Lizzie McGuire revival on Disney +

This will only be interesting if they let the show age with the actress and the audience.

I always thought a continuation of Boy Meets World in the style of New Girl or Happy Endings would've been cool, but instead they went with the same show, only with the kids playing the parents now.

This will only be interesting if they let the show age with the actress and the audience.

I always thought a continuation of Boy Meets World in the style of New Girl or Happy Endings would've been cool, but instead they went with the same show, only with the kids playing the parents now.
I completely agree. Can't stand it when they do it like that.

That's usually what they do for Disney channel shows.

And the parents are usually goofier than the kids...

If you've seen that show Younger on TV Land that's about what I'd think a grown Lizzie would be.

I’ll be checking this out.

This is cool.

If Disney+ brings back So Weird I’ll lose it.

Minus one showrunner:

‘Lizzie McGuire’ Creator Exits Showrunner Post on Disney Plus Revival (EXCLUSIVE)

Lizzie McGuire” creator Terri Minsky is stepping away from her role as showrunner on the upcoming revival of the series for Disney Plus. A new showrunner has not yet been named.

“Fans have a sentimental attachment to ‘Lizzie McGuire’ and high expectations for a new series,” said to a Disney spokesperson. “After filming two episodes, we concluded that we need to move in a different creative direction and are putting a new lens on the show.”

Production on the show has been placed on hiatus amid the transition as Disney sets a new showrunner for the series. Star Hilary Duff is currently honeymooning in Mozambique with her new husband, Matthew Koma.

Shots fired.

This is exactly the point I was making the other day about the Love Simon show, that it was beneficial to move it to Hulu, away from the scrutiny of what is deemed 'family friendly' for various regions of the country. Here we have Duff wanting the same thing for her show, unfortunately it would have likely happened already if it wasn't a guaranteed audience driver for Disney +. I suspect the delays were in part due to Disney figuring out this issue themselves, but I'm not sure a D-lister trying to gain leverage on Instagram is the best strategy. We'll see. They may just cut ties completely at this point.

Ugh....Disney is great and all put damn can't you see that you have adult fans as well? Maybe not everything you do has to be a family thing. Maybe it's for teens or adults for once. Or maybe it's actually not that bad for kids. These easily triggered mommies and daddies can jump off a cliff. It's not just conservative people either, but Tipper Gore types as well.

Ugh....Disney is great and all put damn can't you see that you have adult fans as well? Maybe not everything you do has to be a family thing. Maybe it's for teens or adults for once. Or maybe it's actually not that bad for kids. These easily triggered mommies and daddies can jump off a cliff. It's not just conservative people either, but Tipper Gore types as well.

I agree in general, but in this case a large number of the audience for this service is kids. The reason this service will scale better then most services is because of that particular brand indentity, or what the Disney name 'means' to people in terms of affinity. It's uniquely it's own thing and a large part of the company's moat. They will protect that at all costs and they should (like it or hate it.) So yes, it's business. Which brings me back, again, to Hulu. That's their get out of jail card for this type of situation. The real issue is the development creatives behind the scenes at Disney + imho. The flexibility to be able to move things between streamers is great, but two shows have already moved and another one is up in the air. I think Iger will (or should) address the development strategy (and perhaps the executives) in his new role. There is no convincing reason beyond mismanagement why two episodes for Lizzie needed to be shot before it was determined it may play against what's considered 'family friendly' in middle America. Assuming that stereotype is an issue.

Last edited:
The Simpsons is apparently fine even though some of their episodes skew much more mature than others.

I would assume the fact it's animated plays a large role. Also, a lot of the more adult stuff would go over the younger viewers heads. In terms of the business angle of launching a new streamer, we're talking about one of the biggest, most iconic shows on the planet with 650 + shows and well over 300 hrs of potential engagement. Goes a long way to creating the 'stickiness' that this business model desires. This will eventually be more of an all-ages 4 quadrant service per Kevin Mayer, they just need to better identify the type of adult content they want on the service. There is obviously a lot of grey area for how that's determined, so until they clarify the strategy and parameters internally, it's probably best if they stick to the meat and potatoes no-brainer acceptable content for Disney + (ie the brands they built the service on) and put the rest (like adult-skewing rom-coms that could potentially work on Disney +) on Hulu. Or Freeform then Hulu. Save everyone the headaches.

Last edited:
And that's probably the closest we'll get to a new show.

In short, Duff and Minsky wanted to do a more adult version of Lizzie for the revival, while Disney wants a show that would appeal to kids and families, something more akin to the original series.

Hillary Duff isn't a kid anymore, Disney. Tragic that we won't get to see this, but I admire Duff sticking to her guns and wanting to create a series that would show the evolution of Lizzie McGuire, rather than just possibly doing Disney's bidding by doing a carbon copy of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"