Xbox Killer Instinct

I remember when the 1st one came out in the arcades.

it really pushed the idea of using combos, and the insane, multi-hit combos were part of the appeal.

it was also a fresh alternative to the Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats of the time.

it also had a character unzip her top and flash her **** as her finishing move..........

:wow: Jago Combo Special w/84 Hit Combo at 2 min mark on KI 3 running at @720 res. :wow:

Last edited:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/j5zny0/killer-instinct-behind-the-scenes-at-double-helix

Glacius shows up around 10:20~ish. Was that a shoulder charge?

I'm going to EVO. I don't know how good a recording would turn out, since I have bad hands and my only good camera came with my Droid X. But I'll definitely "play KI" (read: get my ash handed to me by pros) and post my impressions of it here for those who couldn't go. I'm a Glacius fiend, though, so don't be too surprised if the only notes I come back with are about him.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/j5zny0/killer-instinct-behind-the-scenes-at-double-helix

Glacius shows up around 10:20~ish. Was that a shoulder charge?

I'm going to EVO. I don't know how good a recording would turn out, since I have bad hands and my only good camera came with my Droid X. But I'll definitely "play KI" (read: get my ash handed to me by pros) and post my impressions of it here for those who couldn't go. I'm a Glacius fiend, though, so don't be too surprised if the only notes I come back with are about him.
sweet can't wait to see it.

That was one weird design for Glacius that popped up later. It looked like some mutated form of Glacius. Also , you get to see the design of Sabrewulf's stage in the beginning. He lives like a crack addict.

Love the look of this game!

That was one weird design for Glacius that popped up later. It looked like some mutated form of Glacius. Also , you get to see the design of Sabrewulf's stage in the beginning. He lives like a crack addict.

I love the junkie ticks they gave him in his idle animation.

Me too...and I hope they bring back his rabid vicious Supreme Victory where he is tearing apart a piece of flesh. That has to make a return.

So, Glacius.

If you liked Dhalsim in SF4, you'll like Glacius. His jump kicks are essentially Dhalsim's jump punches, his projectile seems even better than Sim's, and most of his ground normals exist to stuff your moves from mid- to long range. His anti-air arm blade is now his Fierce Punch; he no longer uses a command to do it. His jumps are similarly floaty, so those jump kicks are best done during neutral jumps or jump backs.

I got to talk with Michael Willette, one of the game's developers (you might remember him from the GT video; he was the one who confirmed offline tournaments). I asked him about the move list as they didn't post one, and he clarified a lot about the game in the process. If I heard right, Big G's move list goes something like this:

Hail: Quarter circle back + Punch.
Shatter: Quarter circle forward + Punch.
Cold Shoulder: Quarter circle back + Kick.
Puddle Uppercut: Quarter circle forward + Kick.
Ice Lance: Back + Fierce Punch (or maybe Medium, I forget).

Cold Shoulder is no longer a charge move. Hail is made to control space directly above him. Shatter is also a projectile, but it's an unblockable low- and yeah, my eyebrows arched at that, too. But then I remembered how other games treat those and asked if it hits opponents who are temporarily in the air, like Jago when he does his Wind Kick. For Wind Kick, at least, it doesn't. Especially LK Wind Kick; it's invincible to lows. Cold Shoulder's a good way to keep pressure and extend his combos. His Ice Lance was modified to be a long, straight poke. It starts up fast, so it gives him more priority. Basically, if you catch an opponent at the start of a move at full screen, Ice Lance tends to interrupt them. I asked about the absence of Puddle Teleport. Willette told me that with it, Glacius would be "too godly." To add to the Dhalsim comparison, I noticed while playing that his stomps feel short and stubby, just like Sim's. The gist of his game seems to be keeping you off yours with strong control over air and ground, using his low and stand Quick and Mediums cancelled into the relative safety of Puddle Uppercut if the opponent gets close.

His Instinct is ice armor. Maybe Willette or David Verfaillie, who was also there commentating streamed matches from the MadCatz booth, talked about it. All I can say is that there were a few moments where Glacius was plowing right through moves even though they hit. I'm not sure if that's his Instinct or the weird Counter Breaker that's in the new EVO build.

His stage is Crash Site, which looks amazing in 1080p. There's very little to say about the rest of the cast. I overheard Mike Z, the creator of Skullgirls who's also helping them balance KI, say that Jago's Laser Blade is unsafe, so you can get punished if it's blocked. Sabrewulf looked exactly the same as he's been. You press buttons, you cancel into his swipes, you rinse and repeat. His anti-air bite has a deceptive horizontal hit box; you can jump almost right over him and it'll still hit.

I have some match footage, but it's kinda shaky cam, and I'm pretty sure you got higher quality stuff out of the MadCatz stream. If you have any reasonable questions for the devs, I'll check this thread before I leave tomorrow and see if I can't ask a few. The KI team was nice to everyone who had a question about the game.

Last edited:
Can Glacius still recharge health by liquifying? Can he also liquify to evade projectiles? What about his long arm grapple to help setup a combo?

They think teleporting is too god-like? Makes me wonder about Cinder who could make himself intangible.

After some more toying, I'm pretty sure the Ice Lance is a stand Quick Punch, in forward or back direction.

Can Glacius still recharge health by liquifying?

No. As far as I can tell, his Instinct ice armor takes a certain amount of hits for you at a time until the Instinct meter depletes. Only Jago can heal damage in this build, with his Instinct.

Can he also liquify to evade projectiles?
I'm not sure if Puddle Uppercut does that. Maybe Shadow Uppercut? I can check, if the machines are still open during finals tomorrow. I can tell you Hail's a little too slow to reliably clash with other projectiles unless you spend meter on Shadow Hail.

What about his long arm grapple to help setup a combo?
He doesn't have it. Trade off is, Shatter and Ice Lance can be followed with a full combo from full screen into whatever still hits. He has a throw that pushes your foe across the screen. Overall, his playstyle's very keepaway now. He hasn't lost much. In fact, a lot of people I spoke with felt he's almost too good.

They think teleporting is too god-like? Makes me wonder about Cinder who could make himself intangible.
All that's stopping Glacius from being a lockdown nightmare is how limited in options he becomes at close range, just like in KI1. As for Cinder, it sounds like he's in, but no one move is safe from reinterpretation. So don't expect Cinder to go unchanged.

EDIT: I asked around about Counter Breakers. The way it works is, you anticipate where your opponent will try to combo break you, and input MP + MK at the same time. It negates the break and lets you continue into a full combo right after. But if they don't, your combo drops and they have the opportunity to hit you. So it's a high risk, high reward mechanic. Oh, and there's a promotional card game they were advertising at the line for casuals. It "plays like Yomi," made by David Sirlin, former pro SF2 player. I don't think you'll be missing much if you pass.

Last edited:
Glacius looks awesome. I can't wait for this game

Here's a video with Glacius in action! New Stage for Crash Site! He looks sick!

New IGN EVO Character profiles:

Jago:

Sabrewulf (with new stage!):

Glacius lost some weight. :woot: Dude is gonna be a defensive player's wet dream.

I heard it got booed when the developers said they are working closely with Microsoft.

I heard it got booed when the developers said they are working closely with Microsoft.
Yeah, I was under the impression that they were booing more at the Xbox One console over the KI game. It really does show that Microsoft still has some problems considering that what should be the early adopter base, is turning out to be really bitter over it.

I was in the crowd. Every single time Microsoft or the Xbox One was name dropped, the whole audience booed. No exaggeration, some of the more controversial players in their various games got less boos than Microsoft. A few people got restless during the exhibition matches, shouting "when's Marvel," but that's mainly because by that point the tournament was running an hour late. SF4 finals didn't start until 8:30, though it was scheduled for 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"