Is Hollywood putting too much credence in comic books?

S.A.A.D.

Superhero
Reaction score
There are undesirable comic book movies that are coming out in the future,and there are ones that have came out in the past,and present. They have become wayyyyyyyyy too attached to wanting to making a buck. And I think that their line of thinking has to be stopped,and I also think that they should cut down on giving comic books that aren't too known a chance.

Examples of the past:
Virus
Tank Girl
Barb Wire
Catwoman
Bulletproof Monk

Whiteout

Examples of the present:
The Green Hornet

Examples of the future:
Men in Black III
Runaways
Priest
Cowboys & Aliens

To be fair,not everyone is looking forward to the comic book movies that are ready to go and the ones that aren't. Discuss.

Last edited:
What's wrong with giving little known comics a chance? It's not going to hurt their quality, and it worked out well for Men in Black.

Nothing. I just don't like comic book movies that are based on comics that I think suck,it's one really generic comic book movie after another that is pumped out,there are better comics out there that should be translated into movies. And so far these unknownish comics that were turned into movies have been a turkey,most of them that is. Not alot of thought goes into picking courtesy of Hollywood.

Last edited:
Nothing. I just don't like comic book movies that are based on comics that I think suck,it's one really generic comic book movie after another that is pumped out,there are better comics out there that should be translated into movies. And so far these unknownish comics that were turned into movies have been a turkey,most of them that is. Not alot of thought goes into picking courtesy of Hollywood.

And that's different than other genres how?

Also, Catwoman, as a character, isn't obscure. The movie was bad, and fans will tell you it had only a tenuous link to the character in the first place, but general knowledge of the character was likely higher than Iron Man, Green Lantern, Thor, most of the X-Men, etc.

They are running out of ideas and are looking everywhere possible. In doing so they discovered that comics are a broad medium and have a lot to offer the movie industry.

I expect this to continue for a long time, much like novel adaptations have been produced in Hollywood for a very long time. I am sure much like with book adaptations there are some who think that the next Wizard of OZ is out there somewhere.

I thionk it was Hitchcock who said that you should base your movies on books that weren't that good so you could make them better.

Anyways, good movies can come from mediocre comics and vice versa.

And that's different than other genres how?

Also, Catwoman, as a character, isn't obscure. The movie was bad, and fans will tell you it had only a tenuous link to the character in the first place, but general knowledge of the character was likely higher than Iron Man, Green Lantern, Thor, most of the X-Men, etc.

That depends on who you are.

Just because it's no different to you it doesn't mean that it's okay. You only talked on your behalf.

I thionk it was Hitchcock who said that you should base your movies on books that weren't that good so you could make them better.

Anyways, good movies can come from mediocre comics and vice versa.

Yeah.

That depends on who you are.

Just because it's no different to you it doesn't mean that it's okay. You only talked on your behalf.

Sure, I only talked on my behalf, but there's plenty to point to Catwoman being less than obscure to the general public. Most specifically multiple appearances on the Adam West series, which was highly popular in the 1960s and rerun constantly in the following decades and being one of the featured villains in Batman Returns, which was hardly an obscure film that nobody saw.

There's a vast difference between Catwoman and Barb Wire in terms of pre-sold media presence. And I don't think it falls into the realm of opinion. It's not exagerrating at all to say that tens of millions of people were at least vaguely familiar with Catwoman prior to the movie of the same name appearing.

Heck, there's a vast difference between MiB III, with 2 successful prior movies, and Cowboys and Aliens. The former is already pre-sold as a series of movies that have been seen by millions.

I do agree that it's much easier to market and sell a movie that's pre-sold. Adaptations seem to do better than original movies. Adaptations of well known properties tend to do better than adaptations of lesser known properties. I tend to think that it's simply because people want the safe choice in their entertainment, not risky choices.

But, in the big picture, I think it needs to be pointed out that other than the really well known icons of comic books, the difference between a comic book that sells 75k copies a month vs. a comic book that sells 20k copies a month, isn't worth anything to movie studios.

Well, no one does. :yay:

We've had some decent ones, critically and commercially

Road to Perdition
The Crow
A History of Violence
V for Vendetta
Watchmen

....and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. :facepalm:

I'm surprised we haven't had one on Maus yet.

I'm surprised we haven't had one on Maus yet.

I heard that Art Spiegelman is against Maus being a film and wont allow it.

Denny67 said:
They are running out of ideas and are looking everywhere possible. In doing so they discovered that comics are a broad medium and have a lot to offer the movie industry.

I disagree with that. I think there is just as many ideas, but fewer risk takers. Producers just want to run with tested idea's that they know they can make some kind of bank on.
And I think lesser known titles get picked up so often because purchasing the rights is much cheaper.

I actually got teary eyed when I read Maus the first time (Oops, did I say that out loud?)... No other graphic novel has had that effect on me. I think a film would cheapen it. Props to Spiegelman.

[/B]
Examples of the future:
Runaways
[/B]

This series at least started out great. I haven't read it in a while, but when Vaughn was on the book, it was awesome. If done right, this could be a fantastic movie, although it would probably work better as a tv show.

This series at least started out great. I haven't read it in a while, but when Vaughn was on the book, it was awesome. If done right, this could be a fantastic movie, although it would probably work better as a tv show.

Love your display pic. All I can say in reply is "Scary German guy is *****'n!"

Hollywood keeps redoing classics like Brothers Grimm, Greek myths, and other folklore. Comic books are just as much fair game. Video game movies seem to be riskier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"