Lobo

Green Arrow67

Civilian
Reaction score
So how many LOBO fans do we have. I have been a Lobo Fan for many years. I mean hes crude, hes rude, and the comics are a hoot to read. And for the record i am not a fan of the New 52 LOBO. What do you think..??

Lobo_v.1_3.jpg

The new "skinny" Backstreet Boy Lobo??? The one in this week's Supergirl issue?:woot: :doh:

Skinny pretty boy Lobo is really, really stupid. Basically, they don't get the point of the character (which is nothing new with the New 52). Old DCU Lobo was entertaining when written well. Who doesn't like the Main Man?

I've never liked Lobo as a character. I get the point that he's a parody of how awful a lot of techniques of the 1990's comics were, but I just always kinda found him obnoxious. But even I find New 52 Lobo to be offensive.

I've never liked Lobo as a character. I get the point that he's a parody of how awful a lot of techniques of the 1990's comics were, but I just always kinda found him obnoxious. But even I find New 52 Lobo to be offensive.

What are they doing?? SMH

I like Lobo because hes not a Hero, and hes not something you would fins in a Richie Rich Comic. Hes Crude, and after all the do gooder books sometime you need a jerk in a comic book

Did DC explain how the Lobo from Deathstroke ended up in Stormwatch?

I never read his comics, but man, I loved cartoon Lobo. Oh and he was great in 52.

Any thoughts on the new series?

i love how people say they miss the original lobo, when the new lobo is actually more similar to the real original one which isnt the crazy biker one, atleast say you like the biker style lobo.

the first one is from omega men
fred_hembeck_omega_men.jpg

i dont mind the new design tho

Last edited:
i love how people say they miss the original lobo, when the new lobo is actually more similar to the real original one which isnt the crazy biker one, atleast say you like the biker style lobo.

the first one is from omega men
fred_hembeck_omega_men.jpg

i dont mind the new design tho
Lobo is a lot like Deadpool. And by that I mean that no one gives a **** about the original interpretation of the character. The interpretation of Lobo that people actually like is the one that is designed to represent parody. This would be like trying to do a serious Deadpool in today's day and age while taking a crap all over the version that people like.

Actually ALOT of comic readers DO give a ****, this NEW Lobo sucks ass..

Actually ALOT of comic readers DO give a ****, this NEW Lobo sucks ass..
That's pretty much what I'm saying. No one gives a crap about the interpretation of Lobo that first appeared in Omega Men, they care about the more parodied interpretation that Alan Grant fleshed out. The same way that no one gives a crap about the original interpretation of Deadpool by Rob Liefeld in favor of Joe Kelly's interpretation.

Essentially having Lobo essentially regress back into an interpretation that no one gives a damn about is a stupid move on DC's part. Again, bringing up the Deadpool comparison, it would be like if Marvel decided to have Deadpool go back to being the character he was in New Mutants/X-Force, fans aren't going to like it. And treating the version of Lobo that fans like as Faux-bo is just salt on a very large open wound.

I'm not at all a big Lobo fan, but you guys have my sympathy on this one.

I was never the biggest Lobo fan. I like the character well enough but he's not even in my top 100. I would say I'm most familiar with him through his appearances in L.E.G.I.O.N. and later R.E.B.E.L.S. As well as his minis from the early 90's and his cameos in 90's Superman books. Most recently my last encounter with the character was in the Weird Worlds mini from shortly before Flashpoint.

But I read the book anyway.

1) Because I was still curious about how a new 52 Lobo story would play out now that he has his own platform and isn't cameoing in other books like Supergirl.

and

2) Because everybody keeps talking so highly about this Cullen Bunn guy's work for the big 2 all over the comic book boards.

Even though his "New 52 Lobo is like Han Solo and Leon the Professional" quote was a red flag since that's how hack writers talk I still gave him the benefit of the doubt. Since I don't read Sinestro or Magneto I won't judge too harshly but judging by his unfocused and generic work on this title I don't think he brought his A-game one bit. It was as bland and unfocused as a I hoped it wouldn't be. Like something you get from a first time writer who can't do anything but succumb to senseless editorial mandates.

He even has the "cool" bad ass alien from light years away still saying "Sorry. Not Sorry" which was already played out on Earth long before New 52 Lobo first appeared saying it last year. I normally don't mind a new take on a classic but it has to be interesting and at least retain some core elements.

Nothing about this book reminded me that it was a Lobo title at all. At least not how I knew it being someone who started reading comics in the late 80's. The key being a cartoony sense of humor, tone and atmosphere while embracing the irreverence of it all.

Instead this Lobo has nightmares as opposed to being completely apathetic. He's not funny as opposed to being witty and vulgar. Oh sometimes he does try to play like he's apathetic but it's not genuine and just a big front because in the end he still wears his heart on his sleeves. He is now another indistinguishable antihero.

The ironic thing is that with the major sales success of Harley Quinn and the critical acclaim of JL 3000 you could tell that DC readers want a book that doesn't take itself so seriously in the New 52. That's a lane a Lobo book could theoretically play in. That's a niche a Lobo book could traditionally fill. Hell in the same interview that Bunn guy gave that suspect quote in he also stated what his original pitch.

It was a Simon & Simon type deal with Old Lobo and Nu Lobo going on intergalactic adventures. Now THAT would've been infinitely more interesting than what we got. We would've had the dynamic biker Lobo contrasting with the more straight & narrow nu Lobo which would've resulted in an odd couple meets buddy cop movie dynamic with endless possibilities.

Since that actually would've had great appeal since it's revamping Lobo but still staying true to what made him iconic of course DC editorial passed on it. Instead they opted to keep the straight man without the comedic foil to spice things up so it feels like a chore to read.

It's a shame too cause even if they wanted to go the route that they eventually did all it would've taken to make it more true to what Lobo was is unconventionally presenting the misadventures of a badass merc for hire with emotional demons. The key word of course being "unconventional" since traditionally Lobo has no emotional demons but since DC editorial were so stubborn and insistent on that it still could've been pulled off in a more creative way.

Look at The Will in Saga for example and with that character it's done freshly enough that you don't wince at the character just because it's a tired trope. It's fresh enough to make a tale you have heard many times over come across as new once more because they add new twists and turns.

Instead of subverting those tropes though Bunn just lazily plods along and gives in. He gives the character no real personality and sense of self. For example his narrative captions are extremely tonally inconsistent and you almost wonder if it's the same character at all by issue's end.

So with that said I don't see myself buying issue 2. It's just not what a Lobo fan would expect in terms of characterization and tone. Not giving the one fanbase that could keep this book afloat something they could chew on was it's greatest mistake. Insulting them by completely ****ting on their guy in the first few pages didn't do them any favors either.

The only thing any existing Lobo could take away from it besides the awesome art is that at least the character still has a penchant for being ultra violent. But that's about the only things it has in common with traditional Lobo and frankly that's just not good enough. It's just too shallow and doesn't even really tap into what made Lobo really stick which was his attitude and overall way of being not just the fact that he was ultra violent and a killer for hire.

It's why I don't see this book lasting very long and being swept under the rug and forgotten like it never happened once it's finally cancelled. Because if you can't even engage the biggest fans of the characters let alone those of us who were never hardcore fans then who the hell are you writing this book for? So in that sense fear not Lobo hardcores because in due time your guy is bound to return again.

Last edited:
I prefer that the biker Lobo still exist, but I'm warming up to the new one. I enjoyed Lobo #1 (New 52) and I plan on sticking with the series for a while.

Lobo #1 and Justice League United are the only things Ive seen the new Lobo in and he didn't seem at all the way people describe him, like a backstreet boy or a twilight vampire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"