Comics If Marvel came out with an Untold Tales/All Star type Spider-Man series...

Spider-Kurt!

Civilian
Reaction score
What creative team would you want?
Which era would it focus on?
What characters/supporting cast?
What villians?

I know that the Ultimate series might fall in that category but if not...give me your ideas!

Personally I'd love Roger Stern to new create stories from his classic run from the 80's. That's my all time favorite era of Spider-Man.

Supporting charcters-J Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Aunt May,Nathan (I forgets May's boyfriend's last name)Betty Brant, Ned Leeds, Deb Whitman,Black Cat and whomever else were regulars at the time.

Villians-As much as I love the Hobgoblin run, I don't want anything added to it. I'll stick with classics like Dr.Octopus, the Sandman, Electro, Kingpin and even other heavyweights like the Hulk.

I'd say John Romita as the artist and as the writer I'll agree and say Roger Stern. He was really good, and I'd like for it to take place around the 80's era. I'll second your ideas for the supporting cast also, those are pretty good. I'd say some good stories with Electro and Sandman would be a must.

Yessir! I'd also love to have a team up with the X-Men (Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops,Colosius and who ever else was on the team then), Daredevil, Dr.Strange and would love to see Spider-Man take on the seemingly unstopable Ultron. Stern always had great battles between Spider-Man and villians that seemed to outclass him like Juggernaught and Mr.Hyde.

As for JR jr, I actually prefered his art style better then than I do now.

My creative team would be, if it were an "All Star" series, Grant Morrison on writing and David Finch on art. Finch because of his odd sense of throw-back to the Ditko / Romita era with the smaller eyes on the mask (oh, and everything else the man's capable of), and Morrison because the man really knows how to craft a great tale, imbue character into his story, write convincing, intelligent dialogue, and have it all work together and mean something. Also, I'm unsure if Morrison's ever written a Spider-Man book, and I'd love to see his take.

It would encompass Amazing Spider-Man issues 1 - 122, ending with the death of Gwen Stacey and Norman Osborn. Of course the team has full control over continuity, story, character, etc., but under the framework of the original run through those issues. Sort of like a Chapter 1, only totally out of continuity and not completely horrific.

The villains, characters and supporting cast could only come from the existing source material between those 122 issues. Other than that, free reign.

Personally, I just would love to see that team show us the introductions of everything that brought Spider-Man / Peter Parker into what would ultimately become the status quo of his entire life. The ending story, for me at least, is the culmination of all the inadvertant and intentional themes and messages that have been laid throughout the series up until that point. We also have it taken quite a few degrees further, as we watch Peter Parker lose his innocence for a second time. In the beginning (which I think would be interesting to be left completely intact, hence its non-inclusion from the framework), Peter Parker learns that because of lack of responsibility and an inflated selfishness, people die. He learns it hard because of how close it comes to home. As a result, he becomes Spider-Man, trying to attone for his greatest failure. With the death of Gwen Stacey, he suddenly finds out life is a lot more complicated than just doing the right thing. Here, his fundamentals are challenged when he finds that, in spite of doing the right thing and putting others before himself by being Spider-Man, people close to him still die. He learns that there may not be a true, universal sense of justice, and in spite of this he continues. I think it's a great lesson and something that would be a boon to the "All Star" lineup, were it to take place in the Marvel group.

By the way, Kurt, Aunt May's boyfriend's last name was Lubensky. Nathan Lubensky.

Spider-Kurt! said:
As for JR jr, I actually prefered his art style better then than I do now.
I was thinking JR SR, although I'm not sure how old he is to be honest, or if he'd be in any shape to draw a monthly book still.

225px-Untoldtales1.jpg

Untold Tales of Spider-Man

Untoldtales1.jpg
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1. Art by Pat Olliffe.
Publisher Marvel Comics
Schedule monthly
Format ongoing
Publication dates Sept. 1995 - Oct. 1997
Main character(s) Spider-Man
Creative team
Writer(s) Kurt Busiek
Penciller(s) Pat Olliffe
Inker(s) Al Vey
Al Williamson
Colourist(s) Steve Mattsson
Creator(s) Stan Lee
Steve Ditko

Untold Tales of Spider-Man is the name of a comic book series starring Spider-Man published by Marvel Comics for 26 issues (#1-25, and a #Minus 1 between #s 22 and 23) from September, 1995 to October, 1997.

The comic was part of an experiment for Marvel where they published a number of new titles for only 99 cents, in the hope that they would attract new, young readers who might have been put off by the then US$1.50/1.95 standard prices for comic books. Uniquely among those titles, Untold Tales' stories were retcons; they presented new stories set in Spider-Man's early super-hero career.

The series was primarily written by Kurt Busiek and pencilled by Pat Olliffe, though Roger Stern, Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz also contributed. Tom Brevoort was the editor of the title throughout its run. The critical and fan approval of the comic boosted Brevoort and Busiek's career and by the time the series had finished both had achieved key positions on the bestselling Heroes Return titles Avengers and Iron Man.

The Series
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #6, featuring Spider-Man and the Human Torch. Art by Pat Olliffe.
Enlarge
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #6, featuring Spider-Man and the Human Torch. Art by Pat Olliffe.

Each issue of Untold Tales of Spider-Man featured a single self contained story, though the book did have broad character arcs and subplots which developed throughout the series.

The title kept to a strong continuity, with the events in each issue taking place between specific stories from the first two years of The Amazing Spider-Man by Steve Ditko and Stan Lee. As those stories were originally told in the early 1960s the title had a somewhat retro style in its depiction of the world around Spider-Man.

The series spotlighted Spider-Man's early interactions with established characters such as J. Jonah Jameson, the Human Torch, Betty Brant, Mary Jane Watson, the Vulture, Sandman and the Green Goblin. It also introduced a number of new characters into the Spider-man mythos, including The Scorcher, Bat-Wing, the Space-Men, Commanda and the Headsman. Of those listed only the Scorcher has been properly acknowledged in modern continuity.
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #-1 featuring Richard and Mary Parker. Art by John Romita, Sr..
Enlarge
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #-1 featuring Richard and Mary Parker. Art by John Romita, Sr..

One of the apparently "new" characters, Sally Avril (Bluebird), actually originally appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15, where she is called just "Sally". Busiek and Olliffe took the briefly referenced character, who had not appeared again after Amazing Fantasy #15, and developed her into one of the main supporting players in Untold Tales.

During Marvel's "Flashback" stunt in July, 1997, when for one month all Marvel titles were numbered -1 and each was meant to be set before Fantastic Four #1, the title went even further back to tell a James Bond influenced story which involved Peter Parker's parents on an espionage mission before the character was even born.

Spin-Offs
Cover to Amazing Fantasy #16. Art by Paul Lee.
Enlarge
Cover to Amazing Fantasy #16. Art by Paul Lee.

The immediate initial good response to the series led to a number of spin-offs and companion projects. First came Amazing Fantasy #16-18, (December, 1995 - March, 1996) which had been begun prior to the publication of Untold Tales, but which followed a similar concept; it continued the numbering of the series which had ended with Spider-Man's introduction in #15. The book, which was presented in the Marvels-style with acetate covers and slick paper, featured stories set between Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-man #1, just after Spider-Man's very first adventure. It featured painted art by Paul Lee.

There was also Untold Tales of Spider-Man: Strange Encounters (1998) plotted by Busiek, scripted by Roger Stern, pencilled by Neil Vokes and published in Marvel's bound "Prestige Format". The story depicted Spider-Man's first meeting with Doctor Strange.

Finally, there were two Annuals for the series. The first of these, Untold Tales of Spider-Man '96 (1996) is notable for featuring a plot suggested by Batman: The Animated Series' Paul Dini, written by Busiek and drawn by Mike Allred in which Spider-Man goes on a date with the Invisible Girl. The second annual, Untold Tales of Spider-Man '97 (1997), by Busiek and artist Tom Lyle, features a story which was continued in that year's The Amazing Spider-Man '97 Annual which was set 10 years later in the modern continuity.

Continuity Status?

Due to its retcon nature and the lack of consistent acknowledgements in modern stories that the events portrayed in the series actually occurred, Untold Tales' status as official Spider-Man canon is somewhat in doubt.
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #14, featuring The Scorcher. Art by Pat Oliffe.
Enlarge
Cover to Untold Tales of Spider-Man #14, featuring The Scorcher. Art by Pat Oliffe.

The single biggest factor which supports its inclusion as bona fide continuity is the character of the Scorcher; introduced in Untold Tales #1 he has gone on to appear in the Spider-Man Holiday Special 1995, Thunderbolts (1999) and most recently Secret War (2005), all of which are modern stories set in contemporary continuity. Also the previously mentioned crossover between the Untold Tales of Spider-Man '97 and The Amazing Spider-Man '97 Annuals supports this case.

But there are problems with the titles' inclusion as canon. Specifically no mention as been made, aside from the brief examples mentioned above, in Spider-Man's 40+ year publication history of most of the characters introduced in the series. This becomes most problematic with respect to the supporting characters the series introduced - Sally, Jason and Tiny, as well as a supporting character's death which affected Spider-Man dramatically in the series. These would normally be expected to have been referenced occasionally in the modern stories if they had occurred to the character, but were not for many years. (The death in question was briefly addressed in Marvel Knights Spider-Man #9, in 2005.)

However, these elements are not the only ones from Spider-Man's long history which have not been referenced again. For example, Ben Reilly, a character who was the focus of many Spider-Man stories in the mid-1990s during the Clone Saga has only very rarely been referenced since his death in the comics despite his closeness to Peter and unquestionable canonical status.

Ultimately, Untold Tales of Spider-Man was popular with many long time readers, and there has been very little negative fan sentiment directed towards it, making its presumptive canonical status generally uncontroversial.

uh...we already have this...it's called Ultimate Spider-Man...it's what DC's All-Star line is a giant rip off of...

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:
225px-Untoldtales1.jpg

Untold Tales of Spider-Man

Ultimately, Untold Tales of Spider-Man was popular with many long time readers, and there has been very little negative fan sentiment directed towards it, making its presumptive canonical status generally uncontroversial.

Aloha,
You bring up a great idea.Since UTSM ended with #25 which within Amazing Spider-Man continuity was just before ASM #25-I'd love to have the new series start off where it ended.Unlike Ultimate which was ALWAYS designed to be a retelling of Amazing Spider-Man stories, UTSM actually added depth to established ASM continuity. I'd stick with Busiek. Stern would be outstanding.To show you how things are working these days. Within the framework of ASM continuity-UTSM raised the bar beyond ANY other volume to come out since.UTSM was a 99 cents comic. It had very little cash value to Marvel but it had tremendous story value to fans.This is where the roads have to come together.Any reincarnation of UTSM must be placed HIGH on Marvels promotion. Fans will easily spend the money on quality writing and art that adds to the mythos.
Spidey rules

why not an untold tales series abou ANOTHER MARVEL HERO?

Because fans desperately want to read new stories of a Spider-Man not spoiled by organic webshooters, Iron Man armor, public unmasking...

The Joker said:
uh...we already have this...it's called Ultimate Spider-Man...it's what DC's All-Star line is a giant rip off of...

This was my initial thought as well.

Still, my love for Untold Tales would force me to buy it. However, I'd want Busiek back on the title. The only other writer I'd except would be Dan Slott.

Those two have written such great tales in between the gaps of Spidey continuity that it would feel unfair to give anyone else the gig.

Art teams could rotate with each arc, that would be fine with me. No "flavor of the month" artists though. No one who can't keep a monthly schedule at all.

That's why DC's All Star line is falling behind. Sure, AS Superman rocks...but AS B&R sucks giant monkey-balls.

Cyclops said:
Because fans desperately want to read new stories of a Spider-Man not spoiled by organic webshooters, Iron Man armor, public unmasking...

*sniffle*

I....I can't remember that long ago...it feels like a lifetime ago.

Cyclops said:
thats true but i think an ubtold tales book about another hero AS WELL as spidey is a good idea:spidey:

tom123 said:
I was thinking JR SR, although I'm not sure how old he is to be honest, or if he'd be in any shape to draw a monthly book still.
That would be cool!

The Joker said:
:whatever: (sigh) Kids!

As I pointed out in the initial thread, this is for those who might want something other than the Ultimate series. Maybe it could be placed in a different era than Peter's high school days. Maybe some people might want to see stories featuring the 616 versions of the Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Venom, Carnage or whomever. Not everybody is gonna want the same thing.

shinlyle said:

Still, my love for Untold Tales would force me to buy it. However, I'd want Busiek back on the title. The only other writer I'd except would be Dan Slott.

Those two have written such great tales in between the gaps of Spidey continuity that it would feel unfair to give anyone else the gig.

Art teams could rotate with each arc, that would be fine with me. No "flavor of the month" artists though. No one who can't keep a monthly schedule at all.

That's why DC's All Star line is falling behind. Sure, AS Superman rocks...but AS B&R sucks giant monkey-balls.
You got it!

shinlyle said:

AS B&R is great, I dont care what anyone says...it's just over the top and insane enough to be hella entertaining :o

The Joker said:
AS B&R is great, I dont care what anyone says...it's just over the top and insane enough to be hella entertaining :o

Also, it only has one issue out a year, so it's a cheap guilty pleasure :D

I just can't get into a Batman who comes across like a stereotypical wife-beater from one of those crappy Lifetime movies. I dropped it after issue 2 (like half the readership did) because I was afraid issue 3 would feature Batman slapping Alfred asking "Where's mah dinner, b****?!"

Still, to each his own...

shinlyle said:
*sniffle*

I....I can't remember that long ago...it feels like a lifetime ago.

Sigh, sad that it was YEARS ago since we had that now.

Stan Lee still writes classic Spidey every day! Right now he's fighting Dr. Octopus in Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"