• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jurassic World: Dominion

Jurassic Park was never about scientifically accurate dinosaurs. You could make the argument with the first movie and the behavior patterns courtesy of paleontology consultants at the time, but the dinos in JP were never meant to fully represent what real life dinos used to be. Get your head out of the gutter. You have hundreds of documentaries about accurate dinosaurs if you're that desperate to see something.

The first movie and original book was all about delivering a true-to-life experience of what real Dinosaurs would be like. When Jurassic Park was made - that's what every scientist thought Dinosaurs looked and sounded like. The franchise has slowly gotten further and further away from the original concept. And it's gotten boring and stale, same exact thing every movie.

A complete reboot of the franchise would not only allow filmmakers to capture the same sense of wonder and amazement people had when they saw the first film by having Dinosaurs look and sound like "real" Dinosaurs using updated data but it would help the franchise feel new again. As it is, it's played itself out, it's creatively bankrupt. How many times are they going to show us that shot of the T-Rex roaring the same roar it's been using for nearly 30 years?

After seeing Jurassic World - I'm fatigued from this from this franchise and many critics are feeling the same way

The first movie and original book was all about delivering a true-to-life experience of what real Dinosaurs would be like. When Jurassic Park was made - that's what every scientist thought Dinosaurs looked and sounded like. The franchise has slowly gotten further and further away from the original concept. And it's gotten boring and stale, same exact thing every movie.

A complete reboot of the franchise would not only allow filmmakers to capture the same sense of wonder and amazement people had when they saw the first film by having Dinosaurs look and sound like "real" Dinosaurs using updated data but it would help the franchise feel new again. As it is, it's played itself out, it's creatively bankrupt. How many times are they going to show us that shot of the T-Rex roaring the same roar it's been using for nearly 30 years?

After seeing Jurassic World - I'm fatigued from this from this franchise and many critics are feeling the same way

Again, hate you feel that way, and I'm willing to bet you will get your outright reboot/remake in the future. Its inevitable, maybe something that even follows more closely to the book and we get some cool scenes we never got from the novel, even I would enjoy that. But for now, Jurassic World is still a success and putting butts in seats. I'm enjoying it, so is a lot of other people.

Again, hate you feel that way, and I'm willing to bet you will get your outright reboot/remake in the future. Its inevitable, maybe something that even follows more closely to the book and we get some cool scenes we never got from the novel, even I would enjoy that. But for now, Jurassic World is still a success and putting butts in seats. I'm enjoying it, so is a lot of other people.

Well said dude :up: I’m right there with you in being a part of the group that is still enjoying these films a ton.

Jurassic World actually recycles stuff from another film franchise kinda ;)

The only way they could create dinosaurs that look exactly like real dinosaurs did is if they got complete DNA and didnt have to fill any gaps with modern animal DNA. Since the possibility of a dinosaurs complete DNA surviving 65+ million years is extremely unlikely I would say its scientificly inaccurate for them to say in a reboot that the dinosaurs are identical to real dinosaurs. Itd be worse than what they are currently doing in the current films. At least the current films are honest about these not being true to form dinosaurs. And it's impossible to know how dinosaurs really sounded so they might as well continue using the current sound design for the dinosaurs.

And let's be straight about this. You say theyve been using the same shot of the trex roaring and the same roar for nearly 30 years. You say it like that because it sounds absurdly overused. But the fact is the Trex has been used and had an iconic shot in a grand total of 4 films prior to JW:FK. And why would they change the Trex's roar or sound design. This is supposed to be the same Trex in JP and JW and JW:FK. Why would her roar drastically change? Why would her look drastically change?

Last edited:

That's fundamentally not true and I really doubt you have read the book you're expressing an opinion about.

For a start - in the novel Henry Wu talks about the genetic tampering performed to ensure that the dinosaurs created for the park were not scientifically accurate in order to keep step with what the general public thought dinosaurs should be like, as opposed to how they actually were. There's an entire plot about his "next version" of the creatures, where he was next going to remove their scientifically accurate speed in order to make them better for people to view.

Crichton himself made many creative choices in order to create more fun and varied dinosaurs - T-Rex's vision being based on movement, Dilophosaurus being able to spit venom and having a frill, Procompsognathus being poisonous. These are all creative inventions of Crichton.

In the novel, they are explained away as accidents or consequences of hybridisation with frogs. For example, the Dilophosaur in the novel is described as looking like THIS, with the ability to spit poison and the frill. We are subsequently told that the only amphibian DNA they could use to close its gene gaps was the Yellow Banded Poison Dart Frog, which looks like THIS. Thus, it is implied that Jurassic Park's Dilophosaurus has adopted significant visual and behavioural qualities from the frogs it was combined with.

Crichton essentially invented a fictional dinosaurs with the Velociraptors. They are a modified version of the species Deinonychus, given some traits and the name of the Velociraptor Mongoliensis, because Crichton thought it was "cooler". The real Velociraptor was about a foot tall and looked vastly different. The Velociraptors in Jurassic Park are not even scientifically accurate for Deinonchyus (they are much larger still than the Deinonchyus, which was larger than the real Velociraptor). They are simply fictional creations of Crichton. Their size is more similar to the Utahraptor.

Jurassic Park has never been scientifically accurate. More scientifically accurate than previous representations - sure. But not accurate. Blatantly fictional.

From what I saw, fans reactions seems to be much more positive than the critics one.

Not surprising given we're five films in and its a sequel to the fourth, which most believe was far more successful than it had any "right" to be.

The franchise has always had an issue with creativity and reasons to get people on the island.

Really the original should have been followed by a proper adaption of The Lost World, followed by a movie where Dinosaurs got off the island and onto the mainland. It's taken too long to get to this point.

Last edited:
That always confused me when I was younger, because I remember the Deinonychus from my DinoRider toys.

That always confused me when I was younger, because I remember the Deinonychus from my DinoRider toys.

dromaeosaurid_parade_by_durbed.jpg

Velociraptor is the smallest one, Deinonchyus is at the end and Utahraptor is the one that looks the size of the JP velociraptors.

The first movie and original book was all about delivering a true-to-life experience of what real Dinosaurs would be like. When Jurassic Park was made - that's what every scientist thought Dinosaurs looked and sounded like.

Nope. By the '93 (and even late 80s when Crichton was writing the novel) science, most of the JP stuff is (intentionally - I don't have any problem with them doing it) bull**** for cinematic purposes too.

Raptors were little chicken-sized ****ers, they knew this. Dilophosaurs were big imposing things, with no neck-frills, didn't spit venom.

You can overlook the featherless aspects as that theory was in its infancy at the time, but a lot of the stuff's purely just "it looks cooler, we'll do it this way" or "this'll be better for a movie".

Which is fine. But they clearly didn't give a crap about the science to any extent other than what-will-work-for-a-movie.

It's a monster movie, pure and simple. Spielbergian to the core.

Nope. By the '93 (and even late 80s when Crichton was writing the novel) science, most of the JP stuff is (intentionally - I don't have any problem with them doing it) bull**** for cinematic purposes too.

Raptors were little chicken-sized ****ers, they knew this. Dilophosaurs were big imposing things, with no neck-frills, didn't spit venom.

You can overlook the featherless aspects as that theory was in its infancy at the time, but a lot of the stuff's purely just "it looks cooler, we'll do it this way" or "this'll be better for a movie".

Which is fine. But they clearly didn't give a crap about the science to any extent other than what-will-work-for-a-movie.

This is correct.

:applaud

I kinda sorta liked the movie in a "I hope I don't think about it too much otherwise it'll completely fall apart and start to annoy me" kinda of way. I really disliked the ending though.

The dinos in the wild are going to last about two minutes. They'll be hunted, shot and killed as soon as someone's pet dog goes missing. There really should have been a coda of them being rounded up and moved to the island sanctuary that is all set up at the beginning of the movie and then never spoken of again for some weird reason (they were probably hoping you'd forget about it otherwise you'd realise how daft releasing the dinos is).

The movie was the wrong way round. Have the bad guy unveil a new dino at his house. Have it all go wrong and people die and it gets killed. So then he has to go to the island to save the dinos before it gets blown up by the volcano. All the island stuff at the beginning would have made a better third act.

Last edited:
So the movie literally ends on a
"dinosaurs are loose on the North American mainland, cut to credits" cliffhanger?

Well, that's certainly pretty ****in' lame.

Last edited:
So the movie literally ends on a
"dinosaurs are loose on the North American mainland, cut to credits"? cliffhanger?

Well, that's certainly pretty ****in' lame.

Yes, and unless the next movie picks up *immediately* afterwards, they're all likely to be dead (what are they going to eat? The first movie established that they had to grow 'extinct' species of plants as well (the triceratops is ill because it ate some normal berries or something). Also, with hunting being a thing in America there will be loads of gun nuts out there trophy hunting. And it's not as though loads of dinos were released - it was about 10, with the most being the last of their kind.

Well, hey, if there are dinosaur clones running around Florida and South Carolina or whatever, you better hope there are some "gun nuts" prepared.

But yeah, sounds like their game plan is the "life finds a way" thing just on a bigger scale for the third one. Ehh, meh, schmeh. Fits thematically, just reeks of "bigger is better, next time the CG spectacle action sequences will be crazy!".

Sounds like they'll probably do a "time jump, few years or something, breeders gonna breed, a dozen dinosaurs turns into a few hundred, run civilian mother****ers, run!" thing.

Overall I enjoyed it. First half was better than the second, mainly because an island of dinosaurs is much more interesting to watch than dinosaurs in cages.

Jurassic World 3: Hide Yo Kids, Hide Yo Wife

So I see they went the route I was expecting them to take. Please tell me there's at least a hint of an interesting twist to it... (Either DM or just put it in a spoiler tag, I don't care.)

Jurassic Park was never about scientifically accurate dinosaurs. You could make the argument with the first movie and the behavior patterns courtesy of paleontology consultants at the time, but the dinos in JP were never meant to fully represent what real life dinos used to be. Get your head out of the gutter.

Regardless of how Hollywood fanciful the original designs were in both the book and the original film (and the contrivances it took to get to said designs; InGen and real-world scientists knew about the bird-dinosaur connection pre-1990s but they're still using frogs for dumb reasons), part of what makes it so notable in the first place is because they at least started with the most up-to-date stuff at the time and ultimately presented the public with an onscreen view of dinosaurs that was more modern and cutting-edge than most anything else that had been shown onscreen, fictional, documentary or otherwise. If they'd done the same with this new trilogy then I'm sure everyone would on some level enjoy these films more than we currently do, regardless of whether we like or not right now.

You have hundreds of documentaries about accurate dinosaurs if you're that desperate to see something.

Ha! No, actually there aren't and Jurassic Park is in part to blame. (You can check this out for a brief overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8bei4K6BM of what I'm saying if you don't want to read the next two paragraphs.)

Firstly, there's only a few dozen documentaries that are post-Jurassic Park, and none of the ones that came before had the budget or vision to realize their subjects in the way that Jurassic Park did on both technical and scientific levels. (Most programs focused on the fossils and paleontologists, occasionally punctuating a point with either a painting or a quick "in life" scene in cartoon form or occasionally stop-motion animation if the budget was large enough. On top of that, they were still largely relying on old science, or at least were more skeptical to embrace the new paradigms of dinosaurs as more active, behaviorally complex, visually interesting animals.) Walking with Dinosaurs (1999) was the first documentary to even approach Jurassic Park on a technical level, using the same techniques the film did to bring dinosaurs -- and their world -- to life in a dynamic way, and most notably putting the focus entirely on their in-life depictions, with the voice-over narrator as the only human element. In the next few years there were a few programs that were able to successfully follow this wildlife documentary style -- When Dinosaurs Roamed America (2001) and Dinosaur Planet (2003) -- going the next step by punctuating their segments with brief interviews with paleontologists in order to highlight the basis for some aspect of the story you just saw. (There were also a bunch of Walking with... sequels and spinoffs that came out during this period, covering other periods of earth history.)

After that came a dearth in this type of programming; that's not to say that dinosaur-related media went away, but it got replaced by stuff (both fictional and documentary-type programming) that just leaned on or reinforced the Jurassic Park images and tropes, in part because companies making them had the idea that A) That's what dinosaurs looked like regardless of what our consultants say and/or B) Those will sell, so whatever programming you see up until about 2010 was largely just sensationalistic noise of varying animation quality that is often referred to in science-based paleontology circles as "Awesomebro!" culture -- well explained in this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJJTAse1Eg -- that still makes up the whole of popular dinosaur media nowadays. Jurassic Fight Club (2008), Clash of the Dinosaurs (2009), and Monsters Resurrected (2009) are the most notable (and egregious) examples of this, made worse by the fact that they followed the mould of the talking head-driven format, which resulted in the shows either cherry picking, largely disregarding, or even twisting what their consultants had to say in order to present various old misconceptions and flat-out fabricated ideas as "facts" directly backed by the relevant scientists. (A notable example here: https://svpow.com/2009/12/15/lies-damned-lies-and-clash-of-the-dinosaurs/)

There was a brief period in the early 2010s that saw a slight resurgence of the "in their world" storytelling, but those weren't particularly resonant, each for their own reasons. March of the Dinosaurs (2011) had dull and poor creature designs on top of a dully executed story; Planet Dinosaur (2011) cut itself short by just being too plainly conservative in terms of both creature design and story, with janky animation quality to boot; Dinosaur Revolution (2011) was actually a movie with heavily anthropomorphized behaviors and stories using fairly decent creature designs, that got stretched into a documentary for Discovery Channel, resulting in lots of added small vignettes of varying animation quality; and the 2013 Walking with Dinosaurs movie was significantly marred by the last-minute decision to turn it into a kiddie film by adding insufferable telepathic voice acting. Once Jurassic World reared its head as an actual project in 2013, various documentaries were made to try and capitalize on the incoming pop culture dinosaur wave, but most of these weren't really all that good. They largely went back to the talking-head-with-occasional-scenes format, their animation (and information quality) varying from okay to bad. The only exception was T. Rex Autopsy by National Geographic, which was actually all-around decent (though the model is still off in a lot of ways) and anyone who likes [dinosaur] practical effects and animatronics should definitely check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT9zqaAqQaw

The overall TL;DR version of all this is that Jurassic Park started a trend that has affected how the public views dinosaurs over the last 25 years now to the point where even companies that are supposed to be producing well-made educational content often end up consciously opting to play towards those trends instead of showing the newest, truest science, and the Jurassic World franchise is only reigniting that trend even though it's now two decades out of date. At this point, the best dinosaur project I've seen so far this decade (and will likely hold this title for the foreseeable future) is an independent early access video game called Saurian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbrUBUbjD0&t=

Last edited:
Just rewatched Jurassic World once again :woot: Getting myself ready!

Jurassic Park is still just a fictional movie at the end of the day. It's make believe. So what's the problem here? IMHO it's not the responsibility of Steven Spielberg to tell everyone, by the way, these are not scientifically accurate dinosaurs.

It's a monster movie.

It's like trying to pick apart the look & behavior of the shark in Jaws, or wanting E.T. to be accurate to documented U.F.O. sightings/descriptions or whatever. Totally and completely irrelevant.

Jurassic Park franchise works as is. Jurassic World is the fifth highest grossing film worldwide so I don't see how there's any franchise fatigue yet. It rebooted itself and succeeded by not changing the fundamental elements that make the Jurassic franchise, the Jurassic franchise.

Now, if somebody else comes along and creates a new dinosaur franchise (and why shouldn't they) then we can have different, maybe more scientifically accurate dinosaurs. And it will be unique for that specific franchise. We actually need more big budget dinosaur movies. The last non-animated film to even try was Land of the Lost almost a decade ago.

Jurassic Park is still just a fictional movie at the end of the day. It's make believe. So what's the problem here? IMHO it's not the responsibility of Steven Spielberg to tell everyone, by the way, these are not scientifically accurate dinosaurs.

I never said it was his responsibility, but the new stuff is regressive and pretending to be smart or aware of it by throwing in the "You wanted more teeth" line. It's a bit that really should be a bigger plot thread since the film makers claim they still want these movies to have some sort of "message".

It's a monster movie.

It's like trying to pick apart the look & behavior of the shark in Jaws, or wanting E.T. to be accurate to documented U.F.O. sightings/descriptions or whatever. Totally and completely irrelevant.
What's wrong with wanting more out of your entertainment? That's what everyone's here on this website for in the first place; write down expectations, criticize what we don't like about it, and voice our desires and suggestions for improvements. (And hey, every once in a while someone actually listens and follows through.)

Jurassic Park franchise works as is. Jurassic World is the fifth highest grossing film worldwide so I don't see how there's any franchise fatigue yet. It rebooted itself and succeeded by not changing the fundamental elements that make the Jurassic franchise, the Jurassic franchise.

Now, if somebody else comes along and creates a new dinosaur franchise (and why shouldn't they) then we can have different, maybe more scientifically accurate dinosaurs. And it will be unique for that specific franchise. We actually need more big budget dinosaur movies. The last non-animated film to even try was Land of the Lost almost a decade ago.

The main thrust of my earlier post is that Jurassic Park cast a huge shadow over all dinosaur media, including the stuff that's supposed to be factual. When the Discovery Channel is opting to quote mine and misrepresent a paleontologist's actual words on camera in order to promote an outdated and retro idea just to get ratings instead of presenting actual research like they're supposed to -- and the last big studio attempt, the Walking with Dinosaurs movie, was sullied by execs to the point of being a flop -- what hope is there for another big budget Hollywood project to actually make it all the way through production intact, especially with the Jurassic World franchise being the financial juggernaut that it is?

Last edited:
Ok, people at FB are going crazy over a certain moment during the Volcano scene.

So many comments of upset people that cried, felt down, etc. Even parents covering their children's eyes.

What EXACTLY is the deal with that scene?!

I'd guess some of the dinos suffer kind of brutal deaths?

They probably offed a sauropod or two in dramatically intimate ways. It's a bunch of dinosaurs that we're supposed to care about trapped on a cliff edge as a pyroclastic flow approaches; I think it's pretty obvious what goes down.

I've read some reviews that refer to the volcano scene as the biggest and best set piece of the whole film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"