Iowa Parents Defend Bullying of Teen With Aspergers Syndrome

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.png

Iowa teen Levi Null, 13, struggles with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD. He's always been picked on, but recently the bullies began ramping up their behavior: they started making videos of Null at school—some of them videos of his involuntary movements caused by Asperger's—and then posting them online with school computers.
According to Null's mother, the videos showed students hitting Null, smacking him, and teasing him all while the teachers are shown turning away. On Monday, Josh Ehn, principal of Melcher-Dallas High School, told WHOTV that the video was taken offline, destroyed, and all those involved were disciplined.
But the parents of the kids involved in the video are now standing up for their kids. The father of the teen who uploaded the video, Levi Weatherly, says Null is asking for it. "I would say three-fourths of this stuff he brings on himself and and probably a fourth of it is bullying that shouldn't be going on," Weatherly said.
Since airing the news story on Monday, the news station has received over 100 comments— not in support of Null and his family—but in support of the bullies. Most of the comments blame Null for his disabilities:
Jamie Harrison wrote: "He called my nephew a nasty name and my nephew Cole cocked (sic) him in the mouth. I`m proud of my nephew for doing that."
Nate Goof wrote: "This kid has done things to get people mad that I think he could probably control."
The principal ultimately ruled that the video did not even "meet the criteria" for bullying and the school board President, Bob Lepley, says he stands by the principal's decision.
Now, because of the backlash, Null is afraid to go to school. However, his mother also notes that at least two students have come forward to apologize for their behavior, saying they didn't know how much it impacted Null.

All I can say is wow....

Eh. The jackass father and his supporters are actually saying what most Americans just think: that the victims of bullying are at least partially bringing it on themselves for being weak and different. A lot of people silently believe that bullying is a form of social Darwinism, allowing the best of the best to exert power over the undeserving.

I'm sorry but after hearing about all of this bullying, and all the widespread media coverage it gets I have to reflect on my own childhood. Is this any different from when you were a kid? This stuff has happened since the beginning of time.

Its a sad but true fact, the strong eat the weak. It's nature.

Murder has gone on since the beginning of time. It's sad but it's nature. This justification also means I'm free to rape, pillage and plunder the next town over and make them into my slaves.

Just because it "always has been that way" doesn't make it right.

No but you are implying that it's permissable and inevitable as if there was no reason to bring attention to it.

So a sick young one brings it on himself to be bullied cause his uncontrollable actions deserve that?
Weatherly is an insensitive, maybe he deserves to be bullied a little just to use the same line on him

And this is what is wrong with the school system, and just in general. Dumbass parents who think their kids can do no wrong, and "it's everyone else but my precious child, he/she could/would NEVER do anything like that!" Then when presented with hard evidence that their kid did, in fact do it, it turns to..."And if they did, the other person deserved it!"

Last edited:
Perfect example of somebody with aspergers syndrome, Sheldon from the big bang theory. He may be smart but he says and does things others can't comprehend and can't control it

Sometimes kids bully others themselves, and then when they get scrutinized and bullied they play the victim. But in this case the kid has done nothing wrong and anything he has done he can't control. Makes me so angry

As the father of a little girl with Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADD, I'd LOVE to get the chance to show this dad just what it's like to be bullied. Se if he's okay with it when I'm done with him.

Children with disabilities who are bullied is the lowest of the low. The child may not fully understand what they are doing and make fun because someone's different but the parents knowingly backing their child is pretty sickening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"