In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

ALLL THE GARLIC!
giphy.gif

Dracula does not like that.

Don't like the tomatoes much as it gives it a sweeter taste I'm not personally overly fond of.....though I confess it's still really good.

Still don't get why you don't like sugar...

I'm traumatized now.

Why would you people give TWO EXTREMELY different meanings to the same word?!?!?

I'm sooooooooo sorry my dear. I would never intentionally cause you mental distress. What people call one thing or another changes over time. @DKDetective is absolutely correct about how "real" aioli is made. That being said, a mayo mixture is also called such; even in restaurants and recipes (check the internet).

I'm sooooooooo sorry my dear. I would never intentionally cause you mental distress. What people call one thing or another changes over time

I think you did that on purpose. Not to me. But on purpose.

Ya nasty!

So we are doing a casual Bistro-style dinner tonight to make use of what we have around. I'm going to make Steak Frites to use up the russet potatoes and herbs from last week.

I also accidentally bought some frozen peeled (instead of unpeeled as intended) Argentinian Pink Shrimp aka Patagonian Red Shrimp*, when I made them for New Year's Eve. So I was think of making a homemade fresh shrimp cocktail to start with homemade seafood sauce. Shrimp and other seafood are typically poached in court bouillon (broth made with fresh aromatic vegetables and some white wine) for such recipes. I have some prepackaged organic vegetable broth in the pantry.... Would it be horrible if I cheated and added some white wine to that instead of making a court bouillon from scratch?

I checked the ingredients for the organic vegetable broth and it's basically the same as for the one classic court bouillon recipe I have.

* @MissMarvelous87, really enjoying this stuff as a sustainable shrimp option. The flesh and flavour reminds of lobster. Bought it because the recipe I made on New Year's was for Crayfish, but none were available, so as per recipe, large shrimp were an allowed substitute.

@DKDetective needless to say that you're getting pics for us. And save some too!!!

Good for those shrimps!!! I was thinking about having some during the week. But something very simple, just with breadcrumbs and a tasty mayo.

So we are doing a casual Bistro-style dinner tonight to make use of what we have around. I'm going to make Steak Frites to use up the russet potatoes and herbs from last week.

I also accidentally bought some frozen peeled (instead of unpeeled as intended) Argentinian Pink Shrimp aka Patagonian Red Shrimp*, when I made them for New Year's Eve. So I was think of making a homemade fresh shrimp cocktail to start with homemade seafood sauce. Shrimp and other seafood are typically poached in court bouillon (broth made with fresh aromatic vegetables and some white wine) for such recipes. I have some prepackaged organic vegetable broth in the pantry.... Would it be horrible if I cheated and added some white wine to that instead of making a court bouillon from scratch?

I checked the ingredients for the organic vegetable broth and it's basically the same as for the one classic court bouillon recipe I have.

* @MissMarvelous87, really enjoying this stuff as a sustainable shrimp option. The flesh and flavour reminds of lobster. Bought it because the recipe I made on New Year's was for Crayfish, but none were available, so as per recipe, large shrimp were an allowed substitute.

As long as the grandmas aren't rolling over in their graves, I think you're good. Love shrimp cocktails. One of my favorites, but what kind of drinks do you serve with it? I've tried various drinks and wines, but it's a rather hard pairing. Dontcha think? Depending on the sauce. I like a little horseradish and put slice avocado in also. What do you put in your sauce?

Oh yeah.....a little off topic, but I thought I'd throw in what I make for my dogs. They get vegetable, fruit, and meat kibbles (no grains). I Fry up a small piece of salmon at dinner time, chop it up and split it amongst them. The vet says salmon is really good for their immune system (omega 3) and I was giving them cod liver oil pills, but my wife says it gives them bad breath. I also mix in sliced melons (water, cantaloupe, honey dew). It's high in fiber and they love it. Poodles can be a little picky, but they love their fresh fruit and it encourages them to eat. Good for their, uh, digestion.....my backyard is in a constant state of, uh, maintenance.

I know kibbles, salmon and melon sounds pretty unappetizing, but dogs don't generally worry much about pairing....LOL

For the sauce, just classic homemade seafood sauce - organic ketchup, lemon juice, and freshly grated horseradish. Keeping it old school.

In terms of drink pairing, we will just be opening a bottle of red Chateauneauf-du-Pape to go with the steak frites. But the ultimate pairing for shrimp cocktail is a classic Canadian cocktail called a Bloody Caesar. It's kinda similar to a Bloody Mary... vodka, clamato juice, hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, with a celery salt rim and garnished with a celery stalk and a lime wedge. I highly recommend it. It's awesome and given your taste for spicy things I think you would love it.

For the sauce, just classic homemade seafood sauce - organic ketchup, lemon juice, and freshly grated horseradish. Keeping it old school.

In terms of drink pairing, we will just be opening a bottle of red Chateauneauf-du-Pape to go with the steak frites. But the ultimate pairing for shrimp cocktail is a classic Canadian cocktail called a Bloody Caesar. It's kinda similar to a Bloody Mary... vodka, clamato juice, hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, with a celery salt rim and garnished with a celery stalk and a lime wedge. I highly recommend it. It's awesome and given your taste for spicy things I think you would love it.

I've had it many times and completely agree. My father and I made.....many.......of these when he was alive. Good times. We'd hang out in our chairs in his living room, watch sports, talk about what was happening in my union, and complain about republicans. :funny: I haven't had one for years, but am going to pick up some clamato next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the reminder. It brings back a lot of good memories. :D Of all the drinks, I was considering, a Bloody Mary works best. Certain dry whites work okay, but they can get overpowered by the cocktail sauce. I've tried margaritas too.

I've had it many times and completely agree. My father and I made.....many.......of these when he was alive. Good times. We'd hang out in our chairs in his living room, watch sports, talk about what was happening in my union, and complain about republicans. :funny: I haven't had one for years, but am going to pick up some clamato next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the reminder. It brings back a lot of good memories. :D Of all the drinks, I was considering, a Bloody Mary works best. Certain dry whites work okay, but they can get overpowered by the cocktail sauce. I've tried margaritas too.

Wow, I'm shocked you are familiar with Caesars, not many Americans are in my experience (even the all-knowing Alton Brown made a dismissive reference to them as some weird Canadian Bloody Mary on the cocktail on his cocktail episode of Good Eats.) :funny:

Happy it brought up good memories. I associate them with my Dad as well. He would always have a Caesar bar going at big family Christmases, making them for guests before dinner (when my Mom would usually also have shrimp cocktails out as finger food). :yay:

Wow, I'm shocked you are familiar with Caesars, not many Americans are in my experience (even the all-knowing Alton Brown made a dismissive reference to them as some weird Canadian Bloody Mary on the cocktail on his cocktail episode of Good Eats.) :funny:

Happy it brought up good memories. I associate them with my Dad as well. He would always have a Caesar bar going at big family Christmases, making them for guests before dinner (when my Mom would usually also have shrimp cocktails out as finger food). :yay:

Makes me want to move back to Santa Cruz, have a big party, put a bunch of shrimp on ice, and have a do-it-yourself cocktail sauce array.......AND a BUNCH of clamato juice.

@MissMarvelous87 I got an email from The Wine House about a Zolo sauvignon blanc. What do you know about this winery? It got 91 points (though I take those with the figurative grain of salt because salt and wine don't mix well).

I had huevos rancheros and mimosas for brunch (huevo ranchero??? I only had one. The mimosas can remain plural. LOL)

[B][I]@MissMarvelous87[/I][/B] I got an email from The Wine House about a Zolo sauvignon blanc. What do you know about this winery? It got 91 points (though I take those with the figurative grain of salt because salt and wine don't mix well).

I had huevos rancheros and mimosas for brunch (huevo ranchero??? I only had one. The mimosas can remain plural. LOL)

I can say that a long time ago Zolo used to be the go-to of my friend's Dad, who is a reasonable wine lover. But that was their reds. I defer to our Argentine friend beyond that.

Who was the review from? I find Wine Spectator, Decanter, and James Suckling to be usually pretty spot on in their scores. Reviews from lesser publications like Wine Enthusiast, Vinous, etc. I agree are much less reliable.

I can say that a long time ago Zolo used to be the go-to of my friend's Dad, who is a reasonable wine lover. But that was their reds. I defer to our Argentine friend beyond that.

Who was the review from? I find Wine Spectator, Decanter, and James Suckling to be usually pretty spot on in their scores. Reviews from lesser publications like Wine Enthusiast, Vinous, etc. I agree are much less reliable.
Suckling. $10. My kind of wine. lol. I think I’ll buy a couple of bottles since Missy has been too busy to give me any recommendations.

Suckling. $10. My kind of wine. lol. I think I’ll buy a couple of bottles since Missy has been too busy to give me any recommendations.

Oh, sassy!

Well, unfortunately I have no idea about that winery! Does it look like this?

upload_2021-4-11_21-17-17.png

I have googled it and (should it be that one) it's defined as a "cult wine" or "fine wine" and by its price... It should be one heck of a wine.

Haven't found anything else about it.

And yes, I've been busy: I've adopted a dog. My cousin blindsided me and I just had to say "ok, I'll take him".

What kind of doggy? Pics?

Pugsley Addams.

That would have worked! But only for me, not the rest of the family (you know... Pronunciation issues that will lead to calling him any name but his! I think you can relate). Still not sure but it does sounds nice: Zazu, from the Lion King.

That would have worked! But only for me, not the rest of the family (you know... Pronunciation issues that will lead to calling him any name but his! I think you can relate). Still not sure but it does sounds nice: Zazu, from the Lion King.
He’s oh so very cute. My dogs names evolved.

Do you have a yard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"