions all say the same basic thing, "Hey, quit being *******s to each other. Just be nice," but the cults latch on to the scary things that have like 1 line in the bible/koran/torah/prophecy/fortune cookie that was probably added by some pissed off religious figure who had got a speeding ticket on his chariot that day and decided that he was going to take it out on the masses

hrm [/watchman]

it says my post was edited but appears unchanged.

interesting

It's really sad what's happened to Christianity these days. As a Christian, I'm frightened to an extent.

I watched the third video. Truly creepy ****, and I'm Christian.

I shut off the second one, though, because Dawkins is an *******.

It's really sad what's happened to Christianity these days. As a Christian, I'm frightened to an extent.

But this has nothing to do with Christianity. There were religious hate mongers. There will always be religious extremist. But they don't reflect Christianity as a whole, nor is their radical movement growing.

With the age of youtube though - more visual examples are spread further though.

Wow that's so hilarious. Especially the third one. Man what a cry baby.

But this has nothing to do with Christianity. There were religious hate mongers. There will always be religious extremist. But they don't reflect Christianity as a whole, nor is their radical movement growing.

With the age of youtube though - more visual examples are spread further though.

It still is frightening regardless. I'm scared that this is going to open the door towards bigotry and stereotyping towards Christians.

We need to find a way to abolish religious extremism (as for anti-religious extremism - two wrongs don't make a right). People like these, the Muslim extremists, Richard Dawkins and all forms of radicals need to be either wiped out and weakend to the point isn't even worth fighting for.

How is Dawkins being seen to some people as also being in the wrong in that video?

Not in that video in particular maybe, but from what I've seen, read and heard of him from various sources, he's basically the atheist equivalent of Pat Robertson. He said that anyone who is any form of a theist does not have the right to be let into a science class.

I've been to one hell house and I hated it and decided to not go to another one. The reason is that I'm not against people educating others about the idea of Hell. I believe it exists. But I am very much against scare tactics. I talked to the guy who headed up the hell house shortly after I went through it and asked him why he showed the scary parts of Hell, but not the alternative of Heaven/God's Love/etc. He said that if they chose to get saved after the Hell House then they can go to a small room to the side where someone can explain those things. I thought that was rediculous as there is now no substance to their faith. I'd say about 80% of the people I've met who converted to faith due to fear walk away in under a year.

Scare tactics suck. Jesus didn't use scare tactics.

Not in that video in particular maybe, but from what I've seen, read and heard of him from various sources, he's basically the atheist equivalent of Pat Robertson. He said that anyone who is any form of a theist does not have the right to be let into a science class.

i don't think that comparison is apt. Dawkins is a highly intelligent scientist who is clearly upset that science can be belittled so easily without a shred of evidence, when faith texts are accepted blindly and yet both are deemed by society as "equally valid". Whereas, Pat Robertson tried to cure AIDS by talking to his imaginary friend, and even told some people that they had been cured of it... (which of course they hadn't, and went on to infect more people)

furthermore, i don't think Dawkins has every declared anything as absurd as claiming that feminist rights for women led to practicing witchcraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"