Lost Songs

Calvin

Muchas smooches
Reaction score
Just wanted to touch on something that's really been frustrating me lately. Namely, songs that are just flat out unavailable. The main culprit, commercials. I can't tell you how many times I've heard awesome beats on commercials, gone to look them up, only to find out that they were specialized beats by some specialized sample studio and that they'll never be released. Or that they're fantastic reduxes (by the same kinds of studios) of songs that actually suck in their original form. Recent frustrations, that Absolut Pear commercial with the green snake (here), and the Hyundai Elantra commercial with the moving frames (here).

Sometimes this happens with movie trailers, but it seems to be much less frequent, as trailers usually just go for pre-existing music.

If you're going to make cool music specially made for a commercial, there should be a law that you have to make it publically available in some way. F**k that privatized stuff.

I can't see how releasing a lot of commercialized songs would hurt the company, either. I mean, wouldn't you want music lovers to associate a specific song with your product?

Maybe it's a clever marketing ploy: hiding the information about the song so that anyone who is interested is forced to spend time searching around information directly related to the product/company/commercial...

They don't make it easy. What would it hurt to give the artist a tiny credit, as one would see at the beginning of a music video? As much as ABC's network ads annoy me, they do often credit the artist. (Probably all Disney-connected, but still...)

I can't see how releasing a lot of commercialized songs would hurt the company, either. I mean, wouldn't you want music lovers to associate a specific song with your product?

Maybe it's a clever marketing ploy: hiding the information about the song so that anyone who is interested is forced to spend time searching around information directly related to the product/company/commercial...
Well, they don't seem to hide it too often, you can find out the titles and artist names from them, the problem is that the studios making them won't let them out. I can kind of understand the business reasons behind that line, since they don't make their money selling albums, but rather making expensive samples for corporations, but still, it sucks balls.

Although, I remember when Immediate Music didn't put out their music that they made for movie trailers, but eventually did. I wonder how that worked out for them. Either way, I want that goddamn pear song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"