"If Asteroid heading to Earth, Pray" says Nasa

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
LINK

This was a bit of a jarring news headline on Yahoo this morning. After reading through it, I realized that it's a bit of fluff headlining to draw eyes, but there is one thing that's sorta caught my eye. A quote from the article:

"From the information we have, we don't know of an asteroid that will threaten the population of the United States," Bolden said. "But if it's coming in three weeks, pray."

Does that not come across as someone unofficially trying to drop a hint? It's certainly worded oddly. Most likely, it's all about nothing and we can move on with our wonderful fleshy lives, but I'll admit to that quote making me pause a moment.

Thanks for the heart attack. What a misleading header. You make it sound like an asteroid is on an imminent collision course. You (or a mod) should edit the title to include "if". Just because Yahoo was irresponsible you don't have to copy them.

That's why I put it in quotes. But if a mod wants to edit it, fine by me.

Jesus Christ, you just gave me a heart attack JewHob...

"And a quote from a NASA official is "WE'RE ****ED!", when asked for clarification he ran screaming from the room"

Fluff is one way to put it. Shamelessly sensational and downright irresponsible is another way.

Yeah, you guys are reacting about the same way I did when I saw the headline. Now you can enjoy the rest of your day with a smile. The worst part of your day is over.

You're welcome. :) :up:

The best thing about Yahoo news stories is the comments. I really like this one.

"If it's headed for New York, then Mayor Bloomberg could just ban asteroids, and we would all be saved."

But only about 10 percent of an estimated 10,000 potential "city-killer" asteroids, those with a diameter of about 165 feet have been found, Holdren added.

On average, objects of that size are estimated to hit Earth about once every 1,000 years.

To be honest, its scary business but I think we aren't looking at anything species ending in our lifetime.

But only about 10 percent of an estimated 10,000 potential "city-killer" asteroids, those with a diameter of about 165 feet have been found, Holdren added.

On average, objects of that size are estimated to hit Earth about once every 1,000 years.

To be honest, its scary business but I think we aren't looking at anything species ending in our lifetime.

Considering the countless generations of people who have lived unmolested by killer-asteroids the last three million years, the chances the "big one" would come in our lifetime is about 0.000000000000000000001% or something (obviously not scientific, but it'd be in that ballpark). Of course, since death from a killer asteroid would be so absolute and total, it scares us even though the chance is so remote.

Good god I panicked so hard for a minute there. Thanks guy.

So three weeks huh...

Well, it did say it's not on a collision course with the United States. Everybody else on the planet is just **** out of luck. :o

Well, it did say it's not on a collision course with the United States. Everybody else on the planet is just **** out of luck. :o

3runcd.jpg

Thank you for the near heart attack so early in the day.

I like how you can tell the east coast read this first based on the comments.

All right, who do I punch for scaring me? I'm gonna find you bub, and I'm gonna...!!!!

Just jk... actually knew it was going to be false.

So, no one else called BS before reading the article?

So, no one else called BS before reading the article?
I did.

It takes more than an asteroid heading towards earth to scare me anyways, so the headline didnt even worry me :word: :hehe:

Glad, I'm not the only one who didn't get all freaked out. Frankly, I'd welcome it. The human race had a good run. It's time for the next step in evolution to become the dominate species on a dead planet.

Glad, I'm not the only one who didn't get all freaked out. Frankly, I'd welcome it. The human race had a good run. It's time for the next step in evolution to become the dominate species on a dead planet.

Thank you Mr. Sunshine. :oldrazz:

Major hits like the recent one in Russia seem to only happen every 100 or so years. The major uber-busters like caused the K-T Event seem to only happen in intervals of millions of years. Anyone alive currently will most likely be dead before the next significant asteroid impact.

I like how NASA has no safeguards in play whatsoever except the Lord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"