• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Living on Glass

porchmonkey408

Civilian
Reaction score
This is a story about a man coming back to his home, which has become so different. It used to be that he was the golden boy but ever since he left for five years, the town became like any other crappy American town. Seedy and overdone. The most important people now are no-ones, all his friends moved on, his father has become mentally ill, his girlfriend has a secret, a few.

Most of all, the man who framed him for a crime he didn't commit comes back into his life in the most unconventional of ways.

What follows is the opening set-up, from the airport to home, to confronting the cop who put him away. After this, the script picks up on how the town changed, why and he sees his girlfriend and the man who framed him comes back. We find out quite a bit but what we find out won't mix, they will just be pieces to a puzzle.

Turns out the town doesn't trust him because of the gruesomeness of the crime and all those who were behind him fell apart, those against him moved away, and the town was bought out.

This is my allegory on big business and if innocence is determined by actual innocence or just how we feel on the inside.

INT. Airplane - Evening

The plane is approaching its destination soon and in a window-seat, we see Jackson, a quiet, wide-eyed man staring outside it.

JACKSON
It looks like a city...

The man next to him gives him a look and lightly laughs, going back to what he was doing before.

JACKSON
The clouds, they look like little buildings on glass...just always thought that was nice. Its pleasant, isn't it?

MAN
Yeah. Yeah.

Jackson grips his armrest and lays back, after a while of calmness, it hits him. He begins to feel heavy pain in his stomach and he looks worried, beginning to sweat.

JACKSON
Excuse me. I need to...

MAN
You alright? One second. You need help? Stuardess! This man looks sick.

STUARDESS
How long has he been like this?

MAN
Suddenly. Yeah, he was totally fine and--

JACKSON
I'm okay! Just a nervous flyer. Just a...let me get to the bathroom.

STUARDESS
Sir, we are landing soon. I don't think...

JACKSON
I'll puke on your shoes and make all these babies in coach cry. Let me go, please. I need to be alone.

Jackson pushes past anyway and despite all the looks from everyone, he stumbles into the restroom and falls onto the seat. He breathes and breathes.

JACKSON
Okay...okay...get a grip. Come on.

He looks at himself in the mirror.

JACKSON
Why are you like this?...You're going home.

He sits back down, feeling not sick...but not any better, just depressed.

JACKSON
I'm going home.

He gets out and back into his seat.

JACKSON
Sorry guys. Sorry. Just a nervous flyer.

The man next to him looks at him.

MAN
Where you coming from?

JACKSON
Texas.

MAN
One hell of a flight.

JACKSON
Well, this'll be it. I'm going home. I'm going home.

The light to buckle up comes on and the pilot warns them about some turbulence. The plane shakes.

INT. Airport - Same

Jackson gets off the plane, shaken. We follow him through the airport in one steady shot of his face. He is nervous yet happy, paranoid yet calm. We follow him from the terminal to the main entrance. Then we see a girl waiting for him. Jennifer.

JENNIFER
No luggage?

JACKSON
Shut up.

They get into her car.

INT. JENNIFER'S CAR - SAME

Silence, awkward silence. But finally...

JACKSON
How's...dad?

JENNIFER
You'll see him when we get home.

JACKSON
Just asking--

JENNIFER
Are you so impatient?

JACKSON
The hell is wrong with you?

JENNIFER
Things have been hard. That's all. I mean, it's been five years.

JACKSON
What about you? How have things been for you?

JENNIFER
See? I'm here. Good job. (Pause) Hell, Jack. And it's only been getting worse.

JACKSON
I'm sorry to hear things have been hard.

JENNIFER
You don't even--

She pulls over and gets out, sits on the side of the road and cries.

JACKSON
Jennifer...(He gets out to her) Jen! Hey! Why are you crying? Huh? I'm back! I'm alive!

JENNIFER
I know...its just...dad and Meredith. Sam and Calvin. Things are bad Jackson. I'm sorry...

JACKSON
Get back in the car, please. We need to get back.

JENNIFER
To the front porch?

JACKSON
Then to the club. Then to the gun-shop. Then to Meredith.

She hugs him hard.

JENNIFER
I love you.

JACKSON
I love you too. Don't worry. I'm here.

EXT. HOME - NIGHT

Jennifer rushes in.

JENNIFER
Guess who's back!

Jackson walks up the front-porch and sits down at the bench. Suddenly, he hears a rolling and looks at the opening door and sees an old man in a wheelchair, his dad, Barry.

BARRY
Jack!

JACKSON
Dad?...Dad. Dad. What the hell happened!?

BARRY
Nice to see you too. Jeez! Let's have cake!...How have you been Jackson? I've missed you.

JACKSON
I know dad, I've missed you too.

Jennifer sits next to Jackson and holds his hand. Jackson pulls it away slightly.

BARRY
Well? How are you?

JACKSON
Confused. Why are you in a wheelchair?

BARRY
Doctor says I'm unstable! Would you believe that?

JACKSON
Yes.

BARRY
What'd you say?

JACKSON
Um...yes! Yes I would! Jennifer...

JENNIFER
Come on dad. Go inside.

BARRY
My son's back Jenny. Can you believe it? This is the best day of my life!

JENNIFER
I'm sure.

She takes him inside and Jackson can hear unintelligible mumblings and ruckus. He puts his head in his hands. Jennifer returns to his side.

JENNIFER
Look. I told you you'd see. You'd act all crazy in the car. Dad's "mental health" slipped once you left. You saw coming in. This place has fallen apart.

JACKSON
He never was that weak. Not when he used too--

JENNIFER
Mentally. Not physically. He can walk, but he's unstable. Right now, he's so overwhelmed he isn't in any shape to talk to you. Once he calms down, he'll get a beer or three and have a nice talk with you.

JACKSON
A talk.

JENNIFER
Yeah, that's what I said.

JACKSON
You said "nice." (Pause) When do you think that'll be?

JENNIFER
Give it two hours.

JACKSON
Then I'll be back in two hours...I need to get out. That feeling is coming back.

JENNIFER
Feeling?

JACKSON
On the plane. I got sick. I was looking at how nice the clouds were then I started feeling sick.

JENNIFER
Want me to go with you?

JACKSON
No, it'll only make it worse.

JENNIFER
What's the feeling?

JACKSON
Reality.

JENNIFER
You've been here five minutes! Why don't you just sit and talk to me? I'm your sister!

JACKSON
Shut up Jen! So dad is crazy! Doctor's are helping. So this town is changing! Don't you think I'm as shocked? As if it only matters to you...Do you know how much being here hurts? I can't even go inside Jennifer!

JENNIFER
Why not?

JACKSON
Because it hurts too much. I'm going for a walk. Maybe Calvin and Sam are at their places. Bye.

JENNIFER
Wait. Wait. Wait.

JACKSON
Jesus Christ...

JENNIFER
You are my brother and I love you. I need you to just stay and calm yourself down.

JACKSON
Damnit.

JENNIFER
What? Jackson?

Jackson falls down the steps leading up to his house. He gets up and carries on down an alley.

JENNIFER
Jackson!

JACKSON
One hour.

EXT. ALLEYWAY - SAME

Jackson leans against a wall and slides to the ground to sit. He holds his stomach and breathes heavily. He begins to cry a little. He forces himself up but cannot seem to face leaving the alley for a walk on the town. He looks at his wrists, they have marks all around it, they are aching. He hears footsteps behind him.

FOOTSTEPS
Sir? Sir, are you alright?

Jackson begins to walk away slowly but the Footsteps catch up to him and touch his shoulder to him around. Jackson freaks and hits the ground, looking to the man who touched him. Its Officer Greenburn.

GREENBURN
Jackson!?

Jackson gets up to run away from him, but Jackson falls down on his knees in a puddle and falls to his side.

JACKSON
Please, get away...

GREENBURN
Jesus. Get up. Get up Jackson.

JACKSON
Screw you. How are you still here?

GREENBURN
It was a mistake but since things have been getting worse, I've been doing better. Get up.

JACKSON
Don't touch me, okay?...Okay?

GREENBURN
Fine.

Jackson gets up.

JACKSON
Bye. Don't come near me again.

Jackson heads for the street but hesitates at going out.

GREENBURN
You're out, aren't you?

Jackson freezes.

GREENBURN
What would you have done if you were me?

JACKSON
I've known you forever. That's what I would have done. Known me.

Jackson forces himself out onto the street and walks down the street. He looks around at the downtown.

JACKSON
Jesus Christ.

Greenburn catches up with him.

GREENBURN
Its one big downtown with houses. Thats all. Just as small as ever, but with a pulse. Dangerous, sick, stupid pulse...but pulse. Pulse is pulse. (Defeaning silence) Remember being a kid here? The buildings seemed so big but as we grew up, they got smaller. Who would've thought they'd seem so big again? That's what I call starting over, huh?

JACKSON
At night, it was like an old, noir flick. The sky had no stars and the buildings no tops...Its the same thing again.

GREENBURN
There you are.

JACKSON
You think by relating to me, charming me, you'll get back on my good side? You know what made me most mad? You weren't there to hear my side because "it hurt too much." Hurt. You don't even know. Seen my dad lately?

GREENBURN
It took forever to be accepted back into your house.

JACKSON
Wait...they took you back into the house?

GREENBURN
Not to live anymore, but to visit. To be friends. Yeah. (Pause) Come back to the car. Where do you want to go?

JACKSON
I want to see Sam and Calvin. Please. At the club. The shop. But I can walk.

GREENBURN
You can go see them, or go to the club and shop. Because they don't own them anymore.

Jackson stops and turns to Greenburn.

JACKSON
I won't even ask. Just take me to them.

CUT TO:

EXT. FRONT PORCH - SAME

There sit Calvin and Sam, two elderly men who used to run the town.

CALVIN
What do you think about--

SAM
I hate it.

CALVIN
What the hell? Now, listen to me honestly. What do you think about me moving to Florida?

SAM
With all them old fogeys there? Nothing but old, white, hairy 90 year-olds on the beach. Where are the women!? Remember back when we were 50 when Miami Vice was on...Actually, go ahead.

CALVIN
Thanks.

SAM
No problem.

CALVIN
Hear who's supposed to be back soon?

SAM
Jackson.

CALVIN
So much for me asking.

SAM
How about I walk on over there and shove my foot all the way down your smart-ass thoat so it can come out your ass, then I can take it back out the same way so it'll go back up your ass and out your damn mouth too!?

CALVIN
Sit your 80 year-old bag of bones down. Cop's coming.

SAM
Holy s***...so is Jackson.

Jackson is ready to get out.

JACKSON
You aren't coming?

GREENBURN
I can't. These guys...does it really surprise you that I won't get out? It was easy to get in good with your father and sister but not them, not Cal and Sam. They are impossible.

JACKSON
Your loss.

Jackson runs up to the porch.

JACKSON
I won't even say "hi" first. Just...what the hell happened?

CALVIN
We changed with the city. You don't just throw away a deal to have the town's biggest club and the county's number one gun-shop bought out, do ya? Especially when you are getting the money.

SAM
So we did. We did. I miss it though, the sound of the club.

CALVIN
The sound of the guns...

SAM
It used to be so different around here.

JACKSON
Its so depressing. You know what? Screw that. Remember that time when I was about 15 and I brought that girl on by? You gave me plenty of alone time until Sam came in buck-naked to get some milk from the fridge.

CALVIN
Whatever happened to her?

JACKSON
We fell in love. Thanks Sam.

SAM
I do what I can.

JACKSON
You know, not to keep on the subject, but...you have to give the town some credit. Look at it.

CALVIN
Looks like old days.

SAM
Exactly.

JACKSON
I ran into Greenburn as you saw. Its okay, you know? I just need to learn to trust him again. Its hard but I guess...I don't know...I can see through him like that.

CALVIN
Yeah, well you careful or I'll have blow his head clean off.

SAM
Shut up. You owned that gun-shop because you sucked at using them but you were one hell of a seller. Those cops use your guns.

JACKSON
Let's get drunk. Please. What happened to the club anyway?

SAM
Still up. Still going.

JACKSON
Let's go.

SAM
You can. We're here son.

CALVIN
We can barely make it out to the porch, but the view is too much not to. You go. Go. Though I see Greenburn left you.

JACKSON
And I can't leave you guys. Let's go inside then. Tell me everything. What's happened since I've been gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"