I need a new anime to get hooked on

The Avatar

Sidekick
Reaction score
Death Note and Code Geass had me addicted, now I'm looking for another one. I want a show that is heavily serialized, features intelligent protagonists against intelligent antagonists, has lots of clever plot twists, character development, and story plotting must be at the forefront. Anything that has a similar feel to DN & GC.

(Please do not recommend Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist)

Monster is pretty good. The complete series should still be up on youtube. Maybe Case Closed too if you're a Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie fan.

[A];17247617 said:
Why..? You don't like those..? Or seen 'em already..?
I've seen many 'anime recommendation' threads on various boards and those always come up, I've either seen them already or I'm familiar enough to know they're not want I'm looking for.

You might find Ghost Hunt good. My friend likes it. I would recommend Monster for the plot twists. I love that anime.

It's an older anime. Like 70ish episodes or something. A doctor is seeks a former patient because of fear he is to blame for recent murders. A top 3 anime for me.

What's Monster about?

I want a show that is heavily serialized, features intelligent protagonists against intelligent antagonists, has lots of clever plot twists, character development, and story plotting must be at the forefront.

It has all this.

It has all this.
Well that's just perfect then :woot:

Are there any other shows like that?

I made this same thread on another forum and they've recommended Fighting Spirit, Samurai X and Gankutsuou. Anybody know about those?

Gurren Lagann. I loved that show when it was on Sci-fi Ani-Monday. It's not a very long series (I think around 40 eps, maybe more or less.) The artwork is kinda odd, but you get use to it.

I enjoyed Death Note and Code Geass too. Those are actually my favorite animes :D

...Wow. I totally misread his post. I'd like to apologize for that. :wow:

I have no other recommendations, though. Sorry for my non-help. :csad:

Katekyo Hitman, Reborn!

Not what you're looking for per se, since it looks like you're not really into the mainstream shounen titles.

But, it's a great series, no they less.

Yes I need a new anime to be hooked on as well any suggestions?

All that was listed above, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for good comedy/sci-fi stories. Avatar the Last Airbender may not originate from Japan, but it's also damn great.

Try out Gundam Wing or Robo Tech if you like mecha stuff. One Pice for action and funny. Keroro Gun Show for just funny. Shin Chan for funny. Ghost in a Shell for epic. One of those should work.

I've watched Monster and Ghost in the Shell since I made this thread, any other recommendations?

@TheAvatar These are kind of familiar, but...

Basilisk (a seriously f***ked up Romeo and Juliet story set in 17th century Japan) isn't new, but it has some of the qualities you may be looking for, as does Samurai 7, a steampunkish adaption of the Kurosawa film--better than it sounds. Some others that come to mind: Solty Rei (an amnesiac android is adopted by a bounty hunter and together they fight against the faceless corporations controlling their future world), Battle Angel Alitia (OVA of the Manga, sort of similar to Code Geass), AIKa R16: Virgin Mission (prequel to the Agent Aika series, an agent/assassin delves into the disappearance of a girl who may have witnessed a crime no one wants solved), Speed Grapher (think Eyes Wide Shut meets Code Geass), 009-1 (an alternate universe where the Cold War is still going on), and Darker Than Black, (the sudden appearance of a mysterious energy field over Tokyo brings with it the appearance of people with supernatural powers called Contractors).

yes gundam wing, its the only gundam show i like.
samurai champloo - is made by same guy who did cowboy bebop, set in edo period of japan, about samurais.
rurouni kenshin - is another samurai show.
samurai deeper kyo - samurai show mixed with demons
ronin warriors - about guys with magical armor fighting other guys with magical armor, mostly japanese armor.
record of the lodoss war - was a rpg game like dnd from japan made into a short series, like 3 separate series, though ive only seen the first series. kinda like those old lotr cartoon movies and it has cool animation.
moribito guardian of the spirit - has a female lead that kicks ass
street fighter II V - a very good street fighter show lots of good fights. not that old usa cartoon this is a more realistic take on street fighter. ken and ryo travel from place to place looking for new techniques and challenges.
macross plus is like a four episode ova.
if you're interested in any of these i suggest looking on youtube for trailers to these shows see if they are what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"