• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hooters Wants to reimburse FEMA

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
I like this
This shows some class...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Hooters restaurant chain has a $200 check ready for FEMA, reimbursement for a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne bought with hurricane relief money last year.

FEMA will be happy to have the money back.

The champagne, purchased in San Antonio, Texas, was among numerous examples of improper spending of relief money for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita cited earlier this week by the Government Accountability Office.

The GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, found at least $1 billion in disaster relief payments by the Federal Emergency Management Agency were improper and potentially fraudulent because the recipients provided incomplete or incorrect information when they registered for assistance. (GAO report)

Besides the bottle of champagne, the GAO uncovered records showing $1,000 from a FEMA debit card went to a Houston, Texas, divorce lawyer, $600 was spent in a strip club, and $400 bought "adult erotica products," all of which auditors concluded were "not necessary to satisfy legitimate disaster needs." (Full story)

"It bothers me as an American that resources that were intended to help victims of this tremendous tragedy were spent this way," said Hooters Chairman Bob Brooks, referring to the champagne from Hooters.

"Even if it's in my restaurants, it's still not right. If FEMA will let me know where to send the check I'll get the $200 out right away," Brooks said in an announcement from Atlanta, Georgia.

FEMA spokesman Aaron Walker responded, "We will more than welcome the check from Hooters and appreciate their recognition in helping true disaster victims."

Following Katrina, Brooks sent one of his Hooters Air 737s loaded with supplies into the Gulf Coast disaster area.

The restaurant chain also donated $225,000 to the Red Cross Katrina relief fund.

"Classy" isn't usually a word I associate with Hooters, but I'll gladly make that association for this. :up:

jag

Malice said:
I like this
This shows some class...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Hooters restaurant chain has a $200 check ready for FEMA, reimbursement for a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne bought with hurricane relief money last year.

FEMA will be happy to have the money back.

The champagne, purchased in San Antonio, Texas, was among numerous examples of improper spending of relief money for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita cited earlier this week by the Government Accountability Office.

The GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, found at least $1 billion in disaster relief payments by the Federal Emergency Management Agency were improper and potentially fraudulent because the recipients provided incomplete or incorrect information when they registered for assistance. (GAO report)

Besides the bottle of champagne, the GAO uncovered records showing $1,000 from a FEMA debit card went to a Houston, Texas, divorce lawyer, $600 was spent in a strip club, and $400 bought "adult erotica products," all of which auditors concluded were "not necessary to satisfy legitimate disaster needs." (Full story)

"It bothers me as an American that resources that were intended to help victims of this tremendous tragedy were spent this way," said Hooters Chairman Bob Brooks, referring to the champagne from Hooters.

"Even if it's in my restaurants, it's still not right. If FEMA will let me know where to send the check I'll get the $200 out right away," Brooks said in an announcement from Atlanta, Georgia.

FEMA spokesman Aaron Walker responded, "We will more than welcome the check from Hooters and appreciate their recognition in helping true disaster victims."

Following Katrina, Brooks sent one of his Hooters Air 737s loaded with supplies into the Gulf Coast disaster area.

The restaurant chain also donated $225,000 to the Red Cross Katrina relief fund.

WELL, I SUPPOSE IT'S A NICE GESTURE........BUT YOU HAVE TO WONDER WHAT ELSE WENT UNACCOUNTED FOR. I'D VENTURE A GUESS THAT AT LEAST ONE BOOB JOB WAS PAID FOR WITH FEMA MONEY. :O

I simply hope it wasnt motivated by publicity...
I mean come one, the $200 they spend sending back to FEMA, is proably 1000 times less than the good press they will get because of it.

Malice said:
I simply hope it wasnt motivated by publicity...
I mean come one, the $200 they spend sending back to FEMA, is proably 1000 times less than the good press they will get because of it.

ALL corporate philanthropy is motivated by two things: the tax write-offs and the positive publicity. Period.

jag

So was this Carmen's idea??? Some one should ask GR87...:D

Ronny Shade said:
Damn. S79 beat me to the GR joke. :down

Oh, c'mon there's always room for a good GR joke...go ahead and say it...

I didn't even have one. I was just gonna roll on the novelty of being the first person to mention him in this thread :(

the thing i find funniest about this story is that hooter's actually sell's dom perignon.

THWIP* said:
WELL, I SUPPOSE IT'S A NICE GESTURE........BUT YOU HAVE TO WONDER WHAT ELSE WENT UNACCOUNTED FOR. I'D VENTURE A GUESS THAT AT LEAST ONE BOOB JOB WAS PAID FOR WITH FEMA MONEY. :O

someone did use FEMA money to pay for a sex change and buy beer, hooters and expensive clothes

Did not know that. Nicely done, Hooters. Nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"