Hoth - Hot or cold ?

ColKel

Civilian
Reaction score
The other night while I was watching the Empire Strikes Back for the millionth time I suddenly realized something. When General Veers comes into Darth Vader's chamber he reports that "comscan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system". As far as I know planetary systems are named after the star the planets orbit. Just like we are on the third planet of the solar system where our sun's name is "Sol", hence "Solar system". If the planet's name is Hoth why not just say "comscan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the Hoth system". Also, why refer to a planet as a system? Could Hoth be the name of the planetary system's star instaed of the ice planet the rebels are hiding on?

The other night while I was watching the Empire Strikes Back for the millionth time I suddenly realized something. When General Veers comes into Darth Vader's chamber he reports that "comscan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system". As far as I know planetary systems are named after the star the planets orbit. Just like we are on the third planet of the solar system where our sun's name is "Sol", hence "Solar system". If the planet's name is Hoth why not just say "comscan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the Hoth system". Also, why refer to a planet as a system? Could Hoth be the name of the planetary system's star instaed of the ice planet the rebels are hiding on?

Star Wars isn't Star Trek, it's about the adventure not the science. That's why you get meaningless ranks given to every main character, even Moff Jerrerrod where's his imperial badges on the wrong side of his shirt in Jedi. It's stuff they don't explore or care to explore, just dialogue they use to help create a futuristic atmosphere. Just like everyone says Endor when the Emperor calls it "Endor's Sanctuary Moon".

Taken from Wookieepedia:

The Hoth system was a remote star system located on the fringe of the Ivax Nebula in the Anoat sector of the Greater Javin, along the Ison Trade Corridor at the edge of the Outer Rim Territories.[source?] The Hoth system was the one-time location of the Alliance to Restore the Republic's Echo Base; and in 3 ABY, the Battle of Hoth, a crushing defeat of the Rebellion by the Galactic Empire, led by Darth Vader.[2]

The system comprised six planets, including a wide and chaotic asteroid belt at the farthest orbit. Debris from this belt caused substantial meteorite activity on the planet of Hoth.[2]

>>And its very cold there.

IT's kind of like Endor. It is referred to as the Battle of Endor, but the shield generator is on the forest moon of Endor, which I always took to mean the forest moon is the moon of the planet Endor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"