Home Air Purifier-No Stuffiness in Winter

Yowza

Sidekick
Reaction score
Potentially Awesome Product Alert:
I suppose these forums are kind of odd to post something like this but anyone consider buying a real nice air purifier for winter months?

Windows can't really be opened during winter months and even when are still gets stuffy especially if an apartment live in. I was walking through Target the other day and see they have a Dyson air purifier on display (really eye catching circular kind of design).

Here are the various air purifier models that are looking pretty impressive (all work and can be controlled with your phone):https://www.dyson.com/air-treatment.html
Dyson Air Treatment (can see all the older models just got priced down):
*Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower Fan 349.99 (was 499.99)
*Dyson Pure Cool Link 299.99 (was 419.99); this is the one on display at most Target stores
*Dyson Pure Hot and Cold Purifier 479.99 (was 599.99)
*Newest: Dyson Pure Purifying Fan w/sensor display real time air quality plus new Dual Filter 449.99
*Newest: Dyson Pure Purifying Tower w/sensor Display real time air quality plus new Dual Filter $549.99
*Newest: Dyson Pure Hot and Cold Purifier w/sensor Display real time air quality plus new Dual Filter$649.99

No odors from people farting in your house, cooking, allergens, ect. I got about $120.00 knocked off the $550.00 one with Bed, Bath, and Beyond membership (Target didn't have this one on the shelf). If it improves the air quality to almost like being outside in the middle of winter that'll be pretty awesome. Apartments can get stuffy sometimes.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of what the model I bought looks like:
182425065061107p__1

The realtime sensor on the front is more of a novelty for current version (all I believe can still monitor with your phone even if display isn't right on the device).

Last edited:
My 68 year old mother has one, so....it's kinda relevant.

So how much money is Dyson paying you Hello? :o

I'm thinking about recommending it to my parents.

I have it running right now (bought the newest tower model w/sensor display usually priced at $549.99) and the air seems a bit more fresh (has "Air multiplier technology"). Still not like outside but if I have it running for a while will see what happens.

I'll unfortunately have to upgrade my phone to get the app (android 5.0 and above) for remote monitoring and added customization but still can monitor pollutants with the sensor display on the front of the device as well as make adjustments with the remote that comes with it.

The sensor display on all Dyson's newest models on the front of the machine can toggle by hitting the "i" button on remote:
*air quality graph every 12 seconds
*Particulate matter (up to 2.5 microns suspended in air like smoke, allergens, bacteria); display gives graph as well as numerical amount
*Particulate matter (up to 10 microns) luke dust, mold, pollen; display gives graph as well as numerical amount as well
*Nitrogen dioxide/other gasses (burning gas from cooking or vehicle exhaust); display gives graph
*Volatile organic Compounds (paints, cleaning products, odors) gives graphed amount
*Indoor temperature
*Indoor Humidity
*Filters (tells how close to needing to be changed for carbon and glass hepa filters)
*Wi-Fi (current status of wi-fi connection

Other buttons on remote besides power include:

-fan oscillation settings, airflow speed, automode (will turn on at certain settings only when detects pollutants), airflow direction (switches fan direction),night mode (dimmed lights; if auto mode on then will be lowered speeds too)

4 Programmer Options:
-Turn wi-fi off (hold power button 5 seconds)
-Turn continuous monitoring off (this continues unless unplugged but can hit 1 of buttons 5 seconds on remote to disengage this putting machine in standbye)
-Glass filter reset (hold another button 5 seconds after change filter will then start timing again); Carbon filter reset (same thing)

As can see, can do quite a bit even if have an older phone unable to download the app.

Last edited:
So how much money is Dyson paying you Hello? :o

LOL. Nothing. I paid quite a bit today for one. My family is just buying for kids this Christmas so I figured I could splurge a bit on something health promoting.

I just put stuff up sometimes while trying figure something out and thought it was something interesting to suggest for Christmas but moreso if anyone just sick of stuffy air during winter time. I was also curious if anyone else tried this out. There was a smaller older model I initially saw Target displaying on their endcaps and pretty eye catching so figured some people may have some thoughts on this as well. It is an interesting product I think.

Last edited:
My gay friend's sister's Italian roommate's transexual aunt former uncle has one. They love it.

Let me clarify I'm not selling and just doing a fun product review thing. Anyone else want to say some interesting products time to time I'll read that too. If people don't want me putting product reviews on here feel free to let me know however you wish. If just wish to ignore too that is fine too as this is the only product review I probably will post here anyways.

Filter on Newer Models: That being said, I'm glad I purchased the newer model. It's not just the real-time sensor on the front of the device but also the filter itself that is different. A glass hepa that surrounds an inner carbon filter is on the newer models while just an older evo filter on the older as seen here: https://www.dyson.com/air-treatment/purifier-accessories.html
Filter replacement on newer models is $80.00 (discounted rate can easily be found though) with a sensor on device showing bar for how much is used up throughout usage. They're supposed to last for years from what I understand but suppose if someone were to put it in a real grimy area like in a barn and have it run continuously it could be used up much faster (mainly for home use in other words).

My gay friend's sister's Italian roommate's transexual aunt former uncle has one. They love it.

LOL. Well, there's a lot of different things to lose money on. The price range isn't too out there and the older models seem to be selling out pretty fast from the stores I've been at.

As can see by the models I posted, some models have a space heater (no radiant coils)/cooling fan/purifier all-in-one that covers a fairly wide area that can be purchased at a pretty reasonable price even when not considering the design/technical aspects.

I already have a GermGuardian AC482 and though it isn't as expensive as that it still does the job. I'm going to get a second one soon, the newer model GermGuardian AC4300.

The Germ Gaurdian is a good product and I'd like to review it. 130 square feet can still do the job just have to leave it on longer.

I'm still reading up on it to see how the filters compare but the Dyson tower that I purchased covers about 300 square feet with built in cooling fan to circulate the air to maximize output and not turn off as quickly if have it on auto-mode. The 360 degree filter design helps with efficiency too (real time sensor on the unit, alexa voice enabled control, or added mobile phone monitoring/customization for auto or nightmodes just added perks really). For humor sake, if someone were to fart in front of it, everyone will know when to leave the room until the VOC indicator levels off on their smart phones (not that it's designed for this purpose but still funny to think about).

Overall, it does a lot and is very simple to operate.

Here's the dual-filter that snaps on/off at base https://www.dyson.com/support/journey/tools/969048-01.html:
360˚ Glass HEPA filter
29 feet of borosilicate microfibers, pleated over 238 times, to capture 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns.

Activated carbon filter
Tris impregnated carbon granules capture gases such as formaldehyde, benzene and nitrogen dioxide.

Last edited:
I was drinking a Perrier Mineral Water when I saw that only with tap water ice cubes since it wasn't cold enough. So yeah, I buy it for the taste. (Still, an in-line water filter I would like to get at some point after seeing how many metal sediments collect at the bottom of a water heater after having a plumber over months back. Since then, always keep cold water running for bit if know the valves been previously turned to hot.)

I don't think canned air would work for me though. :yay:

Last edited:
I love Spaceballs. I actually need an air filter because I live with 4 cats, including one who lives in the bedroom (he will not leave it due to his ongoing feud with another cat) so cat hair, dander, litter, etc is a problem on top of the normal indoor air quality issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"