Iron Man Mark Fergus on Iron Man

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
Writer Mark Fergus on Iron Man

Source:JewReview.net
February 9, 2007

JewReview.net tells us that they have posted a new interview with Iron Man co-writer Mark Fergus. He gives some interesting details about Tony Stark's transformation and more. You can watch the clip here!

Iron Man, directed by Jon Favreau and starring Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges, opens on May 2, 2008.

Email Story to a Friend | Discuss on the Boards

http://superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5196

Nice interview, gives us more insite into what they have planned, I'm so "geeked" for this movie, its hard to believe its over a year away.

screenwriters of superhero movies should be required to give video interviews from now on. :up:

can anyone pls post a summary of what he said?

thanks.....

Cool interview. He seems to have a good grasp on Tony's character. I like how he seems to see Tony as very human and flawed.

I like what he had to say,if they get Stark right then the Iron Man half should fall into place easy,the audience need to care about Tony to root for Iron Man

Also the fact the guy and his writing partner on this wrote Children of men bodes really well as that was a very good movie

Damnit. The video won't load for me. Anyone got it up on youtube or something?

I like what he had to say,if they get Stark right then the Iron Man half should fall into place easy,the audience need to care about Tony to root for Iron Man
:up:
That must have to be the greatest saying by any comic book writer so far.
The man is always more important than the hero, we need always to care for that, because the rest just falls into place.
With the man behind the mask, a superhero is just an empty shell with powers.

I really hope Ironman is a great movie, everything points at it for being a high quality film!! From the actors to writers, everyone on the production team seem really focused for this film!! No Marvel superhero adaption film has yet to match the great films like SM 1 and 2 or X-men 1 and 2, so maybe Ironman will turn things around!!!:cwink:

Isildur´s Heir;11163153 said:
:up:
That must have to be the greatest saying by any comic book writer so far.
The man is always more important than the hero, we need always to care for that, because the rest just falls into place.
With the man behind the mask, a superhero is just an empty shell with powers.

The comic book audiences who read Civil War won't care that much about Iron Man. Tony Stark is written as an evil, scheming overlord.

I guess I have to wait for this n00b sheen to dull before I can post a new topic, so I'll bump this one back to the top.

New interview with Fergus

Sheila Roberts @ Movies Online said:
MoviesOnline recently caught up with
writer/director Mark Fergus ("Children of Men,” "First Snow”) and asked him about writing the screenplay for the upcoming "Iron Man” which is currently in pre-production and slated to start shooting next month for release in 2008.
When billionaire industrialist and genius inventor Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon, he uses his intelligence and ingenuity instead to build a high-tech suit of armor and escape his captors. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world as the heroic Iron Man based on the Marvel Comics character.

We asked Mark Fergus if he referred to the comics or if he went in with a blank slate. Here’s what he had to tell us:

Mark Fergus: It’s kind of both approaches. It’s the guys who are the Marvel guys. There’s a tremendous motherload of history and detail, and being respected and being considered from the whole history of the project – from creation to yesterday. And then there’s also a tremendous opportunity to look at it, from the outside, as a story that needs to do certain things, and to find out what else could be done, and to not let anything be off limits. It’s kind of the best of both worlds which I think will be great for the fans, but it’s also not going to be just stocking that cage like it has to follow everything because the comics evolved, too.

Everything has been tried in the comics over the years, and they’re taking a really broad approach to ‘what’s the coolest story,’ ‘what’s the most interesting story,’ and anything goes that fits into that – that feels right, obviously not just anything. I think it’s a smart thing, they’re being really open but they’re not going anywhere that fans wouldn’t be totally psyched about. I think it’s the best of both worlds.

And I’m an outsider coming in because I’m not a comic book guy, so I’m learning it from the perspective of someone who hasn’t grown up with the comics; and there are other writers on it who were comic guys. So they’re hitting it from a lot of cool approaches, and Jon [Favreau] is the ringleader, who says ‘This is the movie. Bam!’ And he’s great, by the way. It’s in amazingly deft hands, so he’s a natural story teller and he’s going to really knock it out of the park, I believe. So there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"