John Malkovich helps save life of man

jmc

away for a while
Reaction score
Malkovich is the man. :up:
Jun 09 (TheWrap.com) - Actor John Malkovich helped save the life of a man bleeding severely on the street in Toronto on Saturday, according to media reports in Canada.

An Ohio tourist named Jim Walpole, 77, tripped on the sidewalk after leaving a restaurant in downtown Toronto. Walpole slashed his throat on some scaffolding and began bleeding profusely.

According to the reports, the Oscar-nominated actor was standing outside the Elgin Theater smoking a cigarette and, hearing the cries of Walpole's wife, rushed to the assistance of the injured man and applied pressure to the bleeding with his scarf until paramedics arrived.

"The way he was spurting I thought it was the carotid [artery] or the jugular [vein]," said Walpole's wife Marilyn, who is a retired nurse.

The 59-year-old actor is in Toronto starring in The Giacomo Variations at the Elgin Theatre.

Walpole told CBC News: "I asked, 'What's your name?' He said, 'John.' And I didn't ask the last name because I didn't figure I'd remember it anyhow."

He added that Malkovich "took over just like a doctor."

Walpole was taken to a local hospital where he received stitches and was released.
via http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...edingmt1thewrap96181-20130608,0,6554621.story

Great story.

What I especially hate about it though is that it reveals how much random construction is going on in Toronto right now in the middle of tourist season. There's scaffolding in block after block of Yonge St. dowtown, our main subway terminal looks like a coal mine because of much-delayed upgrades that should have been started years ago. The city looks like a mess right now. It's a eyesore and, as we can see, a safety issue.

My admiration for John Malkovich has gone up significantly.

Malkovich saves lives by existing, period.

I love John Malkovich. He's a great guy.

:wow: Poor guy walking down the street and getting his throat slashed. I wonder if he was alone and Malkovich hadn't hear his wife's cries, would he still be alive? He is a lucky guy.

I like how Malkovich wasn't like "Look at meee! It's Jonn Malkovich! I'm beTTer than you...I'm smARTer than you! I'm SAving you!"

Class act, that he didn't try and make a publicity stunt out of it and was just like "I'm John. Now shut up while I keep you alive."

Just like Steve Buscemi on 9/11 not wanting the publicity while he was working with his old firefighting crew at the WTC.

He wouldn't strike me as someone that would actually try to make it about him though. The media usually are the ones making a big deal if they see a celeb do something, a lot of them are more selfless than we think.

He wouldn't strike me as someone that would actually try to make it about him though. The media usually are the ones making a big deal if they see a celeb do something, a lot of them are more selfless than we think.

Spot on.

I wouldn't say "a lot of them" are selfless but there are more than get credit for it definitely. We tend to hear about the more egotistical ones in it for publicity. It's a situation where those who are quietly doing good community service aren't noticed for that very reason (they do so quietly). Finding them is hard which is why I pointed to Buscemi. He isn't someone who went "look at me, look at me!" while doing a selfless act.

I want to add there is an exception is those who are bringing attention to an under-publicized cause for the benefit of others and not themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"