Joss Whedon Reportedly the top contender for IX

Rian is a smart filmmaker, and he's done great work with Breaking Bad, Brick and the Brothers Bloom.

I would take Whedon over this Colin fellow a billion times. Heck, TFA had tinges of Joss' post modern, self aware wit anyways.

It's like JJ watched both A New Hope and The Avengers right before shooting.

I seem to be alone but I love the idea of Joss Whedon doing IX. I love his stuff and since most of it has a kind of Star Wars vibe already (like Abrams with the Star Trek movies) he'd be the perfect match.

I love Joss' work, but Star Wars is not right for him. I don't think he'd accept it anyway. Joss just came away from a franchise where he felt constrained, and he would be even more-so here.

I don't even know what he's gonna do next. He's been MIA for a while.

I'm beyond glad this never materialised. I hope he never does another mega budget movie again.

I guess he didn't like Age of Ultron.
Sure, I get that.
Personally, I think that it would be a huge loss if Whedon did not direct another Big budget film.
Although, I would watch his next film if it were small indie instead.

I mean, we already know who's directing the film anyway. It's Trevorrow.

But... but... Maybe they'll realize they made a mistake because Trevorrow isn't a god among insects like Whedon and they'll replace him! The possibilities are endless!

Sure, I get that.
Personally, I think that it would be a huge loss if Whedon did not direct another Big budget film.
Although, I would watch his next film if it were small indie instead.

Huge loss for one-liners? They'll live. TFA did humor better than Whedon ever could in the Avengers duology.

During Poe and Finn's escape in the TIE fighter there's a moment where Poe tells Finn to shoot at the cannons and I fully expected that bit to lead to Finn missing comically and Poe making a quip. Instead Finn hit the cannons, they exploded and Poe and Finn shared this very human moment of joy, elation and relief. It was far more uplifting than a cheap laugh and more genuine than anything Whedon has done. Mind you I like the first Avengers movie.

I guess Joss Whedon is now an easy target to make other films look better in comparison. This notion is getting annoying, the guy does good work, and i say this as someone who found Avengers generic and boring at time.

Abrams knows how to put a film together better than Whedon, but Whedon is more creative in general, both filmmakers have their strongs and weaknesses.

He does good work away from the cameras. He isn't exactly great behind the camera. Give him a show, sure. Let him write a movie, sure. But, not a fan of him being a director of big budget movies. Abrams has the opposite problem.

Whedon makes himself an easy target because all his characters sound the same on paper and he deflates emotional beats with his incessent quippery. He's not even in JJ's league.