• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Kotaku Magu: DS Dragon Quest IX Getting Mixed Reaction In Japan

Zenien

Reaction score
DQninetitle.jpg

Kotaku Magu: DS Dragon Quest IX Getting Mixed Reaction In Japan
With me being jet-lagged, shaggy and sleepy, today's Kotaku Magu comes courtesy of dapper Tim Rogers at Insert Credit, who points to a new Famitsu poll that shows a sizable majority *not* thrilled about Dragon Quest IX hitting the DS. The question: "Do you welcome Dragon Quest IX on the Nintendo DS?" The answers:

• 40.3 percent say "Yes"
  • 46 Percent say "No"
  • 8.5 percent say "Not sure yet"
But, wait! There's more! Famitsu also asked: "Do you like the idea of action-based battles in a Dragon Quest game?" Exciting negativity after the jump.

• [6.8 percent say "Neither yes nor no"
  • 19.9 percent say "Not sure yet"
  • 19.4 percent say "Yes"
  • 53.9 percent say "No"
Granted, this is from not regular folks, but folks in Famitsu polls. There's also a retailer poll. When asked if they liked DQ IX on the DS, they replied:

• 45.5 percent say "Yes"
  • 22.5 percent say "Neither"
  • 10 percent say "Not sure yet"
  • 20 percent say "No"
And when asked about action-based battles, the retailers stated:

• 15 percent say "Yes"
  • 32.4 percent say "Not sure yet"
  • 12.5 percent say "Neither"
  • 40 percent say "No"
Wow! Frosty reaction to the action-based battles. Here's a smattering of quotes from retailers and Japanese that hopefully will shed light on at least something.

Retailer from ***ushima:

New users will adapt to the system easily. What about all the hardcore fans being betrayed, though?"

19-Year-old College Student:

I honestly don't think the graphics need to be better than they already are. It's a good match for the DS.

25-Year-Old Housewife:

I'd be totally all for this if they weren't trying to call it an installment of the main series.

33-Year-Old Businessman:

I do not own a DS. And DSes are in short supply. I will not be able to play this game.

17-Year-Old Student:

When I heard it was on the DS, I was totally like 'That sucks!'

33-Year-Old Businessman:

Would any of us have predicted two years ago that the next Dragon Quest game would be released for a portable system? I can sense the shift in the sands of time.

23-Year-Old Businesswoman:

Now I can play Dragon Quest wherever I am!

Retailer from Shizuoka:

No action RPGs on the DS to date have been successful.

The most common comment? According to Famitsu:

It just isn't Dragon Quest

And like that, Japan implodes.

Kudos to Tim for going through the trouble of translating all this. Swing by Insert Credit for all the details in full! Brian Ashcraft

Japan Boo-Hoos DQ IX [Insert Credit]

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/dragon...ix-getting-mixed-reaction-in-japan-224970.php

Boo Hoo, things chage. Suck it up, crybabies. Who wants to bet this sells boat loads when it's released in Japan? They'll buy it regardless and they'll buy a DS if they don't have one. :o

I don't like it on the DS either.
When I think of Dragon Quest, I think of huge grand adventure.
I just don't see a way to have a huge grand adventure on the DS, unless it was earlier Dragon Quest games.
It should be on the PS3 or the Xbox360.

But it's not...so you either play it on the DS or not at all. I think it's a great move. The DS is currently outselling all three of the next gen systems...so why not?

I'm telling you, with the way things are going "portable" games will be gaming of the future more then home consoles.

This poll is a crock of ****. Everyone knows for a ****ing fact that DQ9 will sell like hotcakes and officially mark the death of the PSP.

There's no, "will you be buying the game?" question, calm down. They can dislike nearly everything about DQIX in terms of the changes made and still be buying it. Just because Famitsu has a japanese poll with results you don't like doesn't mean it's ****. :confused:

PSP won't be dying, it's not exactly thriving either, but it's stable.

Zenien said:
There's no, "will you be buying the game?" question, calm down. They can dislike nearly everything about DQIX in terms of the changes made and still be buying it. Just because Famitsu has a japanese poll with results you don't like doesn't mean it's ****. :confused:

PSP won't be dying, it's not exactly thriving either, but it's stable.

No, it's definitely a crock of ****. Everyone that participated will still buy it and likly change their mind anyways.

It's stable? Well that's news to me.

Well considering it has been averaging consistent sales for over the past year, I'd say so.

So what would you call the disparity between the PS2 and the other consoles that faced it during that period.

19.5 vs 35.5 isn't dead in the water.

Zenien said:
So what would you call the disparity between the PS2 and the other consoles that faced it during that period.

19.5 vs 35.5 isn't dead in the water.

The PS2 ****ing killed the other consoles as well. (GCN killed itself, but whatever.)

Yeah it is.

Bah whatever.

On topic though, I'd have to agree that I'm not enthused about the changes, I'm ok with it going on the DS, albeit a little dissapointed, but realtime battles are like wtf???

Zenien said:
Bah whatever.

On topic though, I'd have to agree that I'm not enthused about the changes, I'm ok with it going on the DS, albeit a little dissapointed, but realtime battles are like wtf???

Don't whatever me!

Meh, I don't give a **** about the changes.

Panophobia said:
You know what Zenien, I'll retract my words.

DQ9 will not be the death of the PSP for one reason....

It's already been ****ing killed.

http://www.vgcharts.org/ngwars.php

That chart shows that the PSP is actually good competition for Nintendo. Overall Sony has captured 35% of the market, in the North American market, Sony has captured 41% of the market. Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market has officially ended due to the Playstation Portable, something Sega, Nokia, SNK, Bandai, and NEC were completely unable to do, let alone make a dent in it. Hell, the only reason why the Nintendo DS has such a large lead over the Playstation Portable is because of the Japanese market. The Nintendo DS' games are more focused on the Japanese market while the Playstation Portable's games are more focused on the North American market. And the handheld market is much bigger in Japan than North America.

Also, the Playstation Portable is finally getting some good games. We have Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Daxter, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, and more to come like Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, a Devil May Cry game, Silent Hill: 0rigins, and the inevitible unanounced games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Stories and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops 2 (they haven't been announced or rumored at the moment, but they are bound to happen).

And Dragon Quest 9 is not going to be the death of the Playstation Portable. Dragon Quest isn't all that successful outside of Japan.

Now don't take this as a Nintendo DS sucks comment. I have a Nintendo DS and I love it, especially StarFox Command. I view them as two separate systems though. If I want to have a moment of unique and innovative gameplay I'll go for my Nintendo DS. If I'm in the mood to play a console title on the road, I'll take my Playstation Portable. They both have some great games and to say one is better than the other is stupid on account that they are completely different.

hippie_hunter said:
That chart shows that the PSP is actually good competition for Nintendo. Overall Sony has captured 35% of the market, in the North American market, Sony has captured 41% of the market. Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market has officially ended due to the Playstation Portable, something Sega, Nokia, SNK, Bandai, and NEC were completely unable to do, let alone make a dent in it. Hell, the only reason why the Nintendo DS has such a large lead over the Playstation Portable is because of the Japanese market. The Nintendo DS' games are more focused on the Japanese market while the Playstation Portable's games are more focused on the North American market. And the handheld market is much bigger in Japan than North America.

Wow, a whole 35 ****ing percent! Oh yeah, they're really penetrating the handheld market! And that's not even including the GBA sales, so yeah.

Also, the Playstation Portable is finally getting some good games. We have Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Daxter, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, and more to come like Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, a Devil May Cry game, Silent Hill: 0rigins, and the inevitible unanounced games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Stories and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops 2 (they haven't been announced or rumored at the moment, but they are bound to happen).

Wow, it only took almost two years!

And Dragon Quest 9 is not going to be the death of the Playstation Portable. Dragon Quest isn't all that successful outside of Japan.

It certainly will be in Japan. It's already butt-raping the PSP with Pokemon. Maybe not in America, but it's still getting beat here.

Now don't take this as a Nintendo DS sucks comment. I have a Nintendo DS and I love it, especially StarFox Command. I view them as two separate systems though. If I want to have a moment of unique and innovative gameplay I'll go for my Nintendo DS. If I'm in the mood to play a console title on the road, I'll take my Playstation Portable. They both have some great games and to say one is better than the other is stupid on account that they are completely different.

I'll agree about saying one is better is crap because each as its merits. I just think that the PSP wasn't a success and that it certainly won't be any better in the future.

33-Year-Old Businessman:
Would any of us have predicted two years ago that the next Dragon Quest game would be released for a portable system? I can sense the shift in the sands of time.

Say what? Lay off the sake my man!

Panophobia said:
Wow, a whole 35 ****ing percent! Oh yeah, they're really penetrating the handheld market! And that's not even including the GBA sales, so yeah.
They took a third of the market. That's pretty good considering that Nintendo is basically the Juggernaut of the handheld market.

Wow, it only took almost two years!
I agree that it's a little sad considering that the Nintendo DS had some good games right off the bat.

It certainly will be in Japan. It's already butt-raping the PSP with Pokemon. Maybe not in America, but it's still getting beat here.
I think it will catch up in Japan if Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is a success. The Japanese love Final Fantasy. I think the North American and European markets are what going to let the Playstation Portable allow to be a here to stay handheld. It gobbled up a large portion of the market in those two territories. If it were up to Japan, there would be no Playstation Portable 2.

I'll agree about saying one is better is crap because each as its merits. I just think that the PSP wasn't a success and that it certainly won't be any better in the future.
I think ending Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market can be considered a success. That's something the other companies were unable to do. And it's sold enough to not be a failure.

hippie_hunter said:
They took a third of the market. That's pretty good considering that Nintendo is basically the Juggernaut of the handheld market.

It's certainly more than anyone else could muster, but that doesn't qualify it as a success. Of course, you're still not factoring in GBA sales (even if it is for the sake of just a DS vs. PSP comparison). Count those, and the "taking a third of the market" figure will drop significantly.

I think it will catch up in Japan if Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is a success. The Japanese love Final Fantasy. I think the North American and European markets are what going to let the Playstation Portable allow to be a here to stay handheld. It gobbled up a large portion of the market in those two territories. If it were up to Japan, there would be no Playstation Portable 2.

I'm fairly positive that FF games are more popular in NA than Japan, so I don't see CC as a saving grace. If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), CCFF7 is just a spin-off anyways?

I think ending Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market can be considered a success. That's something the other companies were unable to do. And it's sold enough to not be a failure.

I suppose it's a success in terms of reducing Nintendo's monopoly (saying it ended it is a bit of a stretch IMO) but in terms of sales in comparison with the competitor isn't really much of a success. You can compare this to the Gamecube vs. PS2. Nintendo may have profited more than Sony and in those terms it's a success, but can selling 80 million less than your competitor even be put into positive terms and considered a success?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"