Lake of Fire by Tony Kaye - Documentary on Abortion...

BaneBeatBats

Civilian
Reaction score
So I found this jewel at my local Dollar Tree store... really disturbing film.

Even made me question my stance on the issue momentarily (I'm pro-choice).

Some scenes were pretty sick. It shows an abortion being performed at the end, a picture of a dead woman who accidentally killed herself after trying to perform an abortion with a clothes hook... and it just had so many people giving their opinions. It was hard not to watch the film even though it is over 2 hours...

Noam Chomsky was the only name I recognized in the documetary aside from Kaye himself, who also worked on American History X.

My stance is pretty simple.

Abortion is a horrible thing. But sometimes, it's necessary (mother's life at risk, for example).

But most of the pro-life people shoot themselves in the foot with their positions on things like birth control and sex education.

I think abortion should stay legal like it is right now. I wouldn't have one and I don't love it but I think that us women should have that choice.

If you force women to have babies (uncluding their rapists babies) then we need to fix a few things. We won't fix those things so abortion is here to stay.

I tried to watch an abortion but had to shut off the video...like I said I wouldn't have one unless, godforbid, I were raped.

Good point on the people who want to outlaw abortion and birthcontrol and sex education. I wish more abortion foes were worried about the kid when they come into the world...

The image of an aborted fetus does nothing to sway my opinion...

As a fetus, it is an unthinking blob that can hardly be said to be human at all. Sure, it is a developing human being, but the traits that define us, and what we use to separate ourselves from the animals, are sitll not present.

With views like that this must have been some move to make you think twice about your position.

A human fetus is a developing human. It has everything necessary to become a fully developed human being.

Of course I'm also of the crazy belief that animals deserve rights, so I'm not sure how well that argument would sway me even I agreed with it.

Banebats, That's always dangerous reasoning because what about severely disabled people, do they not count as human? Also while we are intelligent animals we're still animals, don't assume there's actually a difference.

With views like that this must have been some move to make you think twice about your position.

A human fetus is a developing human. It has everything necessary to become a fully developed human being.

Of course I'm also of the crazy belief that animals deserve rights, so I'm not sure how well that argument would sway me even I agreed with it.

Hold on now, I believe animals deserve rights and I am completely against hunting. I don't think people should be able to kill animals just for the sake of killing them (then again I seem to have no issue swatting flies)... hypocritical me.

But I like to think of things realistically. A fetus has no emotions, it can't think, it lacks anything that humans like to specify to differentiate ourselves from animals. It has all the ingredients to become a person like any other, but at that stage in its life it lives inside its mother and ultimately it is her who should make the decision. She should not be forced to have a child she does not want.

and redhawk, I don't believe there is a difference. Humans are just as much 'animals' as any other species on this planet.

and of course people with severe mental disabilities are human as well.

Well first of all, fetus is a very broad term. But all fetuses have human DNA. Unique human DNA. So from the get go, they are different from other animals.

At later stages of development, fetuses can survive outside the mother. They do think. The do have emotions in later stages. At least as much as a baby. They can feel pain. But I'm assuming you mean fetuses in early development.

I would prefer it if the woman (and man, if he's in the picture) made the decision not to get pregnant in the first place. There really is no excuse for abortion in this day and age (barring rape, obviously).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"