• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Killing Pablo:THe Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw

He could have said what he thinks about it, without cuss words and insults.

I dont know what people expected from Smokin Aces but it was the absurd thrill ride i expected it to be and I dont know why people jump all over it.

Have you ever met a director who took constructive criticism well?

I read Javier Bardem was taking a year off and was out of this.

I read Javier Bardem was taking a year off and was out of this.

I don't know. He dropped out of two films, and Carnahan is suspiciously keeping quiet on the casting front. Javier Bardem as Pablo Escobar is like Christian Bale as John Connor. It's perfect.

I don't know. He dropped out of two films, and Carnahan is suspiciously keeping quiet on the casting front. Javier Bardem as Pablo Escobar is like Christian Bale as John Connor. It's perfect.

I agree, he wrote in one blog something to the effect that Bardem was his absolute #1 choice...but if he were unable to do it he had "one" other person in mind....not sure who though. He's moving forward with this like the cast is in place so....

An interesting development at today's press junket for Woody Allen's romantic comedy Vicky Christina Barcelona when ComingSoon.net spoke to the film's star Javier Bardem and asked him about Joe Carnahan's Killing Pablo, for which the Oscar-winning actor was attached to play the title role of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar.

It was reported by Variety last October that the Yari Film Group was fast-tracking the film with Bardem playing the lead role and Christian Bale to co-star. When ComingSoon.net spoke to Carnahan earlier this summer, he was already talking about his trip down to Columbia to start preparing in order to shoot the movie in the Fall. (At the time, he said nothing about the casting.)

In February, the National Ledger cast some doubt on whether Bardem would play the role, but it seemed more like Bardem hadn't decided what he wanted to do yet, saying "Those credits are up in the air" even though Bardem was still listed to play the role on IMDB.com, having presumably been Carnahan's first choice for Escobar.

With that in mind, ComingSoon.net asked Bardem today how he was preparing for the role, to which we were informed that it was "a mistake" and that it "wasn't true" he was going to play the part in Carnahan's movie. Since we presumed everything was in place for casting with the Variety report and Carnahan's own progress on moving into production, we'll have to wait and see who Carnahan gets to fill the role if Bardem is out. There's been no word from Bale on his own part in the movie despite having spent the past few weeks doing press for The Dark Knight.

Link: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47601

:csad: I really wanted to see Bardem and Bale face off.

Vince Chase for Pablo Escobar!

This guy should could play him...he was slated in the Fuqua version but that's scrapped. Loved him in Vantage Point and Bourne Ultimatum.

Did I have a picture in post?....

I would like him in the role...or Cliff Curtis who played him in Blow. My top choices.

Did I have a picture in post?....

I would like him in the role...or Cliff Curtis who played him in Blow. My top
choices.

I like Edgar. I think he can work.

Also, I didn't see a picture in the post.

I like Edgar. I think he can work.

Also, I didn't see a picture in the post.

Same here....I hope he's on his radar.

I was just wondering, just seemed like it considering the way my post was worded.

Same here....I hope he's on his radar.

I was just wondering, just seemed like it considering the way my post was worded.

I think we can expect an announcement soon. They want to start shooting in October, so September should be a big month for Carnahan to start blogging.

I think we can expect an announcement soon. They want to start shooting in October, so September should be a big month for Carnahan to start blogging.

Plus the actor playing Pablo will probably want a little time....probably a month to put on some weight. So yeah I think we'll hear something soon to.

Anything on Carnahan's blog about this?

Edgar Ramirez to Play Pablo Escobar in Two Films?!
August 14, 2008
Source: CHUD
by Kevin Powers

A sleeper of a bad-ass, Edgar Ramirez (seen above), is in the news today with word coming (via CHUD) that director Smokin' Joe Carnahan is eying the Venezuelan actor to play the notorious drug kingpin, Pablo Escobar, in Carnahan's 2009 biopic, Killing Pablo. There's only one problem with this. Ramirez is reportedly slated to play the same character in Antoine Fuqua's competing film, Escobar, for which Oliver Stone is executive producing. What gives? Word came down a few weeks ago that despite rumoring to the contrary, Javier Bardem would not headline Carnahan's film, so it's been know that the director was looking for another lead. We've also known that Carnahan has zero love for Fuqua and Stone's parallel production. So has Carnahan spirited Ramirez away from the competing film and on to his own?

CHUD received a message directly from Carnahan talking about Ramirez's potential involvement. "I spent the last week in Colombia with Edgar Ramirez talking Pablo and he has every intention of portraying Escobar and I couldn't be more fired up by the prospect. He's coming at it with boundless enthusiasm, conviction to the role and and the understanding that he's going to have to pack on anywhere from 35 to 40lbs." I guess that message didn't include a big "***** you" to Fuqua and lots of gloating that Carnahan stole his front runner? Perhaps I missed news where Ramirez was up for grabs? Carnahan please chime in!

Whatever the back story, I'm definitely more excited about Carnahan's project. Whereas Fuqua's Escobar will focus on the relationship between Pablo and his brother Roberto - Carnahan describes it as a "wholly fictionalized Butch and Sundance angle" - Charnahan's Killing Pablo will center on the Columbian gangster and the battles he waged with various parties that eventually brought him to his assassination. One of those warring factions was the US. In the film, a Delta Force commander that leads the special forces team will will be played by none other than Christian Bale. I think it's time Fuqua folds.

As for Ramirez, I've been a follower of his ever since seeing him as the long-haired bounty hunter in Domino. The guy's got a menace about him that is quite unique. If you're curious, Domino is worth the watch. He had (what I think) was a pretty small role in Vantage Point, as well; but I wouldn't really want anyone to suffer through that. If you want to wait, Ramirez is set to appear in Steven Soderbergh's epic Che double feature. We'll continue to bring you details as I imagine this casting confusion over the two competing films will be sorted out soon enough. Ramirez isn't 100% locked on either, so who knows what will happen. What do you think of this situation and Ramirez as Pablo Escobar?

Guess they didn't get word about the other film getting the axe.

I posted a link up toward the middle of the page saying that they haven't spoken to Edgar about being in Escobar. He's just Pablo in Killing Pablo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"