• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just how did Lionel Survive this? 80 mph hit with his car!

Spare-Flair

Sidekick
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
1,174
Reaction score
0
Points
31
lionelsplat0wp.gif


I did a rough perspective calulation from another shot which shows them standing together in the field with the SUV in the background (roughly 60 feet distance what a nerd I am :spidey: ) and Lionel is flying at 120 feet per second = 80 mph!!!

This is the same as somebody being hit by a car going 80 mph. This is ridiculous. Did the FX department get the wrong instructions "Lionel Gets Splattered" instead of "minor cut on his face"?
 
Spare-Flair said:
lionelsplat0wp.gif


I did a rough perspective calulation from another shot which shows them standing together in the field with the SUV in the background (roughly 60 feet distance what a nerd I am :spidey: ) and Lionel is flying at 120 feet per second = 80 mph!!!

This is the same as somebody being hit by a car going 80 mph. This is ridiculous. Did the FX department get the wrong instructions "Lionel Gets Splattered" instead of "minor cut on his face"?
Incorrect! Lionel is lighter than the SUV so he does not have nearly the same force coming from the rear.

If it was the same, the vehicle would've gone flying and Lionel would've buckled under the impact.
 
Odin's Lapdog said:
how did he end up flying to a car


Lex smacked him


Lionel really should been serious injured I think from that impact
 
Flame on! said:
Incorrect! Lionel is lighter than the SUV so he does not have nearly the same force coming from the rear.

If it was the same, the vehicle would've gone flying and Lionel would've buckled under the impact.

Yes, you're right. If the SUV is around 1800 kg and Lionel is 70 kg, then he's hitting the car with something like 25 times less force. That's still quite a bit at 2561 Newtons or 575 lbs feet for force. I have no idea what that's equivalent to but it must be nasty.
 
Spare-Flair said:
lionelsplat0wp.gif


I did a rough perspective calulation from another shot which shows them standing together in the field with the SUV in the background (roughly 60 feet distance what a nerd I am :spidey: ) and Lionel is flying at 120 feet per second = 80 mph!!!

This is the same as somebody being hit by a car going 80 mph. This is ridiculous. Did the FX department get the wrong instructions "Lionel Gets Splattered" instead of "minor cut on his face"?

Safety Glass :D
 
I understand all the "logic" behind these scenarios, but it's a show about an alien. Why does everyone try to place logic and make sense about a show that is a total fantasy? There was a debate a couple of months ago about the whole helicopter on the roof thing and it lasted a couple of pages or so, it's a fantasy show and if you're going to try to rationalize everything, what's the point of watching? Don't we enjoy viewing the show to escape reality? Not trying to start an argument with anyone, I just don't understand the thought process?
 
Jor El protected him, end of story :confused:

You cant apply real world physics to Superman/Smallville.
 
in my neighborhood, a "rough calculation" is when someone beats you with a pocket calculator...
 
These people should be watching PBS instead of the WB. Lol, I kid because I care.
 
AllThingsComic said:
I understand all the "logic" behind these scenarios, but it's a show about an alien. Why does everyone try to place logic and make sense about a show that is a total fantasy? There was a debate a couple of months ago about the whole helicopter on the roof thing and it lasted a couple of pages or so, it's a fantasy show and if you're going to try to rationalize everything, what's the point of watching? Don't we enjoy viewing the show to escape reality? Not trying to start an argument with anyone, I just don't understand the thought process?

Because it's one of the less realistic more campy special effects scenes that stand out as being totally silly. This show does amazing things with many of its FX sequences involving Superpowers that are usually well done but this is just far too exaggerated. When people get tossed like this in the show, it was always a super-powered character, never a normal human.
 
Spare-Flair said:
Because it's one of the less realistic more campy special effects scenes that stand out as being totally silly. This show does amazing things with many of its FX sequences involving Superpowers that are usually well done but this is just far too exaggerated. When people get tossed like this in the show, it was always a super-powered character, never a normal human.

Like I said, I understand the logic, but it's fantasy, just enjoy the good with the bad.
 
i don't think fantasy should forever be the scapegoat when dealing with things tha aren't feasible.

once the initial fantasy has been set in stone, than realism (or reality based on fantasy) should forever follow, otherwise sloppy work is forever just ignored as being fantasy work that no one should care about.

this is just a general comment and not about the clip.
 
I understand, I just think to much energy is wasted trying to place realistic expectations on something that can never ever happen. But I definately understand what you mean.
 
The Incredible Hulk said:
in my neighborhood, a "rough calculation" is when someone beats you with a pocket calculator...

Thats f-ing hilarious!!!!!!!!!
 
AllThingsComic said:
I understand, I just think to much energy is wasted trying to place realistic expectations on something that can never ever happen. But I definately understand what you mean.
true, too much emphasis can be spent on all the minor details, but when it's something blatant than people are bound to wonder?
 
its like the debate over how fast clark could run, when he went from smallville to honduras in seconds. it is what it is and thats all that it is.
 
If Lionel had Jor-El's powers in him when he hit that car....why did he bleed!?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,683
Messages
21,786,284
Members
45,616
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"